SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a problem parking straight? Seems I overcompensate with this drive-e electronic steering and am always at an angle! I enjoy the ease of the electronic steering at speed - I just can't seem get used to it when parking. It's silly but people are work are starting to think I am a horrible driver :facepalm:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Did you recently get your drivers license?! Kidding of course, don't have anything constructive to add. Fortunately I don't parallel park often, if at all

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does anyone else have a problem parking straight?
I haven't done anything straight in many, many years. :rolleyes: That said, the slow mirrors and the dual lines camera do take some getting used to. Give it time and you'll work out a system. And, the self-park always does a good job, if you have it.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Does anyone else have a problem parking straight? Seems I overcompensate with this drive-e electronic steering and am always at an angle! I enjoy the ease of the electronic steering at speed - I just can't seem get used to it when parking. It's silly but people are work are starting to think I am a horrible driver :facepalm:
I am not the daily driver of the car, but when I do drive, I park crooked most of the time. It takes me a day or so to adjust to the Volvo when on vacation, but usually after that I am ok.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Yeah, I have trouble backing in using the camera. I seem to have to recheck myself by opening the door, so now tend to be going by feel and sense of direction (the old fashioned way) after getting in the spot and straightening. The lowering mirror doesn't offer a lot of help since it is pointed towards my rear passenger door and wheel. I also haven't been as precise (as usual) pulling in forward with the V60, though not sure why? Perhaps the longer nose or sight lines looking over the higher fenders (combined w/ driving position) than I'm used to? The XC60 seems to be easier to manage (get right) in this respect.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so I'm at least not the only one! Too bad our S/V60's don't come with that top-down view for parking that's available on the new XC-90's (how do they even do that anyway)??

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Okay, so I'm at least not the only one! Too bad our S/V60's don't come with that top-down view for parking that's available on the new XC-90's (how do they even do that anyway)??
Must be front, back and side viewing camera's with software to manipulate the images to appear like an overhead/satellite view.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can park straight the old fashioned way, but when I use the rear camera and the side mirrors, it's always at an angle, so I either leave it as it is, or I'll look like a student driver and try to fix it. O'well maybe the beauty of my V60 RD will distract onlookers to my amateur parking. My wife's XC60 is easier to back in, maybe because the mirrors are higher, or because I've learned how to park it after driving it for over a year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same here. If I use the camera, I come in crooked. If I do it the old fashion way, no problem. Made me wonder if the camera was miscalibrated.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Me Too

Same here. If I use the camera, I come in crooked. If I do it the old fashion way, no problem. Made me wonder if the camera was miscalibrated.
+1

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I had the same issues. It took me much longer to get used to the dimensions of the car than I was expecting too. I have a steep angled driveway that I essentially pull into blind and the first couple of months was full of minor heart attacks. After 8+ months and nearly 10k miles, I am finally fully confident in both the dimensions and parking the car. The sad thing is that I was a valet parker for many years growing up, so it shouldn't have taken me so long.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The sad thing is that I was a valet parker for many years growing up, so it shouldn't have taken me so long.
Too funny! I've had mine only 2 months so I'm probably looking at February till I'm a proficient Parker? Great...;)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It was hit or miss with backing in my V60...then I decided to park how I park the C30--the old fashioned way--and guess what...?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Odd, but I back in using the lines to stay parallel to the curb. (nice to have one set for the wheels and one set for the mirrors). Then I ignore the image and turn the wheel to straight and pull forward to adjust in the space. For what ever Sweedish reason, the lines are parallel in reverse and skewed in forward. Also, if you dip the camera down, when the back line of the space is about mid-screen, you are about centered in the space. I'm starting to crave meatballs with lingonberries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find that when pulling into parking spots, I have to seemingly angle the car to the right to have it straight between the lines. Its very hard to pin down what is actually causing this!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts