SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 xc60.... 6500 miles. This morning I drove it no problems. While driving on level surface, I noticed it stated i had 90 miles left till empty with 2 bars of gas left on the indicator. Then i washed it so I had to back it onto my drive way which sits on about a 35 degree incline. Cleaned it all up and then went to start it.... it started for about 2 secs and died... again.... again....WTF. Kept it started for a little bit giving it some gas, but as soon as I let off... died. After that, it would just engage starter for its 10 second cycle... nothing...

So i called roadside, they came to tow it away (embarrasing with new vehicle... just saying). Once on level ground, it fired right up...but had a red bar for gas...

For this tank, it has 365 miles... been averaging 420'ish ... and 100 miles of this tank was straight freeway driving one-way, the rest normal back and forth to work type stuff...

once, it was at the dealership, it now states 109 miles left on tank... of course that is with idling for a few mins... something seems a little bit weird.. not for sure yet if it is a non-issue and something I will have to be mindful of ... or if possible sending unit bad... still at the dealer.

makes me wonder if it is figuring out your miles left from the overall average MPH it has been getting and reported on the dash and the phone app (mine currently states 25.9) after the long trip... i was getting 29 MPG on the road trip. Something still doesn't make sense that it went from 2 bars to one red one ... cant remember really what it does, in fact this might be the lowest it has been since owned it.

I kinda feel stupid about it, but at the same time, if nothing is wrong, I dont like the fact that with 90 miles left, I have to be weary about where parking...seems odd.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
the car uses the last N number of miles to calculate distance to empty. That N is discussed in some other threads, don't remember the exact number, but want to say about 20 -40 miles, somewhere in that ballpark.

I always try to fill up right as it hits the two-bar marker, so I've never experienced a problem in this area, and now I'm even less tempted to experiment!

Ashame you had this problem, let us know what the dealer says. I'm guessing the incline thew the sensor and pump off.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
the car uses the last N number of miles to calculate distance to empty. That N is discussed in some other threads, don't remember the exact number, but want to say about 20 -40 miles, somewhere in that ballpark.

I always try to fill up right as it hits the two-bar marker, so I've never experienced a problem in this area, and now I'm even less tempted to experiment!

Ashame you had this problem, let us know what the dealer says. I'm guessing the incline thew the sensor and pump off.
I don't know why they seem to want to calculate n to the nearest 5th mile. 35 miles to E, 255 miles to E, etc.

Never a round whole number like 8 miles to E or 173 miles to E. It'd be 10 miles to E or 170 miles to E in those two examples.

I can't even rely on it to be accurate since I had 15 miles to E and then it gives me the three dashes meaning go find a station now or be on the side of the road.

So frustrating after coming from an American car family that can calculate numbers properly. :facepalm:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments. Well today being Saturday they didnt have a full crew, so they didnt get to it And closed on Sundays. But I am having them look at a couple of other things too. So I would rather it be done right than rushed. They did give me an equivalent 2016 loaner... so im not complaining...

curious to find out if others have this other issue... my car was a manager demo.... had 2800 miles on it. every since i had it, it seems to pull a little bit to the right. not super drastic, but definitely noticeable and tiring after awhile. I had it checked out when first got it.... they did a wheel alignment and found some angles slightly out. It still pulled to the right. I decided to drive it a few thousand miles to let the tires hopefully correct themselves. nearly 4K miles later still no change... so this little fuel issue forced me to have them look at it again. They do like to say it is the texas crowning of the highways... but after driving this new loaner.... which does guide to the right slightly (due to the crowning), it is not nearly as pronounced as mine. They didnt even drive it last time (nice to have a journal on the phone app), just accomplished the alignment... I told them to take it out on the freeway this time to experience it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Thanks for the comments. Well today being Saturday they didnt have a full crew, so they didnt get to it And closed on Sundays. But I am having them look at a couple of other things too. So I would rather it be done right than rushed. They did give me an equivalent 2016 loaner... so im not complaining...

curious to find out if others have this other issue... my car was a manager demo.... had 2800 miles on it. every since i had it, it seems to pull a little bit to the right. not super drastic, but definitely noticeable and tiring after awhile. I had it checked out when first got it.... they did a wheel alignment and found some angles slightly out. It still pulled to the right. I decided to drive it a few thousand miles to let the tires hopefully correct themselves. nearly 4K miles later still no change... so this little fuel issue forced me to have them look at it again. They do like to say it is the texas crowning of the highways... but after driving this new loaner.... which does guide to the right slightly (due to the crowning), it is not nearly as pronounced as mine. They didnt even drive it last time (nice to have a journal on the phone app), just accomplished the alignment... I told them to take it out on the freeway this time to experience it.

Thanks
Texas crowning of the roads?

Having lived in Texas for nearly 30 years this is someone full of it. At least full of being Texan.

I don't know of many paved roads that do not have some designed crowns.

Does it do it in a parking lot?

Sounds like they just need to drive it more.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm pretty bad with that. I love range and I always want to see high numbers (so I guess I'm kinda stupid, Lol)... I've personally taken mine to zero bars on occasion. Can't speak for the incline, but mine's never sputtered. I figure it's the norm to have a 50km/30mi buffer after the last line disappears, but maybe I've just been lucky?
I wonder if it's another issue than the lack of fuel? Water went in while refilling in the rain and in the incline the pump picked it up? Keep us posted. Hope they find the problem.
I also agree that your car's pulling that much can't be solely due to crowning. There will always be a very slight pull to the right for safety reasons (should a poor soul fall asleep at the wheel), but that's so slight. One way to further check is to take your hands off the wheel when in the left lane on a divided highway. Crowning should tilt to the left. Then your car should be going straight or slightly left if the crowning is that pronounced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts