SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of upgrading my 2002 N/A V70's sound system. I am very new to Volvos and have never installed speakers or a head unit before. I installed the new front and rear speakers, which wasn't too difficult. Unfortunately, I received poor information from somebody and was told that the aftermarket HU that I bought would plug right in, which (after removing the factory HU) I now realize is not the case. The head unit that I'm installing is a Pioneer DXT-X4869BT. Here is a photo of the back of it:

My factory head unit was an HU-613. Could somebody please point me in the right direction here? I'm assuming that I'll need a wiring harness adapter but I'm having trouble finding the right one. Could somebody please show me the right one to purchase? If there's anything else that I'll need to know or do, I'd greatly appreciate any and all input. This forum helped immensely with installing my speakers, so I have faith that Swedespeed's members will come to the rescue once again lol.

Thanks,
Joe.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
do you want to keep your steering wheel controls?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-32vF4X4frTV/p_249SWRVL54/CRUX-SWRVL-54-Wiring-Interface.html

comes with the harness.

otherwise
http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Harness-Country-wiring-installation/dp/B006C22RAG
will all be color coded to the radio harness. So aside from maybe the illumination wire or SWC wire, you just match colors.

I like these BMW crimp connectors.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BD53-USA---E46-BMW-330Ci&diagId=61_2107
They are no bigger than the wire if you use regular heatshrink.

Crimps are better than solder for 99% of people, because people don't solder wires well in general.
make sure you buy a nice crimper tool. I use a duetsch terminal crimper with vertical jaw movement and a ratchet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. What exactly do I need to crimp? I thought I just plug one end of the adapter into the factory harnesses and the other end into the stereo?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
you'll have to mate the radio harness to the volvo harness adapter.

thus creating a custom harness specific to the car and radio.
it will be obvious when you get the vehicle harness, it's just the two iso plugs with pigtails.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Ok. All of this is new to me haha. This adapter will work as well, right? http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-9221...p/B0002BEVAW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Amazon says it won't fit but it's the same colors as what my car has, plus the reviews look like this is the right one. Thanks!
That will work.. the wiring colors will match up once you have the harness and the harness from the aftermarket radio:

Yellow 12V Constant / Memory
Red Switch / Accessory
Black Ground
Blue Antenna Remote
Blue with White Stripe Amplifier Remote Turn-on
Orange with White Stripe Dash Light Dimmer/Illumination
Green Left Rear Speaker (+)
Green with Black Stripe Left Rear Speaker (-)
White Left Front Speaker (+)
White with Black Stripe Left Front Speaker (-)
Purple Right Rear Speaker (+)
Purple with Black Stripe Right Rear Speaker (-)
Gray Right Front Speaker (+)
Gray with Black Stripe Right Front Speaker (-)

Do you have the install kit and the antenna adapter as well? You'll need those as well:

Take a look at ebay auction #331035291633

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That will work.. the wiring colors will match up once you have the harness and the harness from the aftermarket radio:

Yellow 12V Constant / Memory
Red Switch / Accessory
Black Ground
Blue Antenna Remote
Blue with White Stripe Amplifier Remote Turn-on
Orange with White Stripe Dash Light Dimmer/Illumination
Green Left Rear Speaker (+)
Green with Black Stripe Left Rear Speaker (-)
White Left Front Speaker (+)
White with Black Stripe Left Front Speaker (-)
Purple Right Rear Speaker (+)
Purple with Black Stripe Right Rear Speaker (-)
Gray Right Front Speaker (+)
Gray with Black Stripe Right Front Speaker (-)

Do you have the install kit and the antenna adapter as well? You'll need those as well:

Take a look at ebay auction #331035291633
Thanks. I already purchased the single din faceplate and the little compartment to go underneath. I do not have the antenna adapter. I'm assuming I'll need that to listen to any FM/AM stations, right?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
yes.

if you don't have the antenna adapter I would not wire in the antenna amp just yet. You may damage it if it is not connected.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
there are diversity FM antennas on the rear window glass.

There's an amp that makes them work.

You need to power the amp with the remote antenna wire from the new head unit, but I would not j=hook it up if you don't have the antenna adapter to hook up it's output, or you will likely damage it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Harness.....will all be color coded to the radio harness. So aside from maybe the illumination wire or SWC wire, you just match colors.
I'm installing an aftermarket radio from Crutchfield in my '04 XC70. I'm using the harness provided by them. There is no Orange-White Trace wire (which I believe to be the illumination wire from the head unit) in the harness. There IS a blue wire with no place to go. Is the blue wire in the new harness to be connected to the illumination wire?

I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The blue is likely for aftermarket amp power, or for a power antenna...sounds like you probably have neither. Your new HU doesnt use the illumination connection. Leave the orange and blue wires alone--don't connect them.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Same question I think. I have a new Pioneer DDIN HU that I'm fitting to a 2006 XC70 I just bought my mom. Using Metra harness and Axxess steering wheel module. Hooked everything up and all is well except for the blown passenger side mid bass driver. My question is: the Pioneer provides an illumination wire (orange/white) but the Metra harness does not. Is there an illumination wire in the center stack I can access or is it CANBUS controlled and therefore I shoulda used InCarTec's harness?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts