SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I believe the HU-850 in my 2005 S60R has finally given out.
When I purchased the car, it had issues with non-functional Volume knob. Then I got this weird condition where it would switch back and forth from inputs. (switching randomly b/w AM, FM, & CD)
Now I have lost all audio for all intended purposes. I get this loud popping noise, with intermittent/extremely loud audio of whatever radio station it is on. I cannot control the volume using the knob on the head unit, nor the steering wheel.
The noise seems to be coming from the right hand speakers.
I've done a little research on this already, and it looks like the most painless option is to install a new HU-850.

Any trouble shooting I should try before sourcing a used HU-850 and replacing?

Here ( https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?128247-2007-S60R-HU-850-Radio-Removal-(illustrated) ) is a post that sort of explains the process for a GT, anything to be wary about with an MT?

Very interested if anyone has updated feedback since the thread mentioned in the line above, which was created in 2014..

Thanks and happy dRiving to all!

·
Registered
17,607 Posts
Let me know if you find a retailer that can fix them or if you find a solid one for sale.
I may need one at some point.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me know if you find a retailer that can fix them or if you find a solid one for sale.
Will do. The guy who I am getting it from actually has 2 for sale.
Are you experiencing any of the symptoms that indicate yours is going faulty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Your radio is done, there is nothing you can do about it. I could help you with the volume knob but that has nothing to do with the radio malfunctioning.
I don't know if this will make you feel better but most of them have failed by now!
Consider aftermarket.
For close to what you will pay for a good, working used HU850, for a little more you can buy a excellent double DIN radio that has all modern features.
Unless someone has recently come out with a 5:1 head unit, you will lose the center channel, but you will gain just about everything else including NAV.. if you want it!
Go to www.crutchfield.com for some examples...all price ranges, all features

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
There is one here in PA that fixes all factory radios but for what they probably charge it may not be worth it.
If you're interested I need to make a call as I forget their name, been a long time since I used them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Consider aftermarket.
Hmm wasn't considering aftermarket because of the 5:1 thing, but you bring up some good points.
The other reason I was thinking of going the factory route is that I have never installed an aftermarket radio before. So I figured a drop in/plug and play HU 850 might be my best bet.
For those double din head units, is it safe to assume I will need to mess with some of the wiring/harness and get a new dashboard/mounting kit that deletes the little slot for (..?, LOL) next to the radio?

·
Registered
17,607 Posts
Awful looking. If we can we should stay with hu850.
Hmm wasn't considering aftermarket because of the 5:1 thing, but you bring up some good points.
The other reason I was thinking of going the factory route is that I have never installed an aftermarket radio before. So I figured a drop in/plug and play HU 850 might be my best bet.
For those double din head units, is it safe to assume I will need to mess with some of the wiring/harness and get a new dashboard/mounting kit that deletes the little slot for (..?, LOL) next to the radio?

·
Registered
17,607 Posts
You can try for giggles. I have volume knob issues sometimes and the selector knob is quirky (can't easily get to aux but can get back with FM button).
There is one here in PA that fixes all factory radios but for what they probably charge it may not be worth it.
If you're interested I need to make a call as I forget their name, been a long time since I used them.

·
Registered
17,607 Posts
As mentioned in reply to JRL...vol is quirky and so is selector.
Will do. The guy who I am getting it from actually has 2 for sale.
Are you experiencing any of the symptoms that indicate yours is going faulty?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awful looking. If we can we should stay with hu850.

I'm really with you. Plus this guy is letting them go pretty cheap.
The extra HU850 for you is fully functioning from a 95K mile R. Price is great but not disclosing that directly on here.
PMd

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a refurb hu-850 from a seller oemcaraudio on ebay in 2018. Refurb worked perfectly.
Remember how much it cost?

·
Registered
12 Posts
it was about 300 bucks. Seems expensive but I wanted to keep it stock and they had a warranty which I couldn't get from a private party or junk yard pull. They have a repair service where they will repair the unit for 116 bucks with 24 hour turnaround for CD changer issues.

·
Registered
573 Posts
All symptoms described are common and can be fixed permanently for about 6 bucks.

1. Buy some contact cleaner. It cannot contain silicon. I use GC ELECTRONICS De-Ox-Id.

2. Remove head unit from car THEN remove the faceplate from headunit THEN spray in / behind all knob contacts.

3. Must vigorously work the contact cleaner into the switches by simply activating/turning etc. Surprising how well this works when done thoroughly. You only get 50-70% of issues fixed if done 1/2 azzed. Had to do it 3x on my current HU

4. Dry completely - use canned air - THEN reinstall.

ENYOY

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All symptoms described are common and can be fixed permanently for about 6 bucks.

1. Buy some contact cleaner. It cannot contain silicon. I use GC ELECTRONICS De-Ox-Id.

2. Remove head unit from car THEN remove the faceplate from headunit THEN spray in / behind all knob contacts.

3. Must vigorously work the contact cleaner into the switches by simply activating/turning etc. Surprising how well this works when done thoroughly. You only get 50-70% of issues fixed if done 1/2 azzed. Had to do it 3x on my current HU

4. Dry completely - use canned air - THEN reinstall.

ENYOY
This is what I've been looking for! Thank you.

What contacts usually are responsible for the issues mentioned? Pics if possible would be massively helpful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts