SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My budget is around $60000. I have about 7 dealerships within a 50 mile radius. I do not want to order the vehicle I will purchase from the local lot. Having said that I can't find a XC90 with both those option in the title without going over my budget. I can however find all the packages I want but they either have the HUD or the 4 corner air. Which do you all think is the better choice. I know it's owners preference but to me they are both great options. I have never owned a vehicle with air suspension but I did have a HUD in my BMW. I like having a digital speedometer and I know it comes with one already. I just want to know what everyone's thoughts are and maybe why you chose one over the other.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Personally I would go with the Air Suspension after test driving one with it. The HUD doesn't do anything for me and I probably wouldn't build an XC90 with it.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Do you plan on keeping the car over 4 years? I ask because I feel the air suspension setup will be much more costly over the long run than HUD will be. Also, do you tend to drive 'enthusiastically' where you think you will take advantage of the air suspension? Or do you do more leisure drives where you would find yourself using navigation more often? Because then the HUD could be more useful sending nav directions to the HUD and also displaying road sign info as well as speed up there.

I guess in the end, HUD is a bit more of a gimmick even though it is touted as a safety feature but I like it. I do like the air suspension as well and honestly, it'd be tough for me to choose between the two, but I think personally for my driving style and how long I keep my vehicles, I'd go for HUD.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My budget is around $60000. I have about 7 dealerships within a 50 mile radius. I do not want to order the vehicle I will purchase from the local lot. Having said that I can't find a XC90 with both those option in the title without going over my budget. I can however find all the packages I want but they either have the HUD or the 4 corner air. Which do you all think is the better choice. I know it's owners preference but to me they are both great options. I have never owned a vehicle with air suspension but I did have a HUD in my BMW. I like having a digital speedometer and I know it comes with one already. I just want to know what everyone's thoughts are and maybe why you chose one over the other.
Get BOTH! LOL. :D

For me, it came down to heated windshield AND I wanted air... I spend enough time in the cold & snow that this will be invaluable for winter driving. I probably do not pay much attention to instruments while driving to be honest. Also, the digital displays in the console are very good. I don't regret not have HUD at all. Just my .02cents (which were clearly rooted in the climate & WX).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Air suspension!!!!!!! Mine has HUD and Air suspension and I turned off the HUD, it is kind of annoying to me. Love the air though, especially when I walk out to the car and it has a lowered stance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again thanks for all the responses. I'm leaning towards air now. I like the idea of the lowering for easy access and better ride quality. I will have the car a while but in 3-4 years money won't be an issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't think you need either one.

·
Registered
180 Posts
+1 on the air suspension. HUD for me would probably be the last item I would check off on the list if I were prioritizing my options. If you're going for the larger wheels, the air suspension would be even more beneficial.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I find the response in this thread very interesting. There are plenty of threads where people just espouse the virtue of the regular suspension, even those who have tried both.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Here's what I like about the Air Suspension.

- Overall ride quality seems fantastic. Granted, i can't comment on whether the regular spring suspension is just as good as I haven't spent significant time in the spring model.
- I live in a very snowy area so the option of raising the suspension up to give me 10+ inches of ground clearance is very appealing. I've been high centered in the middle of the road more than once in past winters.
- I like being able to lower the suspension when at high speeds on a freeway. I would assume better fuel mileage comes from this in addition to better handling.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I find the response in this thread very interesting. There are plenty of threads where people just espouse the virtue of the regular suspension, even those who have tried both.
I agree that this is interesting data... I think that for those of us that choose air (coming from a standard suspension) the differences likely become more & more noticeable with more driving (as compared to taking just 2 test drives with and without air). For those of us that have it, we all seem to absolutely love it. I haven't heard 1 person complain about AIR or wish they hadn't checked that box.

At the same time, I also haven't heard people complaining about NOT getting it either, as I'm sure the ride characteristics with the standard springs are quite nice also, and in many cases nicer than the coil suspension on their previous vehicle.

Just seems like AIR is something that has been implemented well with this new design, and makes for an interesting ability to customize the ride profiles a bit more than with the springs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I skipped both. We ended up doing: inscription, climate, vision, booster, black headliner. It came to around 60k. The problem with whats available at the dealer is it's either bare bones or totally loaded, not a lot of inventory around the 60k mark.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Its unanimous that the ride & handling of 4C is superior to the the tranverse spring.
Having said that, its the hassle, maintenance, and costs of the air suspension down the road that needs to be considered.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Go with air suspension if you can only choose one! Never had HUD (lol) but willing to try it this time around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts