SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi...

When I bought the car all back-light in the center console including radio worked fine.

But now I am missing the light in the radio... The lights for the display is OK.
All the bulps for the buttons are NOT broken. I checked them with a small 9 volts power supply, and they are all able to light up.

The backlight in the climate control is still working perfect, and I notice the illumination are controlled by a wire in the connector, that will supply the button lights from 3-12 volts.

My question is for now: Is the back-light in the radio controlled by CAN BUS or is it a supported by a similar wire in the connector, as the climate control ?

Regards
Jørgensen
Denmark.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
HU 650s and HU 850s are all failing with regularity these days.
Not always the same thing. AM goes, FM goes, CD goes, lights go out, etc.

I had one like yours, it's really not fixable, try to find a good, used one

·
Registered
309 Posts
HU 650s and HU 850s are all failing with regularity these days.
Not always the same thing. AM goes, FM goes, CD goes, lights go out, etc.

I had one like yours, it's really not fixable, try to find a good, used one
+1
I got a used one on eBay for same symptoms.. Was surprised it was plug and play.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all.

Thanks for your comments. But no one actually answered my question.... :eek:

I phoned my Volvo pusher to day, and he told me that all backlights are controlled by the CAN BUS.
He also told me that its normal that you have to do a software update if you switch to another used/new radio.
So for those of you that just made a "swap" you where lucky.

I also ordered new bulps for 1 dollar each(14 volt 40mA) for the climate control, instead of new originals from Volvo like 10 dollars each. :cool:

For the missing ligt in radio, I will remove the anode of the bulps, and add a wirer for all of them, to connect to climate control...
Perhaps a strange way of doing the job, but good for now..... Hope it works.

Regards

Jørgensen
Denmark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts