SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the drivers side wheel hub because it was humming badly at highway speeds. But it is still humming at highway speeds with te new wheel hub.. Any idea why? I'll take a video and post it in a little bit.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I would check tires as well, cupping will cause humming and road noise. IF it is indeed cupped tires, I would would check your alignment.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Did the same exact thing this weekend. I think I may replace 3 more hubs, one at a time until I figure it out.

Also, won't the rear driveshaft hum really badly if it's out of balance?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Did the same exact thing this weekend. I think I may replace 3 more hubs, one at a time until I figure it out.

You mean the center driveshaft that drives the rear wheels? I thought it vibrates the entire car and rain squeals, not hum. I would check the angle gear, has it been inspected lately? Have you done a angle gear fluid change? Is your AWD working? Are you sure it's not coming from the axle bearing for the passenger side driveshaft?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same issue, it's not the hub its the tires in my case.
What are you running for tires? The vibration I got from my old lower end tires Nankang NS-II's YUCK
I am running lower end sumitomo tires. I had kumhoe tires before and the noise was there too.. I my tires then were cupped and so I replaced them. But the same sound remained with the new ones. The sound seemed to come more from the front wheel hubs and not the rear. Felt more like drivers side front.

I would check tires as well, cupping will cause humming and road noise. IF it is indeed cupped tires, I would would check your alignment.
Since these brand new tires (few thousand miles ago) I have kept up with my alignment well.. Althought my alignment does go out every oil change or so... normal?

hhmmm... I did not think about the rear driveshaft... How often does that need to be balanced?

I am posting a video that I took a few mins ago to let you guys hear the sound.. click on the picture for the video.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Sounds like brakes rotors caliper seize. bearings failure will change pitch at different speeds, I had my bearings go on my R and dint sound like that.

·
6,436 Posts
you should have done two sides at once - when i did my rears i though my right was shot, but it was really the left that was really bad

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like brakes rotors caliper seize. bearings failure will change pitch at different speeds, I had my bearings go on my R and dint sound like that.
what do you recoomend I should do? (to test if it is a seize) btw.. braking is even... no wheel pull in a certain direction.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you should have done two sides at once - when i did my rears i though my right was shot, but it was really the left that was really bad
I didn't have time this past weekend to do both.. I'm hoping to change out the other one in a week and a half.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You mean the center driveshaft that drives the rear wheels? I thought it vibrates the entire car and rain squeals, not hum.
Anything is possible, duder. But after listening to the video it's definitely not that.

Check to make sure the rotor shields aren't rubbing against the rotor (most likely not the case, you'll hear it for miles when rolling less than 5 mph). Check all the axle bolts and make sure they're seated properly. Also check the front axles, they're held in by a weird collar thing (at least the passenger side is, I haven't been lucky enough to removed a driver's side axle... yet) attached by two bolts. Are the brake pads all normal thickness? If you have one set that's ridiculously thinner than the rest, you know what the deal is.

If I were you I would pull off each wheel and spin the hub by hand. Assuming it's a bad bearing and the bearing is making that much noise, it'll be hard to turn or grind when spun by hand.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I changed out both rears and what an amazing difference. I went with a set of Beck/Arnley Wheel Bearings and as of now couldn't be happier! Found them on Amazon.com for 90.00 each and the come with all the hardware required.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Sorry, that def sounds like you guessed the wrong wheel bearing the first time. Bets way to tell is to gently lean or "slalom" the car while driving. The noise will decrease as the car's weight leans/rolls to the good side.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

This is why mine is humming. I found it this weekend during a tire change. It is louder while coasting for me.
Interesting! I've RARELY seen an inner boot fail like that. Bummer. Messy but easy to fix.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts