SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I jacked up the 240 today to put the spacers and the 16-inch S80 steelies on the car. One problem, the spacers are supposed to fit flush. There are two bolts in the rotor of the disc brakes to hold it to the hub. The first is one with a guiding pin, the other is just a regular hex head bolt.<p>I removed the one with the guiding pin and tried to put on the spacer, thinking I can just get some non-guiding pin replacements. However, the spacers still don't fit flush over the regular hex head bolt.<p>That bolt fits against the back of a stud/bolt head on the spacer, but there's just not enough clearance. It's probably only about 1 or 2 mm off, but that's not flush, and it leaves me concerned.<p>Does anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Hurdles Fitting H&R Wheel Spacers to Project 245 ([email protected])

George:<br>Why not drill a hole in the back side of the spacer so that the bolt head fits into the hole? You do not have to drill all the way through and the unbalance should not be significant. <br>Rich

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Hurdles Fitting H&R Wheel Spacers to Project 245 (Maya Gold)

Not a bad idea, though I'd have a reservation about it even if I knew it wouldn't work. Here's why...<p>My reservation would be compromising the thing. One of the main reasons for going with H&R is liability. It's a critical point on the car safety-wise, so going with a large, well known company made sense.<p>Why it wouldn't work is another reason entirely. Those bolts back against actual lug bolts. These bolts are mounted into the alloy body of the spacer and stick through, acting as studs when the spacer is fitted. I'd have to drill into the bolt itself, which would complicate things.<p>I found a pan head screw of the same thread at the Hardware store. It is flat enough that it clears and the spacer fits flush.<p>My newest prob is that I believe the car's studs are SAE, but the nuts and studs on the spacers are metric. The main prob is that the nuts that hold the spacer to the car's studs will thus not fit. I need to get different ones from H&R as they are specially shaped nuts.<p>Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts