SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 S40 T5 AWD 6M that I bought a couple of months ago. In the past week with it getting colder either the HVAC has a problem or I can't figure out how to work the heater:confused:

The AC is off and the temperature dial is cranked all the way up, yet it only blows ambient temperature air:( Am I right to assume that the issue is a small electronic flap inside of the dash, and is it worth going to the dealer (1 hr away) to fix? Or am I just a n00b?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
To work the heater, just turn the temperature dial up and make sure the fan is on. The air should become warmer as the temp. dial goes up. Does this happen, or is it just a constant temp?

I don't know much about HVAC in the car, so I'm not sure. But I can poke around VIDA if I have some free time. Hopefully someone will chime in for you!

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'd bet that DiCE / VIDA will have raised a flag that will direct you to the problem area. You can either pay a dealer/indy for a scan or buy the Chinese Clone DiCE scanner for about the same amount of money.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another possibility is the thermostat not working and is stuck open.
I'll look into it. Is it a common problem?

Whats a little funny is that the temperature gauge begins rising just 15 or 20 seconds after I start the car and gets up to temperature very quick. Much faster than any other cars I've owned:confused:

·
Registered
180 Posts
If the car gets up to temperature ok it's not going to be the thermostat. Sounds like it's drawing the air from outside without routing it through the heat exchanger. If you work the AC/heater around do you hear groaning coming from the dash? There should be, it's the flaps adjusting. If you don't hear anything there might be an issue there.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'm new to Volvo's. I don't know where they put the Temp sensor. But I find 15 to 20 seconds to be quite quick for a car to get to temp. I don't think the antifreeze will get hot that quickly. I can see the block getting hot that quickly. Thermostats normally go bad in two ways. They can lockup not open to allow the antifreeze to circulate, and that's when the car overheats, or they remain open and it doesn't allow to provide heat. As Unruled states above, it could also be the flaps or a valve not working properly.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Check your coolant level. After having my dealer flush and fill my coolant system a few years back, they didn't fill the system properly and I didn't have heat in the cabin. After filling the coolant system properly, I was back to normal cabin heat. Check the obvious first.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check your coolant level. After having my dealer flush and fill my coolant system a few years back, they didn't fill the system properly and I didn't have heat in the cabin. After filling the coolant system properly, I was back to normal cabin heat. Check the obvious first.
My coolant level is fine, but thanks for reminding me that I need to order a new reserve tank, as the current one has cracks in the top.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
When was the Cabin/Pollen Filter last changed? I'd start with that first. Usually after 12 months it will collect a good load of leaves, dirt, and whatever you can think of.

edit: read you just bought the car a couple of months ago. I'd order a pollen filter and switch it out and go from there. It is part of the annual maintenance anyway.

·
Registered
838 Posts
That cracked reserve tank can be giving you the problem. the coolant system works with pressure also, and you may be loosing pressure with that crack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever fix this problem? Just replaced the coolant and damper motor which is allowing the heat to get in, but it's not coming out at full strength.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'll look into it. Is it a common problem?

Whats a little funny is that the temperature gauge begins rising just 15 or 20 seconds after I start the car and gets up to temperature very quick. Much faster than any other cars I've owned:confused:
If the temp raises this fast then I bet it is the thermostat. Also, I'm assuming the A/C button is OFF when you're working the heater?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts