SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any new 'R' owners may want to pay more attention to this topic. I wish I had.

Here is just one of many threads on this subject: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?137211-AWD-Transfer-case-exhaust-bracket-of-death

Driving home today, due to construction on our street, our driveway was blocked and I pulled into my neighbousrs drive. Four people in the VR and it scraped the ground quite hard. Heard a grinding sound right way. An hour later I was able to get into my drive and I jacked up the car and had a look. The EBD was bent back and pushing up on the resonator. The resonator was touching the driveshaft. Removed the bracket and used a prybar to pull the exhaust back down. Everything looked OK until I took it for a drive arround the block. Vibration starting at 25 mph. Taking it to the stealership tomorrow morning. Not likely that they will cover this under warranty.

Out of curiosity, after I got the EBD off, I took the car next door and checked the clearance. Sure enough, with no one in the car, there was about 1 inch clearance at the point of impact. It was not so much a bump in the drive, but more of a change in angle and looks like it should not have been an issue.

CONCLUSION: Whover designed this bracket at Volvo was out of their skull. :mad:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Many have paid the price for a useless piece of metal. I probably would have if the info had not been on SS.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Dude the
EBD strikes again.

Sorry bro but from the threads here, the dealer will not cover this under warranty, but its always worth a try.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The exhaust bracket of death strikes again. I know firsthand how much this sucks. I lucked out in getting mine fixed for free (dealerships fault) but ask anyway. Volvo HAS to know about this problem. If the sampling of people who have had their driveshaft busted due to this bracket on this forum is anything to go by, I can't imagine what drivers of the R outside of this forum have dealt with.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That's terrible news for a new R owner. Sorry to hear.
Good luck getting it resolved.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Volvo does know about the problem, there is an updated part. They make you pay for it though, kinda messed up.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
they only make you pay for it if you aren't in warranty. I got the rain squeal bracket, which is not the same as removing it or shimming it.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Volvo does know about the problem, there is an updated part. They make you pay for it though, kinda messed up.
There is no updated bracket. The TNN says to remove it, nothing about a new bracket.

The rain squeal bracket is different in it's operation and serves a completely different purpose.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
There is no updated bracket. The TNN says to remove it, nothing about a new bracket.

The rain squeal bracket is different in it's operation and serves a completely different purpose.
Yep. The TNN basically just says if the customer requests the bracket to be removed that it can be done and that you should use some little shims (basically funky shaped washers) to hold up the heat shield.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Dude your a day late and a doller short... we knew about this issuse from day 1!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wow.... I can't believe that those thing's are still gettin folks......With that did they (Volvo) have a TCN on that???

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Wow.... I can't believe that those thing's are still gettin folks......With that did they (Volvo) have a TCN on that???
The TNN was only applied if the customer asked for it. They never took them off on their own, why I don't know.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
You can try and go after the construction company, or the city for damages a a result of the construction. Just an idea!
Well it wasn't their fault he drove into his neighbors driveway with a bunch of people in his car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah I can't enter one particular gate in my building if there are people in the backseat or I will hear a loud scraping noise of metal on concrete because there is a quick incline then decline at the sidewalk. I never knew what caused it until now. After reading this I guess I've been fortunate that it just scrapes a bit there and never bent it (or so I assume). I'm always careful when I see those kinds of elevation changes but sometimes what are you supposed to do?? Geez.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts

there is a revised part, a braided wire loop. And when they put on the rain squeal bracket the EBOD comes off.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
there is a revised part, a braided wire loop. And when they put on the rain squeal bracket the EBOD comes off.
True the EBD does come off when the rain squeal bracket goes on but they do not serve the same purpose and are not referenced together in the TNN.

The braided wire loop?? Ummm, that's an old TakSpeed product from way back. They introduced it when the EBD was first being discussed to help easy peoples minds about not knowing what the EBD was for. Now that we know its completely useless, there is no need for the TakSpeed wire dealio.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Now that we know its completely useless, there is no need for the TakSpeed wire dealio.
I still have mine... scared to take it off for fear of disrupting under body air flow... :)

One argument was in case the rear hangers failed, it would keep the exhaust from dragging on the ground. :rolleyes:

But since no knew what it was for, made sense to get one if you were already ordering something from Takspeed.

Speaking of Takspeed, are they still in business? I don't see vizwiz post anymore...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. Here is an update on where I'm at with this thing.

Dealer was booked solid today but they will be able to look at it on Monday. So the R sat in my garage today.
The service consultant said it would not be covered under warranty.

I called another dealer I know and got to speak with a tech. He mentioned he has personally seen this five times. He also told me that the bracket does have a purpose. It's there to assist the worker on the assembly line, kind of like having an extra hand. Once the exhaust is up it serves no purpose. So it's not for air flow and its not a safety net when the exhaust suddenly drops from the car.

Last thing he mentioned was that if the exhaust is bent the bill would be over $3200. Propeller shaft cost alone is $ 1,450.00 plus labour.

I also called a local specialty driveshaft repair shop. If I can bring them the propeller shaft, they will put it on "The Machine". Depending on how bad it is, they should be able to repair it. Budget is $ 70.00 to straighten and $ 60.00 to ballance.

So maybe...just maybe, for under $ 200 I can get the R back on the streets.

Tomorrow I'm going back under the car. Out of curiosity, I have a dial guage so I can check the runnout of the shaft.

My plan is to drop the shaft tomorrow and have it repaired on Monday!

Has anyone seen a thread on how to RE & RE a propeller shaft.
Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated. :eek:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts