SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never did it before and I was not looking forward to it because I've read what a PIA it is. It only took me 40 minutes. The trickiest part was getting the new filter in and then, not knowing for sure that it slid in without crumpling. It was a Mann filter and it came with wordless directions. It seems the same filter and procedure is for a Ford Focus. One thing the pictures said was to not unplug the gas pedal quick disconnect. I'm not sure why but I didn't unplug it. It would make it a little easier if you could unplug it because then you could get that sucker completely out of the way. With it left plugged in, you kind of have to swing the pedal over the top of the brake or wherever you can to try to get it out of the way. And there is no good way that I could see to slide the filter in without bending it. Oh well. It's done. It definately is a job that makes you sore the next day from the twisted up positions you'll be in. The old filter was filthy. 66K on the car and I don't think it's ever been changed. The manual says every 15K but I think that's overkill ridiculous. I'm gonna do it every 30K or so.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ugh, thanks for the report. Installing the sport pedals left me sore for a day or two; can't imagine that this would be any easier. Not looking forward to the expiration of my safe + secure coverage.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. The funny thing is the previous owner had the car into Volvo for every "scheduled maintenance" thing and I highly doubt the cabin air filter was ever changed. Maybe the mechanics think "I hate that job. They'll never know that I didn't change it."

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Yeah. The funny thing is the previous owner had the car into Volvo for every "scheduled maintenance" thing and I highly doubt the cabin air filter was ever changed. Maybe the mechanics think "I hate that job. They'll never know that I didn't change it."
Just yesterday, our neighbor was about to install the filter on either his Pilot or Maxima(not sure which) and he said in all the times he had taken the vehicle to a 'jiffy lube'-type place, they NEVER offered to sell him a filter install--guess they weren't interested in anything that took more than a minute or two. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. But then they also will try to sell you something you don’t need too. I always change my own oil but one time I was really pressed for time so I took my truck in for an oil change at one of those drive thru oil change places. The truck had 14,000 miles on it. Practically new. As I waited in the cell block for them to finish, one of the guys came in to me with a test tube of black looking oil in one hand, and a test tube of nice, honey colored oil in the other. He said “Sir, this black stuff came out of your differential and this other stuff is what it should look like. You really should think about having new gear oil put in your differential, especially with that kind of mileage.” I told him to just change the engine oil. Then I’m thinking “what the heck does he mean “with that kind of mileage. This truck only has 14,000 on it.” So, anyway, they changed the engine oil and gave me one more stern warning before I left about changing the diff fluid. Then, as I’m driving home, I look up at the sticker they always put in the windshield and it says Mileage – 140,150. WHAT??? Now it makes sense. The guy read the ODO wrong so then he assumes it needs a differential fluid change. What a hoax. Another reason I always do my own maintenance on absolutely anything I can.

·
Registered
105 Posts
LOL. First I did my air filter and thought wow, what an awesome design how it slides out almost like a cd tray. Way to go Volvo I thought....

Then I did the cabin filter. About 40 minutes as well I'd say. And it was hot and muggy outside. Worst part was I didn't take note of what position the old filter was and the new one "crumples" in either way. Once I found a thread on here with a pic I was ok.

Definitely a lot of crud in there. I took a vacuum hose to suck out all the dried leaf fragments. My carpet looked like an Autumn lawn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts