SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sound appears to come from the front whenever I brake harder than normal. It sounded like someone is playing a trumpet from afar...broop...broop...boop boop as I come to a halt. Also sounded like a trombone at times. It doesn't come on all the time but most certainly when I brake moderately to harder than usual. Bought the vehicle at 36,000 miles and now at 51,000. Could it be the front brake pads and rotors? The pad seemed to have some meat in it but not sure when it was last replaced. I can also smell something burning around the wheel, probably because I was doing some heavy testing to probe the noise. Also when I checked online for rotors, there are choices for either 300 or 320mm with 15", 16", and 16.5"??? Which is it? I have 17" Spartacus wheels.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Unfortunately there isn't a foolproof rule to which cars got the larger 320mm rotors but as a general guideline:
AWD with 17in wheels - very likely 320.
FWD with 17in wheels - either possible
AWD with 16in wheels - likely 300mm
FWD with 16in wheels - near certain 300mm.
20mm is about three-quarters of an inch so enough to notice if you remove the wheel and measure.

The burning smell points to a sticking caliper if it continues under normal braking. Had that happen in the rear for me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not likely. If indeed the caliper is having issues, the surface meeting the pad should be cleaned and the guide pins should be cleaned and slathered with Sil-Glyde or similar silicone-based lubricant. Should it continue it's gotta be the piston, and that calls for a new caliper. Rock Auto for that.

Again, all this is if the caliper is the problem. Maybe the rotors are failed. When I was recently getting a shimmy in the steering wheel on braking, I found the inner surface of the rotor was grooved pretty good. New smooth rotor = new smooth braking.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been experiencing the same feel for quite some time too while braking from high speeds; like when exiting the freeway. Steering wheel just kind of rocking back and forth with a slight brake pulsation feel. As mentioned, the burnt smell only occurs when I brake really hard to try and duplicate the noise.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Almost certainly a rotor issue. 300mm for sure with a 2.4i. Centric High Carbon rotors 12539037 & Akebono ACT1044 pads. Great stock replacement & say goodbye to all the dust.
A LA/CA 2009 wouldn't have a sticking caliper issue unless you drive through salt water all day.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^Yup, that's what my parts guy from the Volvo dealer came back with after I provided him the VIN, Year/Model -- 16" 300mm and Comfortpad set. I might as well stock up on some rear pads too since our cars are programmed to bite more from behind. The dealer replaced the rears to get the car ready for sale before I bought it. What's crazy is when I looked at the front pads, they seemed to appear pretty thick still. Is 51K miles (mostly stop and go road to hell in L.A.) reasonable time for a replacement?
I'm not much of an aftermarket-type due to a few prior not-so-great experiences. Been using original parts for everything, but I'd seriously consider if it really does work like OEM and doesn't emit any noise during normal braking.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Consider Centric Posi-Quiet Metallics 10410440 also then. Fronts can go a long way on these cars. 100K is not out of the question on a manual car.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Huh? Did he say Comfortpad set? What's the difference between Comfortpad and either the Dynamicpad or Sportpad? Is the Sportpad thicker?

Oh wait, wrong thread :D

Seriously though, the Akebono pads are awesome, been running them for several years on all my cars, and I'd never go back to Volvo oem pads and their nasty dust again. I like the Meyle Platinum rotors, but also got a pair Centric High Carbon's for my rear S40 brakes and they seem fine as well. I'm usually all about oem too, but in some cases in my experience the oem part is less than stellar, like the Volvo pads.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Almost certainly a rotor issue. 300mm for sure with a 2.4i. Centric High Carbon rotors 12539037 & Akebono ACT1044 pads. Great stock replacement & say goodbye to all the dust.
A LA/CA 2009 wouldn't have a sticking caliper issue unless you drive through salt water all day.
i can back this recommendation. i bought both of these^, installed and had warped rotors before replacing them.. the centric rotors are good, and the pads feel better than stock. im enjoying them, ceramic pads can definitely last a long time.... i jsut replaced the pads on a ford fusion that were over 100k miles old and theyt actually had plenty of pad left, couldhave gone another 15k miles or more. But breaking was starting to feel weak on both mine and the ford. so breaking is much better on both now.

also i saw on my calipers --confirmed 300mm-- that it says '300' on the front.

the 320's dont look like these^ at all, i cant confirm that the 280mm's dont also say 300 on them but my guess is that the number is relating to the size, and i doubt the 280's were very common.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Sorry, that was a joke that a few people will get, with all the talk about suspensions.

Yes, Akebonos should work with just about any blank rotor. The Centric High Carbon rotors you can get from RockAuto, Meyle Platinums you can get from FCP. I like those two because they run out true and have good anti-corrosion characteristics, Meyles are plated, Centrics hats are painted. Volvo hats are painted but I've had bad luck with them not lasting and getting rusted. The Centrics on my S40 are newer so I'm not sure how long they'll last before rusting.

Sent from my HTC

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i can back this recommendation. i bought both of these^, installed and had warped rotors before replacing them.. the centric rotors are good, and the pads feel better than stock. im enjoying them, ceramic pads can definitely last a long time.... i jsut replaced the pads on a ford fusion that were over 100k miles old and theyt actually had plenty of pad left, couldhave gone another 15k miles or more. But breaking was starting to feel weak on both mine and the ford. so breaking is much better on both now.

also i saw on my calipers --confirmed 300mm-- that it says '300' on the front.

the 320's dont look like these^ at all, i cant confirm that the 280mm's dont also say 300 on them but my guess is that the number is relating to the size, and i doubt the 280's were very common.
I believe the rears are 280mm as it is the only thing came up when searched. No other options for 2.4i according to their database.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Yup, 280 fronts are euro only with 15" wheel. They use the same pad anyway.

Having used the Centric rotors in MN for years I can tell you more about the corrosion coating. No, they do not stay pristine looking. They get a smattering of small surface rust looking dots on the exposed areas. Area under the wheel looks very good & is easy to clean for wheel changes. FAR better than stock but don't think you are going to retain a show car black finish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts