SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XC-90 T6 Inscription
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put a metal hybrid/vacuum sputter-metalized window tint (such as Solar Gard HP Charcoal) on their XC90? Did you install it on all windows to include the windshield/AS1 strip and sunroof? If so, have you experienced any signal loss issues with your cell phone, GPS, Sat/AM/FM radio, car key, etc?

Local dealer/installer says it will only affect AM radio reception, tint manufacturer responded simply saying it is not signal safe.

I prefer the higher IR rejection/lower cost offered by the metal technology vs the lowest IR rejection/lowest cost of dyed tint or the highest IR rejection/highest cost of ceramic tint.

·
Registered
(MysAg) MY06 V50 'HS5' T5 AWD 6-spd
64 Posts
I've had 3M Crystalline tint for years. Especially when I was in SoCal, it was the best performing tint I've ever used. Every tint I've installed on past vehicles looked great, but aided with privacy more than it rejected heat.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have 3m crystalline as well on my t8 and i have solar guard vortex on my Extended cab pickup currently. I splurged for The crystalline on the xc90 (i think $750ish for entire vehicle including windshield) and it has been worth every penny. The crystalline is 40% rears 20% front and 90% windshield. The vortex is 5% vlt on everything but windshield. The lighter crystalline outperforms the vortex hands down, doesn’t block and signals and you can actually see out at night so the vehicle is safer to drive rather than being blind when you are in dark areas. 3m crystalline is the best tint i have ever had on any vehicle.

Also i live in Las Vegas and in the 8 years in have had my
Pickup with the tint that was installed when i first got it i have had the tint redone once due to the glue purpling after 6 years of desert sun. I have been told the crystalline wont do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
For MY16 XC90s and any other Volvo with dTPMS, there is TJ 31398.5.0 that identifies darkly tinted windows as a possible issue between the dTMPS transmitters and the vehicle receiver. Metallic tint may cause a similar issue although the TJ does not mention it.

Since OP has a MY18 with iTPMS, I don't think it applies, but FYI.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts