SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of polarized Raybans. When I wear them, the HUD info becomes barely visible.

Am I unlucky with my unique pair of sunglasses, or are you guys experiencing the same thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nope... not you or the sunglasses... Most polarized sunglass do not work well with the HUD...

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Tip your head 90 degrees, it's then legible. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I've posted this when this topic came up previously but I bought a cheapo pair of non polarized sunglasses and use them only when driving. I leave em' in that small compartment to the left of the steering column along with my 'good' shades for when I'm not driving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just took delivery yesterday so I don't have much experience with this yet. So far my polarized Ray-Bans and Maui Jims make it really hard to see my HUD but not impossible if I turn the brightness all the way up. But, I did try my sister's Smith Optics with ChromaPop and I could see the display much clearer. I think I'll be asking for a pair of ChromaPop aviators for Christmas.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It varies greatly with the paricular polarization of each particular set of glasses. Polarization always reduces HUD visibility by design, but some more than others. I have prescription sunglasses with polarization and can't read my iPad with them on at all for the same reason. I can still read my HUD but that's because I cranked up the brightness to maximum. It makes it super bright at night with regular glasses but worth it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is why I never ordered the HUD - I need my polarized sunglasses and I'm not about to look like an idiot traveling down the highway with my head cocked 90 degrees.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have a pair of polarized Raybans. When I wear them, the HUD info becomes barely visible.

Am I unlucky with my unique pair of sunglasses, or are you guys experiencing the same thing?

On Mercs with HUDs, you can actually rotate the polarization of the display to make it more visible through polarized glasses.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Aren't there sunglasses that are not polarized, which work just fine with HUD?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Aren't there sunglasses that are not polarized, which work just fine with HUD?
Absolutely, but then you lose the benefits of having polarized lenses. I much prefer to drive with polarized lenses, as they cut out almost all of the glare.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have a wonderful set of non polarized lenses for my ray bans that are meant for driving. Works fantastic with the HUD.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I think your results depend on the brand and finish of your polarized sunglasses. I have had non-prescription Maui Jim's that are polarized and difficult to read myniPad. However, I have prescription LaCoste polarized sunglasses that work just fine with the iPad. I don't have my car yet so I cannot say what the results will be with HUD. Anyway, my experience shows that all polarized sunglasses are not the same.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thought I would give some additional information on the polarized sunglasses with HUD option. 2 weeks ago I had my front windows tinted. The installer convinced me to tint/clear film the windshield as well. He noted that it would block 99% of the UV rays and preserve the leather dash. I decided to pay the $140 he wanted to do the windshield. As a result I can now see the HUD display with polarized glasses. Prior to the film I wasn't able to see anything (with Maui Jim's). It's an option for those of you that park outside in the harsh sunlight.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought I would give some additional information on the polarized sunglasses with HUD option. 2 weeks ago I had my front windows tinted. The installer convinced me to tint/clear film the windshield as well. He noted that it would block 99% of the UV rays and preserve the leather dash. I decided to pay the $140 he wanted to do the windshield. As a result I can now see the HUD display with polarized glasses. Prior to the film I wasn't able to see anything (with Maui Jim's). It's an option for those of you that park outside in the harsh sunlight.
Can you see the HUD display without polarized glasses as well? Unfortunately, here in Lima - Peru, we aren't allowed to polarize windshields... Bummer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can you see the HUD display without polarized glasses as well? Unfortunately, here in Lima - Peru, we aren't allowed to polarize windshields... Bummer.

Yes. Looks great without sunglasses, both day and night.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes. Looks great without sunglasses, both day and night.

Can you share the information on the tint as I'd like to have it applied to my XC90 with HUD when it arrives?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The installer convinced me to tint/clear film the windshield as well. He noted that it would block 99% of the UV rays and preserve the leather dash. I decided to pay the $140 he wanted to do the windshield.
By law, all windshields in North America are laminated, which means they are two panes of glass sandwiching vinyl. This also means that your windshield (and every other one in North America) already blocked 98-99% of UVA, UVB and UVC rays. You should demand your money back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts