SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My S80 heat shield finally came in. Much to my joy it is a complete bolt on part, the spacers for the shield are built into it! It took me literally 10 mins to put this on. Only thing to be aware of is hold your DEM in place while you are replacing the bolts. I didn't learn the hard way, but I expect it could fall right off.

And because SOME people :p won't read the entire thread, it is Part# 30783129

I christen it....The SS DEM Mod!

part:

part installed (man it looks great!):

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
only the 4th Gen Haldex has the shield, which is what 2007+ S80s use, but it is completely compatible with our unit. It goes without saying that Haldex/Volvo was aware of the heat failures on DEMs and fixed this for S80s. If they were honorable they would issue a TSB and put this on for S60 owners. $30 is super cheap insurance.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the edge of the plate is super sharp and I sliced my thumb open like a watermelon on the edge. My punishment for getting in a hurry and not wearing my mechanic's gloves.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you don't have a local dealer? I would think the shipping would kill you from myswedishparts....at least it did for me on other items.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when you say costs half as much though, are you counting labor? I'm sure the actual cost of the Volvo part is in dollars but the labor has to be factored into it.

not deriding your part, just giving people an OEM outlet that is less likely to raise suspicion if it goes to the dealer.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Good point, for folks still under warranty it might be hard to explain the DIY solution to your tech if they want to try and blame it for some DEM or haldex issues.

If someone is good with a drill and a set of tin snips you could easily make one in just a few minutes from my plan so parts and labor wise not to mention functional superiority I prefer mine but I'm a little biased, lol. :cool:

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
without wind tunnnel tests I'd have to argue the functional superiority.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Its a heat shield, its more about blocking radiation from the exhaust pipe than about airflow. My claim of superiority for my unit is that it blocks the heat from reaching additional critical areas like the pump and its wire harness and allows more airflow to the DEM than the factory one.

My current crazy vane deflector unit I'm now using is just an overkill unit to both shield and throw a lot of extra fresh airflow at both the DEM and haldex/diff unit. A little something extra for track days after reading a few threads about people overheating the haldex couplers at track events they attended.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my concern with yours is that more surface area is being heated across a wider area of the car, creating a larger space of heated area to be dissipated. What I like about the volvo design is they used some courrugation to increase the surface area but kept the over all dimensions the same.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
once it gets some weathering on it you won't be able to tell it was any other way.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Looks good, may I have a part number please, thank you very much.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
shame! :p

Cool! I have one sitting on my counter right now, just need some time to put it in!

Part# 30783129 "Protecting Plate"
if Volvo runs metrics on what parts are ordered they are going to be WTF? with all of these plates getting ordered.

BTW, expect this to take a few weeks. Mine took almost a month to get here.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hell, it should be less than that since it could fit in a priority mail envelope.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.