SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 850 that I love, but it has 200K, it is burning oil and the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. I have decided to get a 2001 V70 XC. I have driven several, some better than others. I am a bit unclear about the 2.4T vs T5. I read that the T5 had a tighter suspension, but the car I found that I am seriously considering buying has a 2.4T. It drove well. Is there much of a difference in a 2.4 vs T5 as far as suspension, noticeable performance and mpg?<p>Wildwood

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: I finally found a 2001 V70XC to buy (wildwood)

The T5 has a 2.3L High Pressure Turbo, makes about 50 more hp than the 2.4l Light Pressure Turbo in the XC. You cannot buy the XC with the T5 engine, it only comes with the 2.4 LPT engine. <p>If you want a T5 look for a regular V70 with the T5 engine. Mileage will be about the same between the 2 engines, but performance wise, the T5 has better pickup above 30 mph and can be modified easier.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: I finally found a 2001 V70XC to buy (wildwood)

Stock for stock, the suspension is the same unless the T5 has the sport package, a really VERY rare option in a wagon

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: I finally found a 2001 V70XC to buy (EBender1965)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>EBender1965</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...the T5 has better pickup above 30 mph and can be modified easier.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>What mods would you recommend?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: I finally found a 2001 V70XC to buy (snowdragon3)

Cat back Exhaust, Sway Bars, ECU Flash from iPd/Rica/BSR/PowerChip and Downpipe. Thse are the most common. Some have ventured with upgraded turbos as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: I finally found a 2001 V70XC to buy (JRL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stock for stock, the suspension is the same unless the T5 has the sport package, a really VERY rare option in a wagon</TD></TR></TABLE><p>What are the components of the package? I've never heard of a T-5 'sport'...

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Spend your money to get to a "stage-0" first before you do the upgrades. This means, new vacuum hoses (preferably silicone) turbo hoses, pcv system cleaning or replacement, 02 sensors to name a few of the items to replace. If you don't do all of these, your ECU upgrades will surely throw codes and you'll be frustrated and have to replace the above anyway. Do a search for "stage-0" over on volvospeed.com and you'll find what I'm talking about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts