SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got slammed last Wednesday (day before Thanksgiving) crossing an intersection. The hardest part of this (despite the damage to my R) is accepting the fact that the accident was my fault. I don't have anything to blame this on - I wasn't texting, chatting, drunk, or pre-occupied in any way - just negligent. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with this.

That said, I'm thankful that neither the woman in the other vehicle, my passenger or myself were hurt. The worst is the bump on my head from when I hit the glass. The R took the hit like a champ. The other vehicle (Chrylser mini-van) was un-drivable and likely totaled.

As you can see, I took the hit on the driver-side rear door and on the front end of my rear wheel causing the rear wheel to be visibly bend inward. I can actually see the bend in what I believe is the control arm. I limped the car to the nearest parking lot and haven't driven it since.

I'm hoping to see my adjuster today or tomorrow to get some sense of the damage financially. Anything I should know in advance or be aware of? What do you guys think of the damage? Any advice?

It's an 05 SR with auto and 110,000 miles.

Untitled by Zhenderson, on Flickr

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
You have a minimum of 5K (or more) in damage. New quarter panel, posts are bent, new door skin, or course paint and whatever damage there is to the suspension
Very close to being totaled

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. At least you aren't hurt.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Bad stuff happens sometimes, despite our best intentions.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
From the looks of it, you are probably going to be getting a check instead of a fixed R.

That being said, the damage is seemingly very repairable.

If you love your R enough, I wouldn't dismiss buying it back from your insurance company and getting the repairs done.

Granted, you will have an 'R' on your title - that 'R' not being the R that is the submodel of your S60.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
here comes the vultures.. is that Atacama I see?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
So i guess it depends on how your state works. Minnesota is a no-fault state, so both parties are equally treated in accidents.

I had this EXACT damage done to my vehicle last summer, but to a slightly higher degree.

The woman that hit me was at fault, as she pulled into moving traffic from a parking lot at speed, and she admitted this to her insurance, so they picked up my claim.

That being said, my 04' only had 58k miles at the time.

I got:

New quarter panel
New door
New peg
new rotors, brakes and suspension parts
paint was PERFECT

You may come out of this with a deductible payment. You may not. Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
A quality body shop could EASILY fix that quarter panel for cheaper than a brand new one, that's really not that bad, only 2 lil kinks and the rest is an easy pop.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I really can't see this being totaled. Sure the mileage is a little high, but you likely have a great chance of getting it fixed. If it is totaled buy it back! Or hell let me buy it back! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No Atacama unfortunately. It's Gobi :)

AbsolutZero, remarkable similarities there. In your case, I'm assuming her insurance company wrote you a check for the damages? If yes, do you mind if I ask what that amount was and whether it covered all the items you listed along with paint?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
In my case, her insurance company had "recommended" repair shops, and it just so happened that the one they wanted me to use was the one I wanted to use, so I literally had no cash exchange between myself, the body shop/mechanic, and the insurance company. It was 2 summers ago, and I unfortunately lost my receipts from that year due to a basement flood :/ If i remember correctly, it was over $6k

I'll see if I can track down more info.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Me too

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident! Mine (almost your twin) got rearended last monday. I'll find out the verdict tomorrow. I hope both aren't totaled.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Let me just say that your car took the hit like a champ. It would suck if it was totaled, but it did its job very well.

My first accident was on the Mass Pile in my Dad's '94 940. I was heading West when a lady traveling East flipped over the barrier into our lane. I hit the bottom of her car along with like 4 other people. I remember being terrified to call my Dad and tell him his car was in an accident, but the feeling of relief in his voice when he said he was so happy we had been driving his car was something that I didn't understand until I had kids of my own. We drive these cars mainly to keep us safe and they do a damn good job of it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let me just say that your car took the hit like a champ. It would suck if it was totaled, but it did its job very well.

My first accident was on the Mass Pile in my Dad's '94 940. I was heading West when a lady traveling East flipped over the barrier into our lane. I hit the bottom of her car along with like 4 other people. I remember being terrified to call my Dad and tell him his car was in an accident, but the feeling of relief in his voice when he said he was so happy we had been driving his car was something that I didn't understand until I had kids of my own. We drive these cars mainly to keep us safe and they do a damn good job of it.
Couldn't agree more. Based on the impact, I expected the damage to be much worse. I remember feeling as if the car just sort of bounced away from the crash - instead of giving in to it. Combined with the fact that neither my passenger nor myself were injured makes me a proud (and grateful) Volvo driver. I'm sorry to hear of your accident, but glad no one was injured either - sounds frightening.

I head from my adjuster yesterday evening who wants me to have it towed to a shop for evaluation. We'll see what happens and I'll likely update when I know more.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I now have an update on the damages. The caR is NOT totaled, but does have just over 5k in damages.

My insurance company is paying for the following:

Rear quarter panel
Rear bumper assembly (not anything visibly wrong w/ rear bumper but I'll let them buy me a new one if they want)
Rear door
Moldings
Front bumper cover (droopy lip - again, I'll let them buy me a new one)
"Wheel repair" for driver-side rear
"Wheel repair for passenger-side front
Tire
Paint and miscellaneous hardware, etc.

Hopefully this is helpful to the next person who has similar damages to their R.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts