SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When shopping for the car in January, I forgot to ask about the hitch, since we use a bike carrier few times a year. So post purchase, I asked around and found that the aftermarket options are limited. U-Haul doesn't have one and e-trailer requires cutting through the heat shield and what not. So the Volvo Genuine was what I had left. I found out that the only option available is the retractable hitch. The two concerns I had were
1- Cost. PArt + installation was around $1,500
2- wight limitation for the bike carrier - not towing. Limited to a 2-bike carrier and 130lb limit.

Not having an option, I got it installed. Here's a link to the youtube video that shows how it work. https://youtu.be/LxogKlDh9m0

·
Registered
17 Posts
We also just had the retractable hitch installed at our dealership. I did not read the fine print on the specs for the bike rack part. I assumed that since it is a true class 3 hitch with the tongue limit of 500 lbs (5,000 lbs towing), that the hitch could handle more than a 130 lb bike carrier? Completely limited to 2 bikes instead of 4? For the price this is crazy and frustrating as we have kids and need to haul more than 2 bikes!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Part of the hitch install involves adding the towing module as well as the wire harness. Just those parts probably cost around $250 and then there is the labor to install. So that is usually in addition to the hitch. At least I hope you got the towing module as part of the install? As for the limit on the bike carrier that is a bummer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Part of the hitch install involves adding the towing module as well as the wire harness. Just those parts probably cost around $250 and then there is the labor to install. So that is usually in addition to the hitch. At least I hope you got the towing module as part of the install? As for the limit on the bike carrier that is a bummer.
We recently bought a CPO '17 XC90 and it came with a tow hitch - the old OEM style with the hole in the bumper and a cover over it, not the new folding type.
Like the one show here - https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?238833-XC90-Trailer-Hitch-Pictures&p=2603025&viewfull=1#post2603025

How do I know if the tow module (and associated software) was also installed? Is there a way to check/tell from the options in the Sensus display?

·
Registered
38 Posts
We also just had the retractable hitch installed at our dealership. I did not read the fine print on the specs for the bike rack part. I assumed that since it is a true class 3 hitch with the tongue limit of 500 lbs (5,000 lbs towing), that the hitch could handle more than a 130 lb bike carrier? Completely limited to 2 bikes instead of 4? For the price this is crazy and frustrating as we have kids and need to haul more than 2 bikes!
There might be more digging that's necessary. The fine print specifies the Volvo bike rate part which anyway has a physical capacity at 2 bikes.
https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC90(16-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-516542/2020

Otherwise, I would combine the knowledge of max tongue weight, and 2.5" receiver depth to see if other hitch bike rack solutions have any other guiding information.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When shopping for the car in January, I forgot to ask about the hitch, since we use a bike carrier few times a year. So post purchase, I asked around and found that the aftermarket options are limited. U-Haul doesn't have one and e-trailer requires cutting through the heat shield and what not. So the Volvo Genuine was what I had left. I found out that the only option available is the retractable hitch. The two concerns I had were
1- Cost. PArt + installation was around $1,500
2- wight limitation for the bike carrier - not towing. Limited to a 2-bike carrier and 130lb limit.
Not having an option, I got it installed. Here's a link to the youtube video that shows how it work. https://youtu.be/LxogKlDh9m0

I’m not totally sure what problem Volvo is working on, with the 2 bike limit, given the 500# tongue weight limit. Must be some sort of unspecified, breakaway torque limit that will unlock the receiver and cause it to swival down. I have this hitch on my 2020 and have used it for transporting a golf scooter via a hitch mount motorcycle rack, with no problems:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WT7QT3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The scooter weighs about 175#. I would guess that the rail of the rack is about 20#. I don’t have the rack with me, but I’m guess that the center of the rack is about two ft from the receiver, giving a torque of about 400 ft-lb. You can measure the horizontal distance from the receiver to the attachment point of each of the bicycles, estimate the weight of the bicycles, and do the arithmetic. I’m guessing that you are nowhere near what I am doing. Seems to me that Volvo is specifying some sort of Swedish uber worst case...?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
We recently bought a CPO '17 XC90 and it came with a tow hitch - the old OEM style with the hole in the bumper and a cover over it, not the new folding type.
Like the one show here - https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?238833-XC90-Trailer-Hitch-Pictures&p=2603025&viewfull=1#post2603025

How do I know if the tow module (and associated software) was also installed? Is there a way to check/tell from the options in the Sensus display?
If the module was installed you'd have the wiring harness for 7pin and 4pin blades and in Sensus you'll have the option to switch to the backup trailer ball line in addition to the width of the car backup lines. In the Exterior lighting section you'll also have the option to trigger a manual trailer light check. It may be greyed out if if you don't have a trailer connected.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I’m not totally sure what problem Volvo is working on, with the 2 bike limit, given the 500# tongue weight limit. Must be some sort of unspecified, breakaway torque limit that will unlock the receiver and cause it to swival down. I have this hitch on my 2020 and have used it for transporting a golf scooter via a hitch mount motorcycle rack, with no problems:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WT7QT3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The scooter weighs about 175#. I would guess that the rail of the rack is about 20#. I don’t have the rack with me, but I’m guess that the center of the rack is about two ft from the receiver, giving a torque of about 400 ft-lb. You can measure the horizontal distance from the receiver to the attachment point of each of the bicycles, estimate the weight of the bicycles, and do the arithmetic. I’m guessing that you are nowhere near what I am doing. Seems to me that Volvo is specifying some sort of Swedish uber worst case...?
You'd be surprised, the weight of a 4 bike carrier like the Thule T2 Pro with extension is over 100lbs and when lowered to carry bikes hangs 5 feet beyond the receiver. Throw a 30lbs MTB bike on it at the end and excluding the weight of the rack you've got close to 140 to 155ft-lb (give or take the actual distance form the fulcrum) which easily exceeds the torque of a 500lbs trailer hitch weight assuming 0.25ft distance from the hitch's fulcrum. Throw 3 more bikes on it and you could be looking at the worst case they recommend avoiding.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
You'd be surprised, the weight of a 4 bike carrier like the Thule T2 Pro with extension is over 100lbs and when lowered to carry bikes hangs 5 feet beyond the receiver. Throw a 30lbs MTB bike on it at the end and excluding the weight of the rack you've got close to 140 to 155ft-lb (give or take the actual distance form the fulcrum) which easily exceeds the torque of a 500lbs trailer hitch weight assuming 0.25ft distance from the hitch's fulcrum. Throw 3 more bikes on it and you could be looking at the worst case they recommend avoiding.
Yes, good point. I was thinking the same, but could not remember "fulcrum" Where the weight is applied does indeed make a difference. This is another reason to purchase or upgrade your bike with super light weight components...... So get rid of the 40lb monster and get yourself a $5000+ 18 pounder.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I've had the first iteration of the Volvo hitch (fixed bar) and now the retractable one. While using v1, I would swap our Thule XT2 Pro back and forth with our other XC90 (2010) and that was getting to be a bit of a drag. I ended up getting 2 more roof mount carriers we have 2 Volvo roof mount bike carriers that clamp onto the downtube and the two new ones are Thule through axle fork mounts. All 4 fit on the roof using Volvo's AeroBars. It was fortunate as when I got upgraded to the retractable tow bar (rear ended - killing the first hitch, which btw did a fantastic job saving the crush boxes in the rear of the car - no body damage, just a lot of new replacement parts including new seatbelts for a hefty cost of $15k) it helped push me to use the roof mounts. A downside of the hitch mount on the SPA XC90 is the large lift gate which means you always have to lower the bike carrier to access anything in the rear. This compressor to our P2 XC90 which has a shorter lift gate thanks to it's split gate. Anyway, roof mounting on our 2017 has been great and reduces the inconvenience of having the large carrier off the back, swapping it between cars. I do have the running boards which have been great especially to more easily use the roof bars for bikes.

The only upside to getting hit from the rear was getting the tow bar upgrade. I like the design on the new one - a hybrid of the primitive American hitch with more thoughtful/clean folding European style.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Yes, good point. I was thinking the same, but could not remember "fulcrum" Where the weight is applied does indeed make a difference. This is another reason to purchase or upgrade your bike with super light weight components...... So get rid of the 40lb monster and get yourself a $5000+ 18 pounder.
LOL - even a proper full carbon downhill $10k+ Santa Cruz, or any full suspension trail bike will be 25+lbs. No getting around their heft. On the flip side my cyclocross bike is a nimble 14lbs by comparison. I've not weighed by Defcon MTB but it's easily 30lbs, perhaps more. Sadly weight saving design isn't typically an advertised or feature MTBs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That’s pretty heavy.

People who have a concern will have to measure and weigh their own situations. I have direct experience with 400 ft-lb of torque working without problems, so this might be a point of reference.

I just completed a 1900 mile cross country trip with this box on our xc90. I didn’t have this box heavily loaded, but I’m guessing that it was also at about 400 ft-lb, and not more. No problems, and we hit some pretty good size bumps. It’s the impulse from things like bumps, and not static measurements per se, that will determine performance limits in the end.

https://www.stowaway2.com/max-cargo-carrier-black

We travel paved roads only, and I’m confident in my situation. Maybe Volvo is concerned that people with large bicycle racks are more likely going off road. I hadn’t thought about that. Off road jarring might be the limiting consideration...?

·
Registered
42 Posts
If the module was installed you'd have the wiring harness for 7pin and 4pin blades and in Sensus you'll have the option to switch to the backup trailer ball line in addition to the width of the car backup lines. In the Exterior lighting section you'll also have the option to trigger a manual trailer light check. It may be greyed out if if you don't have a trailer connected.
Thanks for that. The car does have the tow module - has the wiring harness and the option to switch to single line for the backup in Sensus.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The euro hitch doesn't have that restriction, I use mine with a Thule 929 3 bike rack and 90 lbs worth of bikes. You'd think they'd have the same weight restrictions and Volvo offers a Thule 4 bike rack as an accessory.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/d...ment/VCC-510550/2017/T6 AWD/Automatic?lang=en

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The euro hitch doesn't have that restriction, I use mine with a Thule 929 3 bike rack and 90 lbs worth of bikes. You'd think they'd have the same weight restrictions and Volvo offers a Thule 4 bike rack as an accessory.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/d...ment/VCC-510550/2017/T6 AWD/Automatic?lang=en
They recently (with Thule) started bringing EU style tow mounted bike carriers to the US. Perhaps they will have a 4 bike equivalent for the US like what you have in Germany. Although, the dynamics are different, it's possible the new US retractable bar could handle more, but until more is known would you risk it? There are to many differences in design and requirements between the EU tow bar and primitive US tow hitches to know comparable limits except for what is published. The EU tow bar is rated for 2700kg (19% more than US tow bar) yet 310lbs of ball pressure, (62% of the US's). I'm sure other factors (and laws of the land beyond physics) play in to the warnings and rated differences.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've had the first iteration of the Volvo hitch (fixed bar) and now the retractable one. While using v1, I would swap our Thule XT2 Pro back and forth with our other XC90 (2010) and that was getting to be a bit of a drag. I ended up getting 2 more roof mount carriers we have 2 Volvo roof mount bike carriers that clamp onto the downtube and the two new ones are Thule through axle fork mounts. All 4 fit on the roof using Volvo's AeroBars. It was fortunate as when I got upgraded to the retractable tow bar (rear ended - killing the first hitch, which btw did a fantastic job saving the crush boxes in the rear of the car - no body damage, just a lot of new replacement parts including new seatbelts for a hefty cost of $15k) it helped push me to use the roof mounts. A downside of the hitch mount on the SPA XC90 is the large lift gate which means you always have to lower the bike carrier to access anything in the rear. This compressor to our P2 XC90 which has a shorter lift gate thanks to it's split gate. Anyway, roof mounting on our 2017 has been great and reduces the inconvenience of having the large carrier off the back, swapping it between cars. I do have the running boards which have been great especially to more easily use the roof bars for bikes.

The only upside to getting hit from the rear was getting the tow bar upgrade. I like the design on the new one - a hybrid of the primitive American hitch with more thoughtful/clean folding European style.
Next time you have your bikes loaded on top, please take a picture and post.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Next time you have your bikes loaded on top, please take a picture and post.
Here’s a pic my my mountain bike on my XC60 using Volvo’s OEM cross bars and bike rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wait, the hitch can hold only two bikes? This is a shocker.

We replaced our 2017 T6 with a 2020 T6 and had the Volvo hitch installed - the stealth hitch as it was the only option available from Volvo. We previously had the hidden, but non-folding hitch on our 2017 XC90. We carried four bikes in that hitch on a Thule rack. I had every intention of carrying four bikes on the stealth hitch we have now and would have never given it a second thought if I wasn't reading this forum.

So has anyone made the Clark Griswald attempt to carry four bikes on the foldable, stealth hitch?

The four bike Thule holder weighs about 30 or 40 pounds. Looks like to be safe, I'll need to move to a two bike holder and add the other two bikes to roof carrier. What a bummer. Now I wish I hadn't had the stealth hitch installed as we only use the hitch for hauling our four bikes.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Wait, the hitch can hold only two bikes? This is a shocker.

We replaced our 2017 T6 with a 2020 T6 and had the Volvo hitch installed - the stealth hitch as it was the only option available from Volvo. We previously had the hidden, but non-folding hitch on our 2017 XC90. We carried four bikes in that hitch on a Thule rack. I had every intention of carrying four bikes on the stealth hitch we have now and would have never given it a second thought if I wasn't reading this forum.

So has anyone made the Clark Griswald attempt to carry four bikes on the foldable, stealth hitch?

The four bike Thule holder weighs about 30 or 40 pounds. Looks like to be safe, I'll need to move to a two bike holder and add the other two bikes to roof carrier. What a bummer. Now I wish I hadn't had the stealth hitch installed as we only use the hitch for hauling our four bikes.
Do you have a Thule hanging bike carrier or a tray style? The tray style I'd say are a definite no way. We have a Thule T2 Pro with extension for 4 bikes that would definitely be a no on the new foldable hitch. We use it on our 2010 XC90 and I used to use it on our 2017 when I had the old style Volvo hitch (the one that offended most on this forum because of the visible cutout - I liked it). Anyway, the T2 Pro and T2 Classic models I'd advise against it since they are really long (T2 Pro is 5.5 feet long and weighs over 100lbs and by itself nearly exceeds the combined 130lbs bike and carrier limit of the new hitch. The issue you have to contend with is because it's foldable, the fulcrum has a rated limit and when you throw weight at more than 5 feet from the fulcrum it's amplified. Odds are a hanging style carrier may not be as much of a stress on the fulcrum. You'd have to do some maths to figure that out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There's no way in hell that's a true Class 3 hitch! The first clue is only a supported weight of 130 lbs. Why bother at that point? Get the standard hitch for peace of mind.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts