SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the optional 803 sound system with the T5? Is it that big of an improvement to warrant the $1200(providing of course that one really enjoys music, not talk radio)?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Frankly, the HU-803 with 9 speakers is more than adequate for music (even for the audiophile). I use the 3 channel stereo for news or stereo/pro-logic for surround effect in music. Even with a built in TV, the 9 speakers are adequate. Please, the cabin size is not the equivalent of a living room where you require a high end sound system.

$1200 extra for the high end system? Save the money and upgrade your home system unless you spend long hours on the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean by the HU-803 with 9 speakers? I thought my choices were the HU-613 with 8 speakers and one-disc CD that's optional on the 2.4T or standard on the T5, or to upgrade the T5 to the HU-803 with 4 disc in dash changer and 13 Harman Kardon Speakers with the Dolby ProLogic. Sounds like you have different options available maybe?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Whatever you decide, if you don't get a trunk changer w/the car. Don't forget to take advanatge of the AOL deal and get your free 10-disc changer (among other goodies).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen the AOL deal mentioned elsewhere. Does anyone have a link to the actual details of the offer? Or do I just have to join and go to the revolvolution website and build my S60? Anybody know how long the offer lasts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, that was the biggest fiasco I've had in a while. I have RoadRunner Cable modem, so I whipped down the AOL software in a minute or so, installed it, restarted, and $%%##! It caused my computer to crash 4 times. It hasn't crashed EVER with WindowsMe. I couldn't get it to load ANY web page, much less revolvolution. I guess I'll have to do without the free goodies, that kind of crap isn't worth it. I'm not sure how or why people continue to use AOL, I'd just throw away my computer if that was my only choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The best way to get the AOL offer without the fuss of loading AOL is, signup via their web site for an account. Don't download the software (hate it), go to a friend that has the software and log in as yourself. I too had nightmares with the software and it took me 3 hours to get my system back and functional. As for time frame, the certificate I printed out after I "built my S60" stated an expiration of March 15th, however, I do not know if AOL is still allowing users to generate this unique certificate. Also, there is some gray area surrounding the 3/15 date. Some dealers stated that the car has to be delivered by the date (not ordered). According to AOL, they told me that they would judge each request differently and that may or maynot be true. My car is being delivered 4/10 and my dealer has promised me the options.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
bjoye,

If you can find a way to signup for an AOL account and print out the certificate, it will be well worth the time! The 10-disc CD changer alone is worth the trouble.

AOL Members get up to $2,100 in Free Accessories. The complimentary AOL Member Package includes your choice of 6 of the 10 accessories below...

10-CD Changer
Premium Shelf Speakers
Luggage Compartment Mat
Roof Crossbars
Mobile PC Table
Fist Aid Kit
Rear Armrest Table
Rear Window Sunblind
Rear Mudflaps
Snowchains

-Drew

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with the "web-site" suggestion. I downloaded the software, loaded AOL, printed my certificate and cancelled, all within about 1 hour. This is the one and only time I have been happy with AOL. It was actually nice taking advantage of them for once instead of vice-versa.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How are the roof crossbars and rear sunblind? I was thinking the
10-CD Changer
Premium Shelf Speakers
Luggage Compartment Mat
Fist Aid Kit
Rear Window Sunblind
Rear Mudflaps
Thanks for the AOL tip! Unfortunately I DO have several friends who use AOL. Poor souls.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I can't comment on the cross-bars. But as to the fit and finish of the sun-shade and the rear-deck speakers they are top-notch.
Without a doubt, get the rear sunshade. And make sure, if you're going for the rear deck speakers, that you remind the dealer to order the grills (no cost to you).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tom-
In your edited post you commented on the rear table. Before ordering the table you may want to read through the threads under the heading "anyone else take advantage of the AOL offer" posted by me back in December. Reason being...someone had ordered the table and I think their comment on it was something like..."a real piece of sh*t" Might want to take a look

[This message has been edited by ch7656 (edited 02-26-2001).]

·
Registered
528 Posts
Back to the original question....

I have the 613 in my V70T5, and for me it really lacks the quality sound I'm used to in my cars. Not enough power, not enough highs or lows. It just sounds, uh, "stock." I didn't want to spring for the extra cash either, figuring I'll upgrade it with aftermarket goodies eventually.

- Darell

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the HU 803, and it is great. CD sound quality is great, and the in dash changer is a delight. My only complaint would be that when listening to talk or news radio, I occasionally get a slight buzzing in the bass range of the announcer's voice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts