SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working with this odd scenario with my vents.<br>As the title says, when I open the glove box I get stronger air flow. I can't figure this out, I mean, I used do residential HVAC, so I have my ideas, but wonder if this is common on these cars.<br>When I have my fan on high speed and I have this 'max' level of air flow from the vents. When I open my glove box there is a noticeable increase in airflow from all of the vents.<p>Conventional thought process says it's drawing air from behind the glove box, but I couldn't find an inlet. I suspected my cabin air filter to be plugged, but it was fine, I even tested the system w/o the cabin air filter in there, but no change.<p>So a few questions. <br>Does anyone else notice this?<br>Are the air inlets far enough inside the dash to make this happen?<br>I would like to figure this out, maybe open something up or place a duct to allow maximum air in and out. (summer time is coming)<p>Thanks<br>

·
Registered
517 Posts
Re: (Bender)

I've noticed that when I open my glove box, the blower makes a whole lot more noise. Are you sure it's not just that: more noise?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Paysts)

Meh, that is a good idea Paysts, that does seem like something that can happen.<p>But this time it really is airflow. Every day I'm in there plugging my iPod in after work, and every time I get gas I log in in a book from my glove box - yes, neurotic, but oh well. Every time it is stronger flow.<p>Fan on high speed, selector on full face air, no change in vent positions, no change in doors/windows open/closed. Today I had a passenger who agrees that it's stronger - she recommended driving with the glovebox open. <br>If it weren't broken I'd use my flow meter to gauge it - eh.<p>This isn't a huge issue, if no one else has ran across this then I'll chalk it up as my car having a unique issue. If I stumble into a schematic of the dash and duct system I'll check it out more in detail. As far as I can tell the ducting behind the glove box is good, and when I changed out my HU it looked ok behind the center as well.<p>Thanks!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Re: (spiked60)

I checked this out today and found that if you open the glove box and put your hand over and behind the glove box you can feel it drawing in air. And yes, it does blow a little bit faster.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: hvac air pressure question - open glove box = stronger air??? (spiked60)

Do you have the system set to recirculate. Where it uses mostly the air from inside you car. Because i believe that it draws in air behind the glove box.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: hvac air pressure question - open glove box = stronger air??? (campinassassin)

Ah, another good answer.<p>No, it is not set to recirc, also it's on 'manual' for face vents, not on the 'auto' feature (the dot at the 1030 clock face position)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts