SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally....after years of pondering the R, and a blue one no less, I have returned this evening from Cincinnati with a 2006 sonic blue S60R with manual transmission (ahhh...feels so good to really DRIVE a car again). Two years with a geartronic was killing me.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them, but you guys know what a sonic blue/nordkap S60R looks like. This is a huge step up from the T5.

Now in order of things to buy:
1. Moose magnets (no stickers this time)
2. Front european license plate with swedish S from EU and saying CLW S60R
3. R hat from takspeed
4. swedespeed stickers (thinking either about one on the back in the center or one on each side of the back passenger window). Colored ones
5. I really would like to see takspeed come out with the blue door pins again (hint hint
)
6. Takspeed badges...one or next to the R on the back and one for the interior to the left of the active chassis buttons
(I've got my blue R takspeed pen...but now there's nowhere to put it...no pen holder in the '05/'06 models
)
7. Tint the windows at 35%...maybe in a bluish hue if there is such a product
8. Replace the tires soon!!!

9. New style center wheel caps
10. Takspeed stem valves
11. Get my XM radio installed (more blue!)

That should be enough for now to get me started.

OK....pics are here now. Enjoy. I know I will.

Notice the new style center wheel caps. Look much better then the black ones.

Modified by soledoc at 8:22 AM 5-27-2006

·
Administrator
55,949 Posts
Re: I got my sonic blue/nordkap S60R today (soledoc)

Congrats Chris! Glad to hear you are enjoying it. So that list looks like tasks for the first week, whats after that?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: I got my sonic blue/nordkap S60R today (nikhsub1)

I know I know....but it was dark out when I got home. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them here. I just couldn't wait to let you guys know that I at last had the car.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Congrats! I didn't see the exhaust cable on your list---don't leave that stupid bracket on their. It takes amazingly little to bend that thing into the driveshaft. Removing that thing should be the first mod every R owner does.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Re: I got my sonic blue/nordkap S60R today (PB11)

congrats man i looked at the black/nordkap today and i love the black and the blue! i dont know witch one to choose!!
So you finally decided on that lease, so it was the right one for you!

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Hmm, Sonic Blue with Nordkap complete with moose. Sound strangely familiar!!!
Congrats.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (flybynight)

My car isn't exactly like yours flybyknight...I've got 18" rims. Hmmm....'99 Saab 9-3. Sounds familiar too. I had one of those also. Midnight blue in fact. Loved it. My first new car. Traded that one in for a C70 HPT MT in....you guessed it...nautic blue.

I'm going moose shopping right now. Oh yes, and cable shopping. It's really that necessary to prevent damage to the driveshaft, huh? That's the one on takspeed, right?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Re: (soledoc)

Quote, originally posted by soledoc »
Oh yes, and cable shopping. It's really that necessary to prevent damage to the driveshaft, huh? That's the one on takspeed, right?

At our last "R" GTG, the Seattle owners were told by "a reliable source" that the bracket/cable serves no purpose after the car leaves the factory - you can simply remove the bracket altogether as it is installed to assist in assembly of your vehicle. Kris, you can back me up on this if the masses doubt what I am saying.

Having said this, Takspeed is great and I don't want to keep you from sending money their direction.

- Tryg

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Yup, the bracket is only there for manufacturing purposes. I was going to take it off myself, but my dealer offered to do it for me.
Always best to take it off.

I thought long and hard about the 18 inch wheels, but decided to stay with the more compliant 17 inchers.
Nice car. You'll NEVER see yourself coming or going. I have yet to see another Sonic Blue S60R (nor V70R), and Seattle has a fair amount of R's.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: (tRio)

Congrats http://********************/smile/emlove.gif

I'd suggest removing the stupid exhaust bracket ASAP and then having the center resonator removed, also ASAP.

Some have had a problem of the the exhaust system (center resonator) rubbing the driveshaft in heavy rain or slushy snow. The problems is that when the exhaust gets hot it expands a bit. When cool rain or snow hits the bottom of the exhaust system, it contracts the bottom bending it up into the driveshaft. It scores the driveshaft, which can rust. It may only be cosmetic, but the squealing sound is awful (I'm told).

At any rate, enjoy your new baby. http://********************/smile/emlove.gif

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: I got my sonic blue/nordkap S60R today (Alex960)

Congrats and a word of advice.
Chris, you've been here almost as long as I have, you're read the R board over and over so when (if) you have a problem, THINK about it before you go asking what it as you and I both know you've read about it before
and probably already know the answer

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: I got my sonic blue/nordkap S60R today (JRL)

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
699 Posts

Congrats, must be exciting! Good luck, I hope you got one of the good ones....it's certainly extremely distinctive. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

Man that sonic blue really brings out the dials on the dash in that one picture. IMO you should paint the engine cover Sonic Blue and leave that intake pipe silver. The Sonic Blue is stating to rub off on me the more I see these pictures.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (StaggRLee)

Thanks guys. I'm going to go take it out for a drive tonight and see how those gauges look at night.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.