SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I could buy a used one for $400. I'm also considering aftermarket, though.

I need help from you mobile auto enthusiasts: What are my needed criteria?

How many pre-amp outputs do I really need?
What's the best wire hook-up kit for the S60R?
What's the best install kit?

I'm 15 years out of the scene of mobile audio, so I'd appreciate the help.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I pay $150 or less for used ones.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Seriously, I agree with JRL on this one.

I wouldn't pay $400 for a used HU-850.

If you don't need video $400 will get you a nice aftermarket deck with everything you need to install it.

The Metra Dash kit will do single or double din.

Metra Volvo antenna adaptor.

Metra access steering wheel control adaptor.

Stay far away from the eBay amp integration harness, it's a cheap pile ****. Mine broke before I could even get it back in the dash.

This is the harness you want:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/ARH-VOL.html

It's more expensive but it works, so it's not a waste of money.

I have the top of the line Kenwood Excelon single din audio only deck from a couple of years ago. Digital time alignment, sub level, low and high pass filters, blue tooth phone, I pod control. 3 sets of 4 volt pre outs so you can add a 4 channel amp on the mids and highs, and a sub amp on the lows.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You can find them around the $150 with some searching. Sometimes even less :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where do you buy them? On eBay right now, I can't find one for under $350 in the US.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I find an OEM in good condition and good price, I'm concerned about it's condition inside... this is one thing that holds me back from spending $300 on eBay for one.

If I go aftermarket:
I just want to utilize the existing speaker system - Am I going to have troubles here? Is the external amplifier still used?
Will my backup sensors be retained?
Will my navigation system still be functional (I don't use it, but if I ever sell this car, it'd be nice if it were functional)

I don't want to add in additional amps, a sub, change speakers. I just want to install a head unit, keep steering wheel control and backup sensors, and have it sound nice and add bluetooth capability via android.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
You can find them around the $150 with some searching. Sometimes even less :)
Where do you buy them? On eBay right now, I can't find one for under $350 in the US.
+1

Start a Want-to-Buy (WTB) thread in the classifieds for fellow Swedespeeder to help. It worked for me. I had several leads and eventually sourced a used one. It took a couple weeks, so some patience might be necessary. The seller met me in a convenient location and I hooked it up to my R to verify it worked OK. It did and I was on my way a short time later after we chatted R's and life a bit.

Or reach out directly to JRL; he sometimes has one sitting on the shelf.

Another hint: When disassembling the center console, HVAC, and head unit, do not disconnect the HVAC controls without first disconnecting the battery. I made that mistake and had a fault display when I connected everything back together.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If you are keeping the R for a while then to me it makes more sense to go aftermarket. Once you convert everything over to put in a single din aftermarket headunit, you can simply replace your Aftermarket Headunit with a new one if it ever fails. $250-$300 gets you a high end unit that is brand new each time.

VS replacing it with another used HU 850 that will all eventually go bad. They have a bunch of different ways to go bad, and eventually they all seem to go bad. The Head unit in my black car had several different things wrong with it.

You can keep steering wheel controls with the right interface, I lost the back up sensors in my car, and you will probably loose nav. as well, but I think there are people that have wired around that I believe.

I kept my factory amp, and all the factory speakers with the amp integration kit. You can also keep the center channel speaker if you want, I plan to get rid of mine so I did not wire it up.

You will want a deck that at least has 3 sets of pre outs, the front and rear plug into the amp integration harness and the 3rd set will be for a sub.

Wiring up the factory amp is easy. You plug four RCA's into the back of the new deck, and a couple wires for amp turn on ect.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, I appreciate everyone's input.

I've moved forward with buying aftermarket. Here's the list:

Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS
CRUX SWRVL-54
Metra 40-VL10 Antenna adapter
MicroBypass In-Motion interface for AVH-X
Scosche VO4152B Install Kit
ARH-VOL Amplifier Retention Harness (necessary for R's with the HU-850)
Esky EC170-11 Camera

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am not certain what the deal is with the factory amp. It sounds pretty OK to me, and you might be able to make it work OK with an adapter cable/etc.

This thing, if you have the under seat unit. The only reason I don't go aftermarket in mine is the backup sensors.

Also, you probably need to jumper the CAN bus. Not certain what that entails - maybe other posters on here can comment.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not certain what the deal is with the factory amp. It sounds pretty OK to me, and you might be able to make it work OK with an adapter cable/etc.

This thing, if you have the under seat unit. The only reason I don't go aftermarket in mine is the backup sensors.

Also, you probably need to jumper the CAN bus. Not certain what that entails - maybe other posters on here can comment.
Ordered the adapter from that site. Missed that in one of the previous posts. Thanks for the reminder.
Jumpering the CANBUS on the HU is just shorting the wires on the adapter. Should be easy enough.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Got mine for $40 from a local swedespeeder

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not to contradict your aftermarket plans but I've got an 850 for sale, in my sig from my 05 SR
I appreciate it, I just can't trust one. I do avionics circuit card design and packaging and it's fairly apparent there's a poor design with respect to the thermal dissipation of some FET's in these units and the lack of long term reliability. Any unit will be suspect to failing.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I appreciate it, I just can't trust one. I do avionics circuit card design and packaging and it's fairly apparent there's a poor design with respect to the thermal dissipation of some FET's in these units and the lack of long term reliability. Any unit will be suspect to failing.
You should be able to just rework your 850. IIRC it's just an issue with dry solder on the chips.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It's a heat issue if I read Jojo right. It will unsolder itself and/or detonate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You should be able to just rework your 850. IIRC it's just an issue with dry solder on the chips.
I wish it were that easy. Mine is literally toast. My power mosfet section of my board is a dark brown bubble on the pwb.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts