SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just installed 4 aftermarket Rockford speakers today with a 4 channel powerbass amp
I have an hu-803 coming in and was wondering if the center speaker is able to be put in at the same time, and if I'll need anything other than the volvo part 3533909, as in a grille/mount or anything to put the center speaker in.
Also was wondering if the center speaker would even work without the oem, under-passenger seat amp, but I'm assuming it'll work with an aftermarket amp.

Lastly, when putting in the hu-803 from an hu-603, will the steering controls work?

Thanks

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
Needs to be same year as the car, center speaker plugs in to the harness and will be powered off the HU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Needs to be same year as the car, center speaker plugs in to the harness and will be powered off the HU

Does it need a special plug/harness? Or does the 803 come with it? I saw someone else say that the speaker was plugged into the external amp with a special harness, but makes more sense that it's the HU connection.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reading more, I see that the 803 lacks an internal amp? So I'm guessing I'll have to pick up the PA300 amp to power it as well...?

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
803 needs a separate amp. Center channel just plugs into the car harness.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, anyone have input on the Pa-200 vs Pa-300? Roughly the same?

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Awesome, anyone have input on the Pa-200 vs Pa-300? Roughly the same?
PA-200 is 200W and PA-300 is 300W. Otherwise, the same as far as I know. PA-300s seem more plentiful than the PA-200s.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Reading more, I see that the 803 lacks an internal amp? So I'm guessing I'll have to pick up the PA300 amp to power it as well...?
The HU803 lacks an internal amp for the 4 main channels. The HU does power the center speaker.

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
You'll need a harness for the amp either way you go about it. Same for S80 as S60/V70 conveniently. I have a spare PA300 from an 04 S60R if you wanted to try one dirt cheap.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You'll need a harness for the amp either way you go about it. Same for S80 as S60/V70 conveniently. I have a spare PA300 from an 04 S60R if you wanted to try one dirt cheap.
Yea just throw it in with the coils when you get a chance and send me a total, no rush though the installer about bankrupted me today

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
Yea just throw it in with the coils when you get a chance and send me a total, no rush though the installer about bankrupted me today

Sure. Was gonna ship it tomorrow. PM me your address

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The HU803 lacks an internal amp for the 4 main channels. The HU does power the center speaker.
Alright, so when I install the 803 with the under seat amp it should just work inline with the external amp I’ve already added? Or will it be too much for the speakers with 2 amps

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Alright, so when I install the 803 with the under seat amp it should just work inline with the external amp I’ve already added? Or will it be too much for the speakers with 2 amps

Your new external amp should ideally be wired to the pre-amp outputs of the 803. Those are the same outputs the OEM under seat amp uses. You would not connect the two amps in series. You may have to modify the OEM HU to amp harness to mate up to an aftermarket amp.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Your new external amp should ideally be wired to the pre-amp outputs of the 803. Those are the same outputs the OEM under seat amp uses. You would not connect the two amps in series. You may have to modify the OEM HU to amp harness to mate up to an aftermarket amp.
Thanks a lot. He installed a 4 channel line converter and a digital capacitor as well to the speakers and amp. Not really sure how it's all in there, as I can't find the amp or anything, they hid it rather well. I'll have to call em up and see if that's something I'd be able to do myself.
Edit: looked up how line converters and capacitors work, and definitely NOT something I'm going to be doing myself. Soldering is not in my repertoire. I'm more of a software guy.
@exocet: you ever been to performance autosport? Seems like a dude you'd get along with that owns the spot. Lotta trucks there but the gals working there all complimented the wagon ;)

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I've been there once or twice. Got some 8 gauge wire from them once.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Ask Crutchfield.
I think they sell a harness for an aftermarket amp to work with a Volvo HU
Plug and play without hacking up the stock wiring

1 - 16 of 16 Posts