SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am wanting to upgrade my 613 with an 803. I am replacing all the speakers and adding an aftermarket amp with a plugin for my mp3/iphone for extra music. Through this forum, I have found that the plugin for the mp3/iphone goes into the cd changer socket. A few questions...What speakers will fit and sound good, Will the head unit control the plugin, how to hook up the center dash speaker from the head unit? I looked at a diagram and it looks like the wiring harness I must get to go to the amp can control the power as well or, should I run a dedicated power line to the amp. I am sure most of this has been covered before. I am new and still learning my way around. Thanks to all! BTY my head unit does not like cds and I don't own tapes anymore
One more question. After install, do I need to download anything from the dealer to make the new unit compatible?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Hi Sid, I replied to your email, but here is the info again just in case:

The wiring for the centre speaker is already present, it is a grey foam padded cable. The 803 has a built-in amplifier for the centre speaker. Simply connect the grey plug into the speaker and the head unit.
You need an 8 Ohm speaker for it to work. I use mine in stereo mode 99% of the time anyways, I do not like the feel of the Dolby modes.

The 803 is a much better quality head unit than the 613, you will be pleased with the sound quality. I use mine with a an older Alpine amp, one channel for the front doors and one for the rear doors and rear shelf (combined).
If you are using the factory mounts in the doors for your tweeters, the sound is very nice, the location provides a very distinct stereo image. I put a a pair of 1" Neodymium tweeters into the factory mounting pockets, and they sound amazing.

**be aware that the factory wiring for the rear doors and shelf are in parallel, so the load doubles. i.e. 4 Ohm speakers in both places will get you a 2 Ohm load at the amp. The OE setup is 4 Ohm in the front doors and 8 Ohm in the rear doors and rear shelf, for a combined load of 4 Ohm at the amp for each channel. My advice if you are replacing all the speakers in the car, is to wire the rear parcel shelf seperately since it is easily accessible from the trunk. This way you can use 4 Ohm in all ocations with a 6 channel amp.

***Also, do NOT unplug your climate control module or you will trigger your airbag error light. Just place the CCM off to the side of the console, the wire harness is long enough for this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, you have helped me a lot. One question about the center dash speaker. There is not a speaker under the grill that was easy to remove, just made a simple heavy wire tool that looked like the Volvo tool, simple twist and pull. Can I use a speaker my car that I am removing? I think the shelf speakers are 8ohm or would it be better to order the inst panel speaker from Volvo/Tasca. Found the gray/gray red wire, it was attached to the fake speaker plate. I am only running a mosfet 300 amp w no sud at THIS time. The space from the tire housing to the tail lights looks attractive for a maybe an 8" sub. Thank-you again. I can't seem to find the page where I was able to post a thread to the community, that is why I have replied to your thread

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
If the speaker fits, sure, the under plate holds a 5 or 5 1/4 ish size speaker IIRC.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hu 803 swap

I have installed the hu 803 with no problems except one, very poor and weak FM reception, The hu 613 got great reception in my area. I found the grey speaker connect attached to the fake speaker under the grill and plugged it into the center speaker , then plugged the grey plug into the back of the hu and the center channel now works with the dolby. Does anybody have a suggestion as to what I have missed? I read somewhere the grey plug was for the antenna and elsewhere the grey plug was for the center speaker. I drove a day with only the center channel speaker hooked up, it reminded me of my grandfather's car with only the speaker in the dash.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
No detailed recollection of what unit I have but I have NEVER had great radio reception in mine. Now even the stations that were solid sometimes have issues. Tell me what you find out.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I have installed the hu 803 with no problems except one, very poor and weak FM reception, The hu 613 got great reception in my area. I found the grey speaker connect attached to the fake speaker under the grill and plugged it into the center speaker , then plugged the grey plug into the back of the hu and the center channel now works with the dolby. Does anybody have a suggestion as to what I have missed? I read somewhere the grey plug was for the antenna and elsewhere the grey plug was for the center speaker. I drove a day with only the center channel speaker hooked up, it reminded me of my grandfather's car with only the speaker in the dash.
the rectangular (almost square) grey plastic connector is the antenna - plug it in and it'll work fine
the center channel run off the wire harness, there is nothing to plug in at the HU side

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

When I installed the 803, I found that the center speaker worked after I plugged in the grey plug. I guess the plug powers the speaker and hooks up to the antenna. I found a grey/ grey w stripe wire plugged into the dummy speaker under the grill. This plug is what I plugged into the speaker to make it work. No amps used yet, just the 803. I have three sets of alpine speakers running from an alpine 300. Rolled off at 100hz. And a simple Rockford fosgate ps-8 150 rms attached and down firing from the rear shelf. I need to sandwich in a 1/2 inch plywood between thd metal shelf and the sub. Next week. Sound is very clean at any volume with any type of music The sub works as it should and I can adjust the gain with a simple remote.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
there are actually two grey plugs
The small one is the antenna, the big rectangular one is the speaker wires

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.