SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I.m a brand new Volvo V70 owner (2004 model) and therefore a new member of this Volvo communnity. I bought the car from a friend who did actually tell me that the radio/CD (HU803) was not working. Being of a moderately technical nature I assumed that I would soon track this problem. Alas, not to be.
I have had the unit out of the centre consul and have only been able to confirm the following:

1) There are no lights on the radio panel.
2) There is absolutely no signs of life from the HU803
3. There is 12Volts showing between Ground and the red wire on the green plug to the rear.
4 The Brown wire on the same plug appears to be the Ground connection

Questions

1. Is this telling me that the HU803 is cream crackered
2 What are the two heavy grey wires that go the back of the Hu803

Hope someone out there can give me a steer and avoid me wasting further time as it's bloody cold in my driveway and I don't want to spend any more time tinkering unnecessarily.

Many thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I have had the unit out of the centre consul and have only been able to confirm the following:

1) There are no lights on the radio panel.
2) There is absolutely no signs of life from the HU803
3. There is 12Volts showing between Ground and the red wire on the green plug to the rear.
4 The Brown wire on the same plug appears to be the Ground connection

Questions

1. Is this telling me that the HU803 is cream crackered
2 What are the two heavy grey wires that go the back of the Hu803
Sounds like it is dead to me; but double check your accessory power fuse first.
Your sleuthing is correct: Red is the battery wire, so you are getting power. The switched power line is the thin purple one (aka accessory power). Brown is the ground.

The two big grey wires are for the center speaker in the dash.

Best bet is to just find a used one, and swap it out. They go for $100ish in the classifieds section. Just make sure to get on from a 04 so that the color matches your dash (01-03 are a lighter grey).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. When you say "check the accessory fuse" - Do you mean the the cigarette lighter unit or do you mean something else when you say accessory. It may be significant but the cigarette lighter sockets are not working either.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All fuses check out OK. If I remove the unit and put 12volts across the red and the brown wired, should I see some signs of life or not ?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
John,

It is also dependent on the accessory power ( purple wire in harness ) for switching on.
But with just the battery power alone, you should hear the cd mechanism cycle when the power is first connected. If there is no sound at all, then you can conclude that it is truly dead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I've finally sussed it out having spent the last couple of freezing days messing with the beast.
The problem with the radio (HU803), the cigarette lighter sockets and as it turned out, the headlight height adjusters, were all related to a bad contact on relay 2/30 (see attached thread). This relay board was well buried above the drivers side footwell (See P139, caption 2/101) and was only just accessible enough to get my fingers on it, pull it out and push it cleanly back in.....Hallelujah., all three functions now working.
The nagging noise from the passenger seat has now also disappeared simply by turning up the loud button on the radio....truly amazing.

Thanks to all for their advice.

Regards to all Volvo drivers

John

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/downloads/2002_V70.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts