SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I Don't Think the New XC90 has to Worry about the New Bentley Bentayga

And didn't King Carl Gustav buy four of the First Edition XC90s?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

And didn't King Carl Gustav buy four of the First Edition XC90s?
And did he say there are 90 color options available for the Bentayga??? :eek:

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
That must be one of the ugliest front fascia in the entire automotive industry.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Gosh is that ugly. Bentley as a whole I got to say totally lacks in the outside looks department. The interior though is quite nice and flavorful.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
You guys can call it ugly all day long but they will sell every last one that they make and laugh all the way to the bank. The XC90 and this should not even be mentioned in the same sentence. Bentley is luxury on another level. I am personally not a fan of this thing but to even try to compare the XC90 to it is a joke. Different markets, different customers.

·
Registered
658 Posts
True Bentley is in a luxury league above other brands and is akin to Rolls Royce but no one else really (their old stablemate) but their new front end is anything but pretty. I remember seeing the Mulsanne for the first time and was wondering when they were going to remove the camouflage from the front!!! Oh! That's for production?!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
True Bentley is in a luxury league above other brands and is akin to Rolls Royce but no one else really (their old stablemate) but their new front end is anything but pretty. I remember seeing the Mulsanne for the first time and was wondering when they were going to remove the camouflage from the front!!! Oh! That's for production?!
I agree that current Bentley's are not their prettiest designs but guess what, their customers don't seem to mind. They sold more cars in 2014 than they ever have, http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/2014-was-bentleys-best-ever-year-with.html. They expect the Bentayga to become their top selling model almost immediately.

My other point was that just b/c it's an SUV, doesn't make it competition for the XC90. It starts at more than double what a fully spec'd out XC90 costs. Are we going to be doing S90 vs Flying Spur comparisons when it comes out too?

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Some Bentley's are both nice and nice to look at.

This is not one of those.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
This Bentley is FUGLY.

McDonalds sells a LOT of burgers. High sales does not make a McDonalds burger taste good.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
It's an improvement over the concept...

As I said in another thread, SUV's just are not good canvases for design. The best you can hope for is a "good looking SUV" which is still not a good looking car. Bentley unfortunately didn't even accomplish this but they will accomplish their goals at they have already sold out the 1st year of production, http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-frankfurt-motor-show/new-%C2%A3160k-bentley-bentayga-sold-out-first-year-production. High Sales wil not make it look better but it's all that matters in the auto business. You sell or you pack up and go home.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It's even uglier than the concept or the Q7!

The world is full of people with more money (or just credit) than sense. The new XC90 has been repeatedly compared to the full-sized Range Rover, which is in turn often and rightly compared with Bentleys. Real quality and luxury peak car-wise at around $100,000. Above that you do NOT get what you pay for, just a fancy name and maybe more power.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Bentley offers far superior quality and use unique manufacturing processes and materials that cost well above anything used in anything on Volvo OR Range Rover's level.

You are not just paying for a name with companies like Bentley and Lamborghini. VWAG makes less for each of these than they do on every Porsche sold, despite the price difference.

That's not to say it's not far more than you ever need. They are a super luxury.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Bentley offers far superior quality and use unique manufacturing processes and materials that cost well above anything used in anything on Volvo OR Range Rover's level.

You are not just paying for a name with companies like Bentley and Lamborghini. VWAG makes less for each of these than they do on every Porsche sold, despite the price difference.

That's not to say it's not far more than you ever need. They are a super luxury.
I agree to differ.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I agree to differ.
You should watch this then,

The materials being used are completely different and the processes being used are completely different. If you think Volvo or even Range Rovers are built to this level you are fooling yourself.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
I've sat in a Bentley, and it was wayyyy cooler than sitting in any other sub-$150k car I've been in.

I am not saying that you get what you pay for, but it was very very cool. And the engine sounded insane.

But the Bentley SUV is ugly.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
You should watch this then,

The materials being used are completely different and the processes being used are completely different. If you think Volvo or even Range Rovers are built to this level you are fooling yourself.
Nope. Neither the materials nor processes are all that different from most cars. The Mulsanne is the best-looking Bentley, though every test I've seen has criticized its ride.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts