SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hu-803 is dying. Sometimes the screen is there other times not, sometimes it's garbled and I can't read the station. Cd's won't read, eject or play. Volvo sourced a new one for my V70R from LA and I'm getting it put in today. Question is are all the HU-803 the same? I have the upgraded stereo and NAV so do I assume the Hu-803 they ordered is correct for my specific vehicle build?

Thanks!

Shroom

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
700 dollars give or take for a brand new one. Haven't seen the bill yet, but it's worth every penny to me...That car has the best sound system in any car I have ever had to date including My BMW M cars. I miss the music and radio so bad I'd pay anything :p! ! I just can't do aftermarket units in my cars...looks cheesy and chopped up to me...I much prefer the stock look keeping all my cars totally stock whenever possible. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
The Nav just daisy chains onto the 803.
The amp is just an add on located under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you installing the new 803 or is the dealer installing for you?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
! I just can't do aftermarket units in my cars...looks cheesy and chopped up to me...I much prefer the stock look keeping all my cars totally stock whenever possible. I'll let you know how it goes.
+1 and thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok, installing it is not too tuff, but software needs to be loaded/initialized before the steering wheel controls will talk to the new head unit.

I did the same thing several years ago with my old S60

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ok, installing it is not too tuff, but software needs to be loaded/initialized before the steering wheel controls will talk to the new head unit.

I did the same thing several years ago with my old S60
My HU850 fired right up and worked with the nav and steering controls with no issues. May be different for the HU803 I guess

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Could have saved a lot of dough buying a used unit from a dismantler or someone who is upgrading their system and getting rid of their factory unit, there is no way I'd spend that much money for an OEM part like a radio.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the "New" hu-803 installed is refurbished. 550.00 for the unit plus instal and an AUM update (whatever that is). I can see the wear marks from the previous owner where he turned the knobs which bugs me as its a lot more wear than mine. I'd rather just have them refurb mine and have that refinished and returned! Instead it ooks like they want to take my old and refinish it then sell it. Anyhow I suppose why I didn't source it myself through other channels for cheaper was I didn't want to end up with a unit that was going to fail on me in a week or didn't work once i installed it. Rather have Volvo unit that at least has some guarantee if it goes belly up in 6 months I can bring it back in. Looks there are no NEW units out there just refinished ones. I called the dealership and told them to save my unit...no sense giving it to Volvo to resell. We will see what they say.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Some dismantlers like Erie will give you a lifetime warranty on the parts they sell, which would eliminate your concern about the replacement unit biting the dust.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that's really useful thanks MtnBik3R!! I'll ask and yeah I'll be sending my unit back for a decent one or better yet have them fix mine!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Have your old radio face/cover put on the new working unit. The cover comes off without too much problem. I've done this when I've gotten a crappy radio face. Glück.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, theres a great idea. It would be hilarious if they said that voided the lifetime parts warranty! I'll see if I can do that with the cover. Great info!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Some of the vendors make rings that go over the knobs on the factory radio, you might be able to to use those to cover up the wear on the knobs.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So I went to get my original hu-803 radio from the dealer today that was originally in my car and they wouldn't give it back to me...they wanted 300.00 for my old hu-803 unit just removed from my vehicle. I politely told them that that radio was my property and that I own the car outright and have since 2004..its not a lease. He said that I had agreed to a swap ( which I had not and will review the paperwork) and that he is charged 300.00 for the core. Now, If I had received the refurbished unit for free as a swap for my broken unit then I could understand his argument about being charged, but I payed 550.00 for the refurbished unit and he on top of that wanted me to pay 300.00 for my unit back that was removed. How does that make any sense. So with my property being held hostage effectively, I payed the 300.00 for my unit back because they were going to ship it off if I didn't, even though it isn't their property. Arguing the point without my unit anymore didn't make sense. Now i get to do battle with the dealership to get my money back after the holidays.

Can anyone weigh in on how screwed up that is? It's part of my orig car and I should be able to keep it free of charge like any other piece of property off the car right?:mad:

Shroom

1 - 20 of 24 Posts