SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey team,

Any one know where to find the Hub bearing removal and installation tool? I cant seem to find it anywhere in the US. It appears on EURO Ebay at 300+ dollars but it has to be available here as well.

Any one have any information?

·
Registered
135 Posts
You better off renting a wheel bearing kit from autozone or get a set from harborfreight for like $50. I did my bearing with just that.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The issue that I see is the dual ball bearings inside the bearing can damage the the bearing surface during installation.

For that I guess you have to get a tool that presses the bearing itself during install and not pressing the actual hub.

The kit I found and I keep finding is the following.
http://www.proparts.se/dokument/bibliotek/File/pdfkataloger/1210_VOLVO.pdf

http://www.proparts.se/en/artiklar/gen2-bearing-tool-kit.html

VOLVO S40, C30, V50, C70
78mm - Ford Focus II C-Max Volvo C30 C70 S40 V50 (Front) Mazda 3

Only problem is that i cant find it localy.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Considering the time/effort/$$$ involved in installing a new wheel bearing, have you found a good source for quality bearings that is reasonable? I ask because the cost differential between bearings and bearing/hub assemblies is fairly negible.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was planing to use FCPEuro.com parts since they have OEM ones for 120$/pc or also Rockauto.com has a few choices that are in the range of 60-100$.

My biggest fear having replaced them ones is damaging the bearing once again and starting from scratch again.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Considering the time/effort/$$$ involved in installing a new wheel bearing, have you found a good source for quality bearings that is reasonable? I ask because the cost differential between bearings and bearing/hub assemblies is fairly negible.
Correct. If you replace just the bearing there is no need for that special tool. You can press the bearing in the strut & then press in the hub while supporting the back of the bearing. I've considered going that route.

Only problem is that i cant find it locally.
Good luck finding anything locally.

I can't tell you how many people I've seen press it in incorrectly. What do you think happens to all the hubs that people bring into their local shop? "No problem, we have a press in the back." For the most part it usually works just fine with no ill affects. Just be sure to clean the strut bore thoroughly so the bearing slides in with minimal resistance. Choice is yours. It's good to see someone trying to do the right thing.
The other thing you should do is check for the water shield on the CV. If you buy a Volvo hub you will get the two shield styles in the box.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
You've confused me... do you mean you need to press the front hub assembly into the bottom of the strut?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just ponied up and had the dealer do mine. Lifetime warranty so if it ever needs to be replaced again... its free.
What is the cost at doing it at the dealer???

I was debating on going that way as well but not sure.

Also I am wondering, do the local dealers go through the trouble to install it with the tools or do they just do them on the hydraulic press just like all others.

I replaced both of mine within a few months time span, both went bad again within miles of driving on the new ones.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok got off the phone with the dealer, they said 1100$ installed at 3.9hrs of labor and parts. just over 300$/side for the hub part, that's 600 for both and about 120$/hr labor, so thats 480, so spot on at 1100$ replacement.

Car is at about 5000$ value, so i guess im going to be doing it myself again. Even if i have to buy a 300$ tool from Europe.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
You've confused me... do you mean you need to press the front hub assembly into the bottom of the strut?
My bad, holdover from my Audi days where it's all one piece...

Remove old wheel bearing from hub & knuckle.
Press new bearing into knuckle using outer edge of bearing.
Press hub into new bearing/knuckle while supporting inner edge of bearing.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My bad, holdover from my Audi days where it's all one piece...

Remove old wheel bearing from hub & knuckle.
Press new bearing into knuckle using outer edge of bearing.
Press hub into new bearing/knuckle while supporting inner edge of bearing.
Thats all clear but I cant seem to find hubs and bearings separate for our cars, However I can find them for the Ford Focus from about 2011 and up. They seem to also be 36 spline hubs and exact same as our cars. That may be the only option.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Right, I honestly don't know where to source any either. I'm sure it's a standard size & probably easy to source but you'll have to get one exposed so you can read the numbers off of it. Anyone have an old front hub/bearing laying about?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
VOLVO S40, C30, V50, C70
78mm - Ford Focus II C-Max Volvo C30 C70 S40 V50 (Front) Mazda 3

Only problem is that i cant find it localy.
Have you called FCP Euro? They carry most of the Pro Parts (Sweden) line.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I replaced both of mine within a few months time span, both went bad again within miles of driving on the new ones.
Which brand, may I ask, did you use? And, did you replace just the bearing or the whole hub assembly? If you look at rockauto, you can get a hub/bearing assembly for around $35 (1 year waranty) - $150 (3 year waranty). Personally, I think 10 years on a OEM hub is a pretty poor lifespan so I'm not opposed to going the cheap route.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I haven't needed to do the v50, but I just replaced the wheel bearing on my wife's VW jetta this past weeked. Looks like the procedure is pretty similar. I picked up the harbor freight fwd bearing press tool and it made the job pretty easy. Hardest part was getting the hub assembly off- I spent about an hour with a 2lb slide hammer before I gave up and got a 5lb slide hammer from Napa tool rental. Took 3 blows to pop the hub off.

Cutting the bearing inner race off the hub I thought would be a pain, but it actually went pretty quick with no nicks to the hub. Once all cleaned up, the new bearing went on easy and I used a smaller plate (to only load the inner race) as pczeilon mentions to press the hub back on once the bearing is in the knuckle.

Total cost, bearing, axle nut and snap ring $30, tool $80 and a couple hours effort. Firestone wanted $430 to do the bearing. Now I've got the tools, next time will only cost $30 and take half as long. Well worth it to learn a new skill and buy a new tool all while saving a significant amount of $$$

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Which brand, may I ask, did you use? And, did you replace just the bearing or the whole hub assembly? If you look at rockauto, you can get a hub/bearing assembly for around $35 (1 year waranty) - $150 (3 year waranty). Personally, I think 10 years on a OEM hub is a pretty poor lifespan so I'm not opposed to going the cheap route.
I used detroit axle, they are local, i was able to pick up the 2 hubs for 35$ each, which i thought was good.
They didnt last thats for sure! Only thing is i had bad tires at the time so it was hard to tell if there was improvement and once the tires were replaced it was clear that its the hubs again. UGHH!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts