SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! This is my first post, and I wanted to say hi, and see if I could get a bit of wisdom here. This '01 S80 that I just picked up is my second 2001 Volvo, and definitely the quirkier of the two. I picked it up for $3500 as the people bought it based on how "simple and cheap" volvo's are to own and got a tid bit of a surprise at the stealership. (LOL) Anyway enough with the B.S. and onto the broken-ness!

Here's the problem.

Usually when cold, traction control on, and light acceleration (right around 25 mph and 40) the car will seem to be in like a "grey area" between second and third gear. I first thought it was trans slip or a bad 2-3 solenoid, but once traction control is off, it drives great . Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so what was the solution?

--no codes related to trans or TCS, fluid looks/smells good.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Sell it. That car is riddled with problems, it's like a Volvo with Audi electronics.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
it is possible this just needs TCM software. I -think- Volvo does a goodwill thing these days to check the car for any software updates. You could take it by them and see what they say.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are there any other codes at all? My wife's XC90 did something like this when it had ABS trouble. She just got into the habit of turning off traction control when starting off. Once the ABS was fixed the problem went away.

·
Registered
670 Posts
is the S80 really any different than any other P2 in regard to the electronics?
As far as I can tell from reading, ETM, ABS module are the common issues.

The less common ones are the CEM and REM's overheating. Apparently a small heatsink mounted directly on them should keep them cool and happy.

The radio's are junk, namely the CD changer mechanisms.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
As far as I can tell from reading, ETM, ABS module are the common issues.

The less common ones are the CEM and REM's overheating. Apparently a small heatsink mounted directly on them should keep them cool and happy.

The radio's are junk, namely the CD changer mechanisms.
sounds just like any other P2 chassis vehicle!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
it is possible this just needs TCM software. I -think- Volvo does a goodwill thing these days to check the car for any software updates. You could take it by them and see what they say.
Depends on the dealership. For example, my local dealership (Volvo of Tempe) will do up to one hour of free diagnosis for check engine lights and free software updates. However, Ken Garff of Salt Lake City would never do such a thing as they're total cheapskates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts