SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We just bought a slightly used 2015.5 XC60 T5 FWD. It's the platinum package and has BLIS and is very nice, but the high beams do not seem to work as described.

With the lights in the "on" position, I can switch the high beams on by pulling the signal lever back two clicks, and they stay on. But, when we put the lights in "A" or auto mode, pulling the lever all the way back does cause the Active High Beams Icon to light on the speedometer are of the dash, but the high beams don't say on. Not even in my back yard facing the woods with no lights around. I can pull the lever back and they will go on only until I let go of the lever. I am pulling the lever back 2 clicks.

I tried de-selecting daytime running lights, but that made no difference. Even with DLR's off, the high beams will not stay on in "A". Because of that, we are using the "On" position and controlling the high beams manually, but we want to be able to have the car dim the high beams automatically when another car is coming so we don't forget to turn them off and blind the driver.

We tried to get them to stay on while stationary, while driving at 10 mph, and while driving at 45 mph, all with no other cars on the road. Is this a glitch? Volvo's manual clearly indicates that the Active High Beams system in the US works like the Auto High Beam dimming system on my wife's Citadel, but it doesn't on ours. Do we need to have something repaired?

Thanks,
Todd

Registered
I don't know if they work differently on an US spec car but in my experience, in the automatic mode the highbeams can be reluctant to engage. And they don't engage at all in too bright conditions. If you're in a grey-zone, try holding the lever in the first notch for a second or two and then locking it in the second notch. Works for me most of the time.

Registered
The active high beam uses the camera's in the overhead cluster, if there was a problem with the camera, you'd have problems with other systems... do you?

Aside from that, I've never really had an issue with them, we live in an area where we routinely transition from residential/streets w/ traffic to two lane deserted roads and they work fine. Sometimes they'll stay off high beams when I think they should be on, but never have seen them not work at all.

Also, check the manual, there are some notes about what affects AHB.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi Johnee,

We've only had the car a week. What other systems would have problems? The high beams turn on and stay on when in the "on" mode. They just won't stay on in the "A" mode. They flash on when we pull the lever back, the active high beams icon comes on and also the blue high beams symbol comes on, but when I let go of the lever, the high beams turn off while the AHB icon stays on.

Thanks,
Todd

Edit: I went out to check, because in some other threads I've read there the high beams and the regular headlights are the same bulb. That is't what I see. Our headlights are these round lights that look blue and steer when you go around a turn. When I turn the lights to "on" and turn on the high beams, another bulb medial to the regular driving lights comes on. In AHB, that additional lamp will only blink on.

Registered
I don't recall all the systems that use the camera in the inst cluster in the window, but pretty sure things like city safe, road sign information (in the dash, you should see the speed limit sign and/or a marker on the speedometer indicating the last speed limit sign it saw). If your speed limit sign info is correct as you pass one by, then the camera is most likely ok.

Here is a link to the Volvo manual web page, just select the year and then xc60. You'll want to look at all this info anyway. The days of leaving the owners manual in the glove box are over, we actually need to read this stuff!

manuals

But for the lights, yes, they should switch back and forth when driving. A conclusive test would be to drive on the loneliest road you can find with no street lights, cause sometimes mine wont come on if the camera sees street lights or other lights its confusing for street lights.

You're engaging it properly if the symbol appears. When the symbol turns blue, it will be in high beams. If the symbol is blue and the high beams still don't come on, then take it to a dealer.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think we'll have to take it to the dealer.
They think it sounds like a software glitch since the camera is recognizing speed limit signs.

Funny thing is, I actually read a thread somewhere that said you can't activate the high beams in "A" on US cars. Maybe it's a common glitch that people have explained away rather than one they got repaired.

I'm just hoping it's a simple thing to update the software.
Todd

Registered
I think we'll have to take it to the dealer.
They think it sounds like a software glitch since the camera is recognizing speed limit signs.

Funny thing is, I actually read a thread somewhere that said you can't activate the high beams in "A" on US cars. Maybe it's a common glitch that people have explained away rather than one they got repaired.

I'm just hoping it's a simple thing to update the software.
Todd
Right, just take it in.

From the manual :

AHB uses a camera at the upper edge of the
windshield to detect the headlights of oncoming
vehicles or the taillights of a vehicle
directly ahead. When this happens, the headlights
will automatically switch from high
beams to low beams. When the camera no
longer detects the headlights/taillights of
other vehicles, your headlights will switch
back to high beams after several seconds.
To activate AHB:
鈥 Turn the headlight control to the "Auto"position.
The feature will begin functioning if the engine
has been running for at least 20 seconds and
the vehicle's speed is at least 12 mph
(20 km/h).

Switch AHB on or off by pulling the left steering
wheel lever rearward (toward the steering
wheel) as far as possible and releasing it. If
AHB is switched off while the high beams are
on, the headlights will change to low beams.
Mine works exactly as described above, I always leave my lights in Auto.

Registered
I own a USA 2015.5 XC60 and the AHB works fine for me. Please note it does switch off high beams quickly when there are other light sources, so as suggested above you need to try this out on a pretty dark road.

Registered
"A" auto is the only setting you can use the active high beams... I just found this out as I thought mine was broken, but didn't realize the a valet had put the switch in the on position (from Auto).

Registered
You can also go to My Car menu and find lighting settings where you can turn auto high beams off and it will work like every other car. I don't leave mine on auto because we live in the city, and also because with them on auto, I can't use them to flash as a means to communicate with other drivers.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can also go to My Car menu and find lighting settings where you can turn auto high beams off and it will work like every other car. I don't leave mine on auto because we live in the city, and also because with them on auto, I can't use them to flash as a means to communicate with other drivers.
I haven't turned AHB off in the menu. Didn't even see that they could be turned off, but if I did, it seems the high beams would still work.
The Active High Beams icon comes on, but the high beams don't. I even covered the sensor completely, and while the headlights did come on, the high beams wouldn't stay on.

I didn't notice the active bending lights feature could be switched off, but didn't turn that off either. It's kind of a cool thing.

Based on what you guys said, I did call the dealer. They think it might be a software glitch since the car turns on the lights correctly and is "seeing" speed limit signs fine. Hopefully a software glitch is not a hard item to fix.

Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
You can still flash with a half pull on the handle, even if the AHB has the high beam (shade) off.

Registered
dumb question, but you are driving the car while testing this, right? you have to be driving for active high beams to work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
dumb question, but you are driving the car while testing this, right? you have to be driving for active high beams to work.
If that's to me, yes. We couldn't get the high beams to stay on after the the AHB icon turned on on at any speed despite being on a dark wooded street on a cloudy night. High beams do work when lights turned past the "A" (at 12 o'clock) to the on position at 1 o'clock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts