SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,<P>I'm over here in Germany, and recently had a 2003 V40 as a loaner car while my 02 S40 was in the shop. I noticed that the HU-605 that was in the loaner car had text display capability for the local radio stations. Is there any way to enable this feature on the HU-615 models? Could it be just a software upgrade, or is it maybe a new feature for the 2003 models? Is it something the 605 can do, but the 615 cannot? Do any of the Volvo head units have a CD text capability?<P>Thanks<BR>norton37<BR>2K2 Atl Blue S40, 75th.

·
Super Moderator
39,215 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by norton37:<BR><B>Hi all,<P>I'm over here in Germany, and recently had a 2003 V40 as a loaner car while my 02 S40 was in the shop. I noticed that the HU-605 that was in the loaner car had text display capability for the local radio stations. Is there any way to enable this feature on the HU-615 models? Could it be just a software upgrade, or is it maybe a new feature for the 2003 models? Is it something the 605 can do, but the 615 cannot? Do any of the Volvo head units have a CD text capability?<P>Thanks<BR>norton37<BR>2K2 Atl Blue S40, 75th. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Without being an authority on this stuff, I would dare guess that, yes, it should. A couple of years ago, my wife and I had a US-specs 2000 S80 T6 and we used it to drive from Germany to Austria and back. The radio did display a lot of text messages (in single line only, whereas the 2003 S/V40 units should have the new larger facce audio) from different stations, commercials, traffic updates, etc.<P>So, I don't see why not but it all depends on the feedback and data that is out there.<P>Yannis<P><P>

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I have heard from a few people that the RTI system has been working on their cars here in the USA, particularly in the S80. Although, I have not heard of any of them being able to display CD text/CD-R text.<P>-Drew

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would have to agree. The RDS/TMC features on Volvo radios are so underutilized here in North America. Especially here in Vancouver where I am lucky to have one radio station that actually broadcast its call letters! <P>On the other hand, according to Melco, the CD mechanism is capable of displaying CD TEXT and playing CD-RW. (http://global.mitsubishielectric.com/bu/automotive/pdc/info/info_item/113/113.html)<BR>My HU-803 can do neither. I assume its up to Volvo to update the firmware to take advantage of these features since its available in the hardware. One feature I would like is an option for the RND to random play on a single disc as opposed to all four.<BR>

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
I get text messaging on 4 radio stations here in Los Angeles. It works great! Believe it or not, I'm also getting weather reports as well as stock quotes on my radio!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts