SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I don't know what the hell is going on but here is the symtoms. So when I park my car I get random pops from the front and rear suspension... They are very loud and you can feel it all the way thru the car. I don't know what is causing it I know my shocks are in need of being replaced but that wouldn't make a pop sound would it? Please any input would be a huge help! Its one Tire at a time it seems not both at the same time just one corner every say 5 mins or so

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Is it a metallic noise or a muted pop? List of possibles:

Loose lug nuts
Spring seats
Engine/transmissions mounts
sway bar end links
shocks (unlikely, but check)
control arms (bushings, inspect for wear)
inner and/or outer tie rod ends
subframe bushings

What else am i forgetting?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
^^ You hit it right on the money AFAIK. Best way to check is to raise the car and inspect. I see you have the same phone as me (I have Sprint, unfortunately...). Download "brightest flashilight free" app, you should be able to get a real good look at your bushings with that LED light.

To be honest with you, it could be a number of things. I'm replacing my control arms, ball joints, struts, spring seats, and strut bearings on the front this weekend (recently replaced sway bar links) to take care of my "wobble" and "rough" ride quality. I know my left front strut is leaking, left control arm bushings are shot, and my right strut bearing. You might not need to replace everything like I am but everything is original and with tons of highway miles 90k (24k miles over 15 months with this R) and being a 7 year old car now, you're bound to replace things like this so don't be surprised if someone advises you to refresh everything.

Last thing, is the noise loud enough to be heard if recorded? Maybe a buddy could record while you shift so we can figure out where the "pop" is coming from.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Grab a pair of channel locks when it's in the air and grab and shake all parts that have ball joints on them. Watch for any play in the ball joints. Tie rods and sway bars seem to be common. My car was making lots of annoying noises over small bumps mostly when driving slower and I had one outer tie rod and one sway bar end link bad. I just got paid so I plan on doing the other tie rod and the other 3 end links this weekend.

Inspect the shocks for any leaking fluid. You can try doing the bounce test as well. I also had a bad front strut and it was really obvious when I bounced all corners. And of course there was fluid dripping out of the strut as well.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
There's a video on youtube "how to diagnose suspension noises", guy talks through checking things out. It's an Acura, but the principles are the same. Go through the motions and WRITE DOWN what you hear, or even that you heard nothing, for each step. It'll give you, or at least your technician, or these guys on the forum, something substantial to guess from.

Please update your signature (it's in your settings) with significant details about your caR.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys :) I am gonna get to work and see what I can do thanks I will keep ya all posted! And it's only when the car is sitting and off. I will also update my signature. I just did all the ipd engine and tranny mounts and that's when I shared noticing it. But honestly I think it was my dad lifting it on its side with his fork lift lol ill add a photo later but it didn't look good

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Last winter, the city of Anchorage Alaska decided it would be a good idea to cut the road maintinence budget. As the ice built up we had a couple days of above freezing weather. This caused massive cracks and potholes and stuuf similar to "woops" that you would see on desert trails. All these things added up to two destroyed front struts, an outter tie rod end and two lower ball joints. IN A TWO WEEK PERIOD!!! That first dead strut made some very scary noises. Enough to the point I stopped driving the car for 3 days. They knocked like an angry midget with a sledge hammer! So....a dead strut is not out of the realm of possibility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts