SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got Polestar-ed at Riley Volvo (thanks!). It couldn't have been a more positive experience. It was out the door for $591 incl CT tax. This was due to a one day Labor Day sale. This was an incredibly positive experience for me at this dealership. The people there were also super nice. They also had a few very nice desk areas for customers (not to mention the beverage area) which enabled me to be super productive. Nice dealership! Installation was under 1 hour. They did warn me that sometimes it takes longer. I didn't bother asking why.

Before I go into my first impressions, I first want to state what my expectations were. I was NOT expecting to feel a tremendous difference in power. After all, we're only going from 316 hp to 330 hp and 295 ft-lbs to 325 ft-lbs torque. For an SUV that weighs 4400 lbs, anyone that says they can feel this difference is smoking something funny OR they are feeling the "mental advantage". This is going from 13.9 lbs/hp to 13.3 lbs/hp = 0.6 lbs/hp in a very non-dynamic handling truck. That's a 4% difference. Again, no way. I've owned and tuned many turbo or supercharged cars with real "feelable" results. I've also been tracking cars for almost 30 years (yikes). So I would think that if it's feelable, I would be able to do it by now. But if you can truly think you could feel that, you should be in the F1 circuit.

So why did I want to do it? Driveability. Comfort mode was too soft and unresponsive. It didn't seem like it had a supercharger at all (which is supposed to help with instantaneous throttle at lower rpms). If you really stepped on it, then the turbos kick in. Felt like the throttle curve was more exponential than linear. I felt that Dynamic mode was useless. It was like an on/off switch and not driveable at all So I was hoping that this Polestar tune would help fix that. There was no way I was going to pay $1300 just for better throttle control. But at $591 out the door? Well worth the experiment.

Ok, so what did it do? Here's what I first noticed:
1) Setting the car to "Dynamic" changes the dash to say "Polestar" instead of Dynamic. The screen selector still says Dynamic, however. See pic.
2) At the Dynamic setting, the idling rpm goes to 1000 rpm from 800ish.
3) In the original Comfort mode and averaging roughly the same speed for 3 hours, I got 29.7 mpg with 165 miles driven. On the return via Dynamic/Polestar, I got 30.7 mpg with 165 miles driven. For every tuned/chipped car that I have ever had, I get better highway gas mileage.
4) Dynamic setting is no longer an on/off switch. The throttle control is much better. But I think it could still be improved.
5) Dynamic mode transmission shifting is much better.
6) The new Comfort mode is absolutely awesome. It's an immediate difference that can be felt. Mid throttle control is much better. It's so much better that one would ask, "why didn't they do it like this from the factory?". One could answer that it's additional margin that they can get by offering this "fix" for a fee...
7) Full throttle kickdown in both modes feels so much better than stock but I can't explain it.

Also, included was this metallic "certificate" proof of purchase. But it's weird that it's of the sedan and not the XC90. Did they give me the wrong certificate?

I would have liked the blue badge better!
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Grille

I would have thought they would have changed the "Dynamic" text into "Polestar" text. But they didn't.

Font Rectangle Material property Electric blue Gadget

Mileage at bottom shows before I got the Polestar installed. The gauge now shows the driving mode as "Polestar" vs "Dynamic".

Watch Speedometer Odometer Gauge Trip computer

Mileage with Polestar Dynamic mode
Gadget Audio equipment Font Display device Electronic device

Also, included was this metallic "certificate" proof of purchase. But it's weird that it's of the sedan and not the XC90. Did they give me the wrong certificate?
Human body Rectangle Jaw Eyelash Art

The front of the certificate proof of purchase
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

The back of the certificate proof of purchase
Brown Rectangle Material property Font Tints and shades

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congrats! Immediately after installation mine said “Dynamic” mode, too, and a car reboot fixed that problem and now shows “Polestar Engineered”.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats! Immediately after installation mine said “Dynamic” mode, too, and a car reboot fixed that problem and now shows “Polestar Engineered”.
Hmmm... what exactly does a reboot mean and how to do it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Happy to hear you had a good experience at Riley! I purchase a similar Polestar discount from them and have yet to schedule an appointment. I was told on the phone that it could be a 1-2 day job. Since I'll be traveling from NYC I'm hoping to get it done in a day like you did. I also bought a blue badge from IPD and I'm hoping Riley will install it on my 2017 V90CC T6 INSC.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happy to hear you had a good experience at Riley! I purchase a similar Polestar discount from them and have yet to schedule an appointment. I was told on the phone that it could be a 1-2 day job. Since I'll be traveling from NYC I'm hoping to get it done in a day like you did. I also bought a blue badge from IPD and I'm hoping Riley will install it on my 2017 V90CC T6 INSC.
No way... They may have meant or you misheard; they likely meant "hour". I can tell you exactly that it probably took about 30 min according to my dashcam...

Regarding the blue badge, you peel off the sticker from the back and press it onto the car... Of course, it's better if you clean the surface first with an isopropyl alcohol (like rubbing alcohol from home) or even a laptop screen cleaner or a handwipe...

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Actual working time is probably 15 to 30 minutes, depending on their connection speed. It's just a download.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Like @theclutch said, you probably misheard days as hours. It's just a software update and then,at least in my case, they took the car out and test drove it, brought it back and it was done. 1 hours' time in my case.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I definitely feel it. The supercharger whine is louder, gear shifts beautiful and crisp.
you can feel a 4-6% increase i can tell you that.
However usually after the upgrade dynamic mode disappears.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I definitely feel it. The supercharger whine is louder, gear shifts beautiful and crisp.
you can feel a 4-6% increase i can tell you that.
However usually after the upgrade dynamic mode disappears.
You're not feeling the difference in HP/Torque. You're feeling the difference in throttle control and higher rpm shift points.

Assuming you have an XC90, can you take a pic of your sensus? I'm wondering why mine is still showing Dynamic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You're not feeling the difference in HP/Torque. You're feeling the difference in throttle control and higher rpm shift points.

Assuming you have an XC90, can you take a pic of your sensus? I'm wondering why mine is still showing Dynamic.
Will try and do it tomorrow. But it may take an update of your system
As for the butt dyno, a 10% increase in torque is material.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine is the same, it shows Polestar in the dash but still Dynamic on the Sensus. My understanding from other threads here is that during the install process there's a number of steps (or modules?) that need to be installed and, apparently, the tech missed the one that updates the screen in the Sensus.

My install was complicated by some other factors at the time so I didn't go back and make an issue of it.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
My understanding from other threads here is that during the install process there's a number of steps (or modules?) that need to be installed and, apparently, the tech missed the one that updates the screen in the Sensus.
Not true. It's one download, that's it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will try and do it tomorrow. But it may take an update of your system
As for the butt dyno, a 10% increase in torque is material.
It's not 10%. You need to factor the weight. But if you say you can feel it, "good for you". I will not argue about it if it makes you happy.

In my case, without me saying anything, the wife (also with years of track experience, btw) says "definitely much better throttle control, but it doesn't feel any faster, it changed a bit of the shift points." She agrees, well worth the spend in our case.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
There was a TJ about some models saying Polestar and some saying Dynamic. Looks like it's been removed though and I don't remember the specifics.

It really doesn't matter, it's simply just wording on a display.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Riley was great! I was in an out of there in less than 90 minutes. FWIW, after the upgrade "Polestar Engineered" replaced "Dynamic" on the Sensus of my 2017 V90CC T6 INSC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts