SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a long time Volvo driver (all 850s) wagons and sedans. I have recently moved to LA and in shopping around located a very clean V70R and a s80 3.2 with 100,000. As both these cars are very different than the 850 and each other I am wondering what you folks would think I should be thinking about and looking for. I have been lurking your forum and have enjoyed it very much. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
2 v70r are in LA one is salvaged with a 6mt the other is a GT
I was never a fan of the 3.2 NA cars
have you seen this V8 S80 56k inscription interior so it has heated and cooled seats,only bummer its salvaged,i just noticed after i typed it up

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
VR will need a suspension overhaul ($1500 in parts) soon at that mileage along with coils ($250 in parts), a timing belt ($200 in parts), and a PCV system ($2-300 in parts). S80 I have no clue... however I can tell you a NA 3.2 compared to a turbo'd 5 is no comparison. Both cars weigh about the same, have the same transmission (assuming automatic), yet the VR has 300HP and the S80 has 220ish. If you can work on an 850 you can work on a V70R... you just need bigger wrenches for the suspension and a copy of VIDA (the car tells you what's wrong, it's wonderful).

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If the car was well maintained, including use of synthetic oil, then a PCV service isn't necessarily required. Mine was still pretty clean at 160K miles, but then again I don't cheap out on oil or go too long between oil changes.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
The 3.2 is an awful engine, in my opinion. Combined with the automatic transmission behavior it is even more loathsome. Will the S80 be more reliable? Probably. But if you care about having fun driving and can afford some maintenance, go for the R.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Why are you asking us? One is a grandpa car and one is a sleeper that will embarass domestic V8s. Which are you looking for?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts