SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently acquired a 2004 V70R with premium sound system (HU-803) featuring pro logic surround sound. However, 2 new surround sound CD’s at Best Buy wouldn’t play, and another that I know works perfectly on an Acura TL surround system also won’t<br>play. Service rep says he has had other customers complain about the<br>same thing; that it’s a VOLVO “software” thing. Apparently it is not<br>compatible with certain commercial products. According to Tower Records there are 3 types of commercial surround sound music CD's (or DVD audio): Most are DTS 5:1, then superaudio, and duel disk (hybrid). <p>Does the HU-803 play anything beside "regular" 2-channel stereo CD's? They seem to work fine on my player, either commercial or burned on my computer.<p>If surround sound CD's work, which formats should it take. I assume there's nothing wrong with my player but have not to confirm after initial response by dealer service rep. Thanks!<br>

·
Registered
348 Posts
Re: HU-803 wont take surround sound CD's! (denali)

dont know if this helps, but I bought a couple of cds that were music cd on one side and DVD on the other side. Neither one played in my HU-613. I think it has something to do with the thickness of the cd. Granted that is only 2 channel though.

·
Registered
872 Posts

I dont think the 803 will play dvd audio or super audio cds. The TLs cd player is designed to take dvd-a discs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: HU-803 wont take surround sound CD's! (minorthr)

Sorry to hear that. Hope you're wrong but I suspect not. So, is there a way to upgrade the hardware in order to play DVD audio?<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by denali at 11:06 AM 4-28-2006</i>

·
Registered
872 Posts

The only way I can think of is buying a new radio that does play them. I did a really quick search on cruthfield and didnt come up with any though. DVD audio and super audio Cds are more of a home audio thing. There are some cars like the TL that play them but not many.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: HU-803 wont take surround sound CD's! (minorthr)

Nothing on Ebay either. I suspect the Acura ELS system by Panasonic is the only automotive system at the moment playing DVD-audio discs. Apparently it is not available commerically other than with Acura. Car audio just needs to catch up with all thats available for the home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts