SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to replace my hub bearing last night (what should have been an easy job, done quite a few) and by some horrible chance, my half shaft pulled out a hair too far and one of the bearings popped out of the race in th inner boot.

There are 6 bearings with a rotational slotted spline on the shaft side and the cup side (that goes into the tranny) has the race where the 6 bearings go. We (couple buddies and I) have pulled the inner boot off and are able to see it but can not get the spline to go back into the race/cup where the bearings are at. There are a few problems I'm dealing with....

First is I'm working from the ground (in the driveway of my buddies house) so we don't have much room to work with. Second is that we can't get the cup out of the tranny because we don't have any leverage to pry the case out.

My question you out there is.....

1. What is your recommendation for trying to get the cup out of the tranny? Can I use an air hammer or air chisel to tap at the back side of the cup?

2. If I can get the cup out of the tranny, would I be able to re-build the axle on a bench and would it be ok to have that in the vehicle versus a new one?

3. I have ordered a new axle from O'Reilly Auto Parts that will be in Tuesday and it comes with a lifetime warranty. Are those going to work as well as factory one?

Help me out here guys....I love my R but it feels like it's a money pit. I have put more money into this car than I have put in ANY of my other cars, combined, for repair and maintenance.

TIA....

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Remove the rest of the shaft, the part that goes into the transmission, and re-install the bearing on a bench. I used a bench vise to hold mine vertical. It takes a lot of patience, but it is possible. There is a fair amount to explain to make it go smoother, but I have a cold and am a bit out of it. I'll subscribe and you can PM me with questions if you want.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove the rest of the shaft, the part that goes into the transmission, and re-install the bearing on a bench. I used a bench vise to hold mine vertical. It takes a lot of patience, but it is possible. There is a fair amount to explain to make it go smoother, but I have a cold and am a bit out of it. I'll subscribe and you can PM me with questions if you want.
Slvr....can I give you a call tomorrow sometime and maybe have you walk me through how to get it back together? Also, how do u suggest I get the case out of the tranny? I am working with NOT much leverage so it makes it hard to use a pry bar. PM me your number if I can call you tomorrow (probably late afternoon) and see what you can do to help me.

Thanks very much for the info....

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
There is a retainer bracket that holds the half shaft to the frame. Two bolts hold it on. Then you can slide the whole thing out. Make sure to put a oil pan under the hole it comes out of. You will lose most of the angle gear fluid and some transmission fluid, so you'll need to get some at the dealer or auto store. I got the Volvo stuff. When you put the bearings back in make sure you use a lot of grease. The stuff I used was a purple color and I'm not sure if that is what Volvo uses. It is kind of difficult to explain how you put the bearing in as my dad and myself just did it by trial and error. The last one we put in using a wooden stake and hammer. Basically you have the half of the shaft that goes into the transmission vertical, preferably in a vise, and the the outer shaft will be held by a helper that will rotate it as you place the bearings back in the cage. Lots of grease is key to get the bearings to stick as well as for lubrication once it's all back together. There is really no trick that I can tell you on the bearing installation. The process is long and tedious, but I managed to bang it out after work in about 6 hours which includes the buttoning up of it all. Also, be very careful when you re-install so as not to cause the same issue. I wired the shaft up to keep it from moving during install. Sounds like you have helpers, so I have faith that you'll get it done. When it happened to me I went at it the wrong way initially and it seemed hopeless, but I got it all back together and I'm am not a ASE certified mechanic. You are lucky you caught it before you put it back together and didn't damage the cage. I did after my spring install and had to weld the cage because it's not like you can just buy another cage.

Since tomorrow is Mother's day I'm going to be busy with that stuff, so it's kind of iffy that I can talk. I'll send you my # and if worse comes to worse I can at least text you.

·
Registered
210 Posts
OMG, the horrible memories.

Same thing happened to me. Getting the ball bearings back in was like one of those novelty metal wire puzzles. You just have to tinker with it for a while until you get it together. Once you do, you'll have no idea how you did it, but you'll just be happy that you did. I felt like the 1st caveman who discovered fire. I tore mine completely apart, wiped out all the grease, put just enough new grease in to hold the bearings in the race, spent forever and a day re-assembling it, then added new grease.

Sorry, this doesn't answer HOW to do it, rather than just advises you to just keep playing with it.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yeah, it happened to me as well. Sucks. I broke both of my cages and scored the crap out of the cups when I tried to drive it, thinking that I had it back together.

What Justin (Slvr) said is pretty accurate, except for a small detail: It will be all trans fluid, and no angle gear fluid. The angle gear is normally sealed until you remove the drain plug, or fluid comes out of the vent.

If those axle you get from the store are the wrong ones, or whatever- Consider getting used ones from a salvage yard.

Here is my thread about my ICTWRFFBA experience. ;) http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...trol-Arm-replacement-leads-to-broken-CV-joint

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Yeah, it happened to me as well. Sucks. I broke both of my cages and scored the crap out of the cups when I tried to drive it, thinking that I had it back together.

What Justin (Slvr) said is pretty accurate, except for a small detail: It will be all trans fluid, and no angle gear fluid. The angle gear is normally sealed until you remove the drain plug, or fluid comes out of the vent.

If those axle you get from the store are the wrong ones, or whatever- Consider getting used ones from a salvage yard.

Here is my thread about my ICTWRFFBA experience. ;) http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...trol-Arm-replacement-leads-to-broken-CV-joint
Nope you're wrong. It is angle gear fluid too. I know because it actually happened to me. Came pouring out more so than the transmission fluid and I had just had it filled when my clutch was serviced since they replaced a seal. Either way there will be a fair amount of fluid coming out. Pretty close to a quart of it.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I know I'm not wrong, I filled the angle gear assembly when It was off of the car when I R/R'd my collar sleeve.

Regardless, you are right that a seal may be damaged on OP's car and a lot of fluid will escape, though the fluids origins may vary. :)

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Skot, do you by chance have an exploded view of the transmission/angle gear/half shaft? Now that we're arguing about it got me wondering how the assembly all fits together. I'm guessing that seal that the dealership supposedly fixed after they [email protected]#$ed it up is on the left of the angle gear in the above pic.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
So, I removed mine on a slightly inclined driveway with the front of the car jacked up pretty high.....expect some decent fluid loss if that's how you're angled. I'm guessing if you're on a lift/car is more parallel to the ground it will be minimal.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Here's a picture of the angle gear assembly... I couldn't find one that shows the axle going through the angle gear to the trans, but I'll keep looking, i guess. Name that operating system!

In this picture, it's showing the face of the angle gear that attaches to the collar sleeve. You can see light through it. The seals that keep the angle gear fluid inside the angle gear are on the outside of the spline shaft.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Hum, not sure what to think now about where all that fluid came from. It wasn't the transmission because there wasn't much missing. Also, my angle gear isn't leaking, so I have no idea where the fluid came from. The seal where the collar is was supposedly replaced on my car since they screwed it up while replacing the clutch. Kinda puzzled now. For some reason I thought the sleeve was on the propeller shaft. Taking the angle gear out really doesn't look that hard.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Oh, it's actually quite easy. The toughest part is figuring out how to take out the five bolts that hold the AG to the trans. The 6mm hex bolts that hold the prop shaft to the AG are a little tricky, too. I found that the Allen tools with the T handle and the built in wobbler round bit works best.

I found an exploded view of everything, though it's kind of a crappy picture, and for some reason my vadis stopped working.

came from this thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...output-to-left-axle-angle-gear-and-right-axle

PS- Yay! 1,000 posts! I'm a Member!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks guys...I am going to attempt to remove the case from the tranny this afternoon (daughter has had soccer tournament all weekend) I am loaning a slide hammer with axle removal attachment to hopefully remove the case. If I can get that to work, then my 2nd plan is to try and rebuild the axle. If I can't, I'll just wait til Tuesday and get the axle from O'Reilly's. Hoping that it'll work, no problem. If for some reason that doesn't work, then yes, I'll consider a salvage one.

Again, thanks for the help and Justin, I got your PM. I'll only call if I need you and get lost.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Good luck with what ever you decide. The new OEM axle will be a sure fix. I almost when that route as well. My setup has been running fine since the fall, so I think I'm in the clear. Now it's control arm bushing replacement time.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I am going to attempt to remove the case from the tranny this afternoon (daughter has had soccer tournament all weekend) I am loaning a slide hammer with axle removal attachment to hopefully remove the case.
Keep in mind, there's not much holding the axle in place:

This is just a generic image, but I assume this is the part that is stuck on the car? There's a clip that slides into the slot near the tip of the spline that holds the axle in place. Maybe try rotating the cup 180° and pull again. Shouldn't be that hard to remove.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update.....

I was able to get the casing out of the tranny with a pry bar. I think I was frustrated yesterday and didn't have the right angle to pop it out. I spent about an hour trying to get it back together but couldn't figure it out. I tried putting the race in the casing with the bearings in it but I couldn't get the shaft seated in the casing. I also tried "building" the race around the shaft and installing it into the casing but I couldn't hold all the bearings and slide it into the casing. I have a couple pics (sorry, flashlight with iPhone) and I was wondering if anyone had dealt with my specific bearing setup.

If I can't get it back together and feel comfortable with it, I'm just going to go with the one I'm getting ordered from O'Reilly's for $85.

Let me know if anyone has worked on this axle and has a description of how to put it back together.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.