SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had posted a while back about a very annoying rattle that at first I thought was coming from my left rear seat after I had folded it down. It wasn't the seats. Next step was taking off the tailgate panel. Still rattling! Take the speaker cover down & the corner carpet piece on left side, still there. Only now it was way easier to isolate the noise a little better. Pulled the side roof panel, It was the left strut for the tailgate. The weird thing is, the struts are still in good working order & it takes some real effort to pop it off the mounts.

Do you guys agree that even if the mounts on the strut appear pretty darn tight, to just replace the damn struts anyway? I can't find a failed part of it, I just know when you pop it off the rattle is finally gone. What a giant pain in the a** this was! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
I don't know about replacing it, but I'd try other stuff first like wrapping it in foam or pulling on it with a zip tie or something. Very strange scenario though. You'd think those things are under enough load that they couldn't rattle.

If the noise is coming from inside the strut itself then yes definitely replace it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about replacing it, but I'd try other stuff first like wrapping it in foam or pulling on it with a zip tie or something. Very strange scenario though. You'd think those things are under enough load that they couldn't rattle.

If the noise is coming from inside the strut itself then yes definitely replace it.
Thanks, good idea Loyd. I'll be doing that today. The crazy thing is that I tried driving with the hatch open & the strut did not rattle. I would have assumed it would never rattle under load, not the opposite.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I thought I would post the answer to my seemingly endless search for the damn rattle coming from the left side of the tailgate. I put a new pair of struts on the gate today (they were starting to get weak anyway) & it didn't change the rattle. At this point I had taken ALL the rear interior pieces out except the roof panel. I took out the jack, tire, ANYTHING that it might have been. STILL THERE!:angryfire: In playing around some more I realized driving with the gate not latched made it stop.

There is a small rubber block on the lower corner on both sides of the tailgate. There is a really small amount of adjustment in them. I loosened it & slid it towards the car to put a little outward pressure against the gate when closed. The ****ing rattle is finally gone. It took nearly a full minute to do the fix once I tried it. :facepalm: Hopefully I can help someone else from going through the same thing I did to find it. The rattle noise obviously radiates around the back making it REALLY hard to pin down. If you are a rattle Nazi like me you have to fix it.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
the classic fix for the real tail gate rattle is to wrap a little electrical tape around the latch so it grips tighter when shut. like so

I haven't heard about the rubber blocks having adjustments, i'll have to check that out, thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
You know, after following this thread, I think I may have the same rattle. I'll have to check tomorrow. If that's it I'll be stoked.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Watch out you don't try to adjust the pad too much! I managed to break mine off. Oops. Pretty cheap to replace, but it made me feel like an amateur. The rubber shrinks over time, leaving room for the aforementioned rattle.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
the classic fix for the real tail gate rattle is to wrap a little electrical tape around the latch so it grips tighter when shut. like so

I haven't heard about the rubber blocks having adjustments, i'll have to check that out, thanks!
That's not classic that's ghetto!

Split a piece of rubber hose and glue it or hard plastic line.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hah! I did this same thing, removing one piece at a time in the back of the car until I found the tailgate latch hook thing was bad and replaced it. Actually I still don't have all my trim pieces back in, I've been too lazy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts