SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... is this normal??? My radio faceplate gets very hot to the touch playing the radio at a very normal volume in a short anount of time.<p>If some of you recall, I had my head unit swapped out due to a factory defect and don't really remember the heat issue with the first one ... could I have another defective unit that is defective in some other way (the original switched modes all by itself randomly)?<p>Lastly, I notice when I use the "Fader" and switch the sound all the way to the rear speakers only, the volume decreases by almost 2 thirds (in other words, with the radio at a normal volume, the switch to rear only makes the radio almost non-hearable). Is this normal??? I have read on here about rear speakers being blown ... I have NEVER really driven this system that hard. Once again, don't remember this being an issue before my head unit swap. The original unit seemed to "sound" better than it's replacement. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: HU-850 radio faceplate is HOT! ... (Quick Brick)

Mine usually gets warm/hot after 30-60 min of it being on. But its not so hot that I can't touch it. <p>As for the fader, the volume should stay the same in the rear speakers. Sit in the back after you play with the fader to see if it actually decreases in volume.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: HU-850 radio faceplate is HOT! ... (tRio)

Thanx ... what I did notice is that the rear speaker condition is really terrible (as I explained) in FM mode with the Dolby PLII in "ON". If I turn the PLII to "OFF" the rear speakers increase in volume. Is the PLII only menat to be used with CDs maybe??? If it is operating correctly, it sucks.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Quick Brick</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanx ... what I did notice is that the rear speaker condition is really terrible (as I explained) in FM mode with the Dolby PLII in "ON". If I turn the PLII to "OFF" the rear speakers increase in volume. Is the PLII only menat to be used with CDs maybe??? If it is operating correctly, it sucks.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Mine is the same way. PLII on the radio is awful and quiet. It seems like it's only to be used for CD's. <p>But no matter. If you have PLII set as your mode for CD's, then change to FM and select 3-Channel, then select AM and select off, the radio will remember your setting when you change modes. I have it set up this way and never have to hit the buttons any more.<p>

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: HU-850 radio faceplate is HOT! ... (needsdecaf)

I use the OFF setting, and all of my transmissions sound much better than 3chanel and PL11.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Quick Brick</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanx ... what I did notice is that the rear speaker condition is really terrible (as I explained) in FM mode with the Dolby PLII in "ON". If I turn the PLII to "OFF" the rear speakers increase in volume. Is the PLII only menat to be used with CDs maybe??? If it is operating correctly, it sucks.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Prologic (and I assume PLII) is surround sound - so only "surround" (aka out-of-phase) sound will be played through the rear speakers in that mode. So yes, in PL2, the rears will always be much quieter than the other modes, which just "mirror" the 2 channels, same as the fronts, as you'd expect in any other car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
try to dim your interior illumination. It should be by a rheostat next to the light switch. Set it to low and see if HU gets hot anyway. At least you can see if the heat comes from the bulbs inside the HU.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Just run the A/C alot.. I did a road trip to St. Louis last week adn had the A/C on most of the way. When I would reach intothe side pocket fo rmy cell phone it would feel like it was sitting in a bag of ice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts