SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have seen my thread yesterday in which I was stranded and needed towing to a dealership. As I suspected, my 3rd fuel pump this year has failed. I will now be on my 4th.

The dealership simply says that the fuel pump is bad and that they will replace it. They will NOT dig into the real problem for me.

When I pushed them to do so, I was told (see:threatened) that if nothing was found, I would be billed for countless hours of ripping the car apart.

After pushing more, I was informed that although they do not suspect any aftermarket parts caused the failure, these cars "do not take well to aftermarket parts."

My only "performance" mods are a K&N, Snabb, and R Kelly. It is also important to note that my first fuel pump failed on me after having my car 1 week while it was completely stock. Pump 2 also failed before any of these mods were put on. I believe it is logical to conclude that these have nothing to do with the pumps failing and even slightly hinting that they are is complete nonsense.

Simply put, I am frustrated. I will not accept replacing a fuel pump every 3 months, even if it is covered under the CPO warranty.

My questions are:

1) Who can I get involved here to actually do something and fix the real problem?

2) What could possibly be causing fuel pumps to fail at such an alarmingly high frequency?

I very much appreciate any help you all can provide.

-Patrick

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
1) Who can I get involved here to actually do something and fix the real problem?
You will need to elevate this to VCNA customer service.........or find another dealer who actually gives a $hit about finding the problem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Crap in the tank could kill it....a blocked up fuel filter could mess it up. When I replace a fuel pump in any car, the fuel filter gets changed. Was that done? I also heard alcahol in the fuel attracting moisture in the air. Water in the pump could mess it up. Even running the car out of fuel causing it to cavitate once can mess it up.
Theres just a lot of stuuf to go wrong.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crap in the tank could kill it....a blocked up fuel filter could mess it up. When I replace a fuel pump in any car, the fuel filter gets changed. Was that done? I also heard alcahol in the fuel attracting moisture in the air. Water in the pump could mess it up. Even running the car out of fuel causing it to cavitate once can mess it up.
Theres just a lot of stuuf to go wrong.
The fuel filter has not been replaced and will be my first level of troubleshooting should this fall upon deaf ears at VCNA.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
replacing the fuel filter is super easy to do and should be done every couple of years or so IMO...

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Thanks. Thought of him right away but I'd rather not bother him unless it becomes necessary.
Why not, its just a question he can either help or not. My guess is he'd help and set things right because he's cool like that.

·
Super Moderator
14,857 Posts
You will need to elevate this to VCNA customer service.........or find another dealer who actually gives a $hit about finding the problem.
dammit magoon...you beat me to it.

VCNA should be embarrassed that it progressed this far already.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
dammit magoon...you beat me to it.

VCNA should be embarrassed that it progressed this far already.
Sorry about that. Just going by my past experiences with a certain dealer's troubleshooting.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I thought I was on the BMW forums for a minute ;)

I think your plan of changing the filter is a great idea. I used to change mine every other year when I had my R...

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Here's my post from this thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?149813-R-just-stalled-today&

It might be relevant, or it might not.

It's not uncommon for the Pump Electronic Module (PEM) to fail on these cars, because of its location, which is external to the car. In fact, there is a TNN for relocation of the PEM to a place inside the car (inside the trunk or under the back seat - I can't remember which off-hand). If you search for "PEM relocation" you should be able to find something on that.

If you're going to have the PEM replaced, which is what it sounds like they've done, you should make sure they've relocated per the appropriate TNN.

There is a lot of great info from kmg_s60R in this thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...OT-performance-problems.&p=1129804&viewfull=1 regarding the cleaning, relocation and replacement of the PEM. He indicates that the correct TNN number for the PEM relocation is TNN 23-32.

In this thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...essure-and-dealership-issues-(long)&p=1557992 Insider indicates that he had consecutive fuel pumps fail before the dealership realized that the PEM was corroded/bad and they replaced it and relocated it, which seems to have fixed his problem.

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
That sounds like way too many pumps over that period of time. Something else maybe?
I've solved a lot of problems by starting at the power source for the thing I'm looking at.
I'm not intimate with P2 systems, but I'd expect a fuel pump relay to be in that car.
If it's getting old, it may fail intermittently and not always be an obvious problem.

If you're comfortable with electrics, one approach would be to temporarily attach some
leads back at the pump, as close as you can reasonably get, and watch the voltage.
A DMM would work, but a logger would be the cat's putootie. Know any technodweebs?
Car dies? What happened to the voltage when it did? Monitoring current would be another clue.
That can help isolate the problem and get you on the right path. May take a while, but you'll know.

Or just replace the relay.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
No I don't want search, so what mod is an "R Kelly"?
R Kelly along with Jim Lill came up with the fog light cold air intake that iPd now sells.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
R Kelly along with Jim Lill came up with the fog light cold air intake that iPd now sells.
Then why don't they call it the r Kelly lill? Or just a cai? The R Kelly throws off every new person. Especially since r Kelly doesn't even sell them anymore.

Sent from the "truth hurts get over it" hater factory that is my mind

1 - 20 of 153 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.