SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally pulled the snow tires off our XC90 and had a bear of a time. Three of the four wheels were bound to the hubs by rust/white corrosion onto the hub. This would be the small section of the hub that sits inside the aluminum rim, providing the hubcentric surface which centers the wheel on the hub. On each of these three wheels, I had to loosen the lug bolts a turn and a half, then put the cars weight back on those wheels and rock it to get the wheels to release from the hubs. While not technically difficult, this involved jacking the car up and down a few extra times to get all the wheels off.

I wire brushed each of the hubs, as spread a very thin coat of Copper Slip, the aluminum safe, Never-Sieze material on both the hub and the first ¼ inch of the inside of the rim, so I don't anticipate seeing this issue again, but it was not a fun time, so I figured I'd let everyone know what I ran into. These were stock 18 inch OEM rims on a car that has 15K miles on it. Also, while we have a lot of dampness around all winter, we don't have much, if any snow/ice salt materials spread on our roads in Western Washington State.

While you have the never seize out, DO NOT take the opportunity to lubricate the lugs before replacing them. The owner's manual stresses the bolts are installed dry (to get the proper torque readings) and since they are galvanized, corrosion should not be an issue for many years.

The little plastic chrome lug bolt covers are pretty wimpy. While they are attractive and cover the galvanized lugs well, I know they will get damaged or lost over time. My Saab had snow tire rim covers that used similar, but black, lug covers. Within two years, I was missing several. Does anyone know what wheel bolts the current XC90 comes with? Has anyone changed over to a stud and acorn nut yet? These are heavy wheels to hold in place, while getting the first bolt in.

While I had the wheels off, I did examine the suspension components and brakes.

1. I noticed that the bottoms of my front strut gaiters, both sides, were no longer attached to the top of the strut cartridge. With the car jacked up, they were hanging; the bottom of each gaiter having slipped off of its mount. Normally, I'd replace them and just throw a nylon zip tie on it, but since we are going in for regular maintenance on Tuesday, I figured I'd let the dealer see it and repair it. I just slipped them back into place.

2. I noticed that there was a huge amount of brake pad left on both the fronts and the rear disks. With 15,000 Realtor/Mom's Taxi miles on our XC90, I expected a lot more wear based on what I've read on this forum.

Overall, I continue to be very happy with this vehicle. I just wish I got to drive it more often <Sigh>. Oddly enough, ever since I slogged it through the slippery clay mud, off road at Dinosaur National Park, and got it caked in mud up to the black strip on the side of the door, I get the evil eye when I take it out alone. <grin>

Jack

·
Registered
700 Posts
Re: Hub(centric) rust, front strut gaiters & brakes (jib)

We have had the same issue on our other past cars which were hub centric, and after using the Never-Sieze, we never had an issue removing the snows or summer tires durring the change over. Yep, never do the lugs, keep them dry.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Re: Hub(centric) rust, front strut gaiters & brakes (jib)

I can order you genuine Volvo chrome plated lug bolts at $29.12/set of ten (plus UPS).

(same lug bolt used for a lot of late Volvo's)

When I had a VW Corrado a long while ago, I had a hardware supplier get me one long shanked bolt with a thread pattern that matched the cars lug studs. I cut the head off of the bolt and chamfered that edge on a grinder. I now could insert this bolt into the hub/brake rotor and "hang" the wheel on it in order to more properly insert the real lug bolts. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

John Sharisky

·
Registered
499 Posts
Re: Hub(centric) rust, front strut gaiters & brakes (Parts @ Boston Volvo)

Quote, originally posted by Parts @ Boston Volvo »
I can order you genuine Volvo chrome plated lug bolts at $29.12/set of ten (plus UPS).

(same lug bolt used for a lot of late Volvo's)

John Sharisky

Don't mean to hijack the thread but wasn't the free shipping extended to 5/31 on your website? I went there to place my order today and found that shipping is $8.95 now.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Re: Hub(centric) rust, front strut gaiters & brakes (AccuView)

Quote, originally posted by AccuView »

Don't mean to hijack the thread but wasn't the free shipping extended to 5/31 on your website? I went there to place my order today and found that shipping is $8.95 now.

Yup, I was ordered to change it today. I'll honor the free UPS Ground shipping for you if you go ahead and place your order, then send me an e-mail (address below) referencing your post here. Easy.

John Sharisky

·
Registered
499 Posts

Yup, I was ordered to change it today. I'll honor the free UPS Ground shipping for you if you go ahead and place your order, then send me an e-mail (address below) referencing your post here. Easy.

John Sharisky

Done. Thanks!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I can order you genuine Volvo chrome plated lug bolts at $29.12/set of ten (plus UPS).John Sharisky

John,

Decisions, decisions. . . . Are these seperate cone washer/bolts, like the Volvo galvanized bolts, or is the chrome slippery enough that it's not required.

Long shank bolt - While a great idea, I'm thinking I'll probably wait and find studs and acorn nuts. Then changing out wheels is easy and I won't have a single stud to install each time.

Thanks for the information and offer.

Jack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts