SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently took delivery of an S60 AWD with the Premium and Touring Packages. This car came with the HU-613 radio as part of the Premium Package. When we we purchasing the car, we had looked into upgrading the radio to an HU-803, but they wanted a huge amount of money for this upgrade (something like $1,000 for the radio and several hundred in "labor" for the install) and decided to pass on this and instead decided to wait and see how we liked the HU-613 radio once we got the car.
After having the car for a month, we think the HU-613 is "good", but not what I would call "great". The system could probably use a bit more "watts" of power and possibly some better main speakers. The speakers tend to "break-up" a little too easily at higher volumes and aren't as crisp as I had hoped for. Does anyone know if there are any upgrades available to an HU-613 system without moving up to the full HU-803 system. I am thinking about maybe just adding an additional amplifier to add some more "juice" to the system and perhaps upgrading just the door and rear shelf speakers. Is this something available through my dealer? I am not too keen on having an "audio store installer" rip apart the dash and doors of my brand new Volvo and most likely mess things up.

Any other thoughts or options?

Thanks.

Michael

·
Registered
66 Posts
No options... just a thought (a wish, actually).

I'm happy enough with the HU-613... but I'd be happier still if I could find a HU with an aux. audio jack... my iPod is lonely... and the cassette tape adapters I've tried make the sound all muffled and icky. And FM transmitters are even worse.

So, somebody, please... sell me a HU with an aux. audio jack that'll work with my '02 V70!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actually - replacing your head unit with a an aftermarket head unit is easy if you have the installation kit and know what to do!

You can Get the faceplate and harnesses from http://www.nexxia.co.uk - the parts seem to be made and sold only in the UK - this is the only online retailer that i found who is willing to sell the faceplate and harness to the US.

The faceplate and wiring harness
is made by a company called autoleads The faceplate is model number FP-10-04
The harness is model number PC2-71-4
The antenna adapter is model number PC5-89

The biggest thing that i know you need to remember to do is disconnect the battery from your car for 15 minutes before disconnecting the old stereo or the air conditioning controls. Again, your milage may vary - i make no guarentees that it'll work - so if you damage your car, it's your problem.

This is the same setup that I was posted to swedespeed a while back here in another post - http://www.astral.net/~patricia/stereo/installation.html
Mine's still not complete, but it's closer to complete than it was way back when.

Michael Evans was featured here in changing out his stereo too:
http://www.swedespeed.com/features/tech/multimedia_v70/index.htm

I've got a Kenwood X859 head unit, and a "kenwood music keg" mp3 jukebox. I have over 3 days worth of music in there.
It's great. I think it looks good too.
Although i've heard folks say that factory integrated stereo looks better than the aftermarket ones. That's all matter of opinion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by meinstei:
We recently took delivery of an S60 AWD with the Premium and Touring Packages. This car came with the HU-613 radio as part of the Premium Package. When we we purchasing the car, we had looked into upgrading the radio to an HU-803, but they wanted a huge amount of money for this upgrade (something like $1,000 for the radio and several hundred in "labor" for the install) and decided to pass on this and instead decided to wait and see how we liked the HU-613 radio once we got the car.
After having the car for a month, we think the HU-613 is "good", but not what I would call "great". The system could probably use a bit more "watts" of power and possibly some better main speakers. The speakers tend to "break-up" a little too easily at higher volumes and aren't as crisp as I had hoped for. Does anyone know if there are any upgrades available to an HU-613 system without moving up to the full HU-803 system. I am thinking about maybe just adding an additional amplifier to add some more "juice" to the system and perhaps upgrading just the door and rear shelf speakers. Is this something available through my dealer? I am not too keen on having an "audio store installer" rip apart the dash and doors of my brand new Volvo and most likely mess things up.

Any other thoughts or options?

Thanks.

Michael

Hi Michael!

An S60 can be configured according to the below from factory. All parts are availible as spareparts.

HU 413
Only with standard peakers, no amp Possible.

HU 613
Standard speakers, internal amp 4*25w
Upgrade speakers, ext. amp 4*50w

HU 803 (must have external amp)
Upgrade speakers ext amp 4*50w
High End speakers ext. amp. 4*75w (requieres a different doorpanel with a bigger speaker grille)

So in case ju don't have an amp. sitting under the front passenger seat today you can go to a volvo dealer an upgrade your system without any problem

·
Registered
66 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by trysha:
Actually - replacing your head unit with a an aftermarket head unit is easy if you have the installation kit and know what to do!

You can Get the faceplate and harnesses from http://www.nexxia.co.uk - the parts seem to be made and sold only in the UK - this is the only online retailer that i found who is willing to sell the faceplate and harness to the US.

The faceplate and wiring harness
is made by a company called autoleads The faceplate is model number FP-10-04
The harness is model number PC2-71-4
The antenna adapter is model number PC5-89

The biggest thing that i know you need to remember to do is disconnect the battery from your car for 15 minutes before disconnecting the old stereo or the air conditioning controls. Again, your milage may vary - i make no guarentees that it'll work - so if you damage your car, it's your problem.

This is the same setup that I was posted to swedespeed a while back here in another post - http://www.astral.net/~patricia/stereo/installation.html
Mine's still not complete, but it's closer to complete than it was way back when.

Michael Evans was featured here in changing out his stereo too:
http://www.swedespeed.com/features/tech/multimedia_v70/index.htm

I've got a Kenwood X859 head unit, and a "kenwood music keg" mp3 jukebox. I have over 3 days worth of music in there.
It's great. I think it looks good too.
Although i've heard folks say that factory integrated stereo looks better than the aftermarket ones. That's all matter of opinion.
Wow. That's excellent. I'm really impressed. And with a faceplate and harness... I think this is something that (even) I can do myself.

I can't really tell by the photo's... but how closely does the faceplate match the factory plastics in the rest of the car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks

The facia/head unit replacement was very easy, once you knew how.

The faceplate is close, but not perfect.
The factory air conditoner controls have a sharp edge near the trim. The facia has mildly rounded edges.

The color is close, i think it's just one shade darker. No one who has been in my car has been able to tell that it wasn't the factory unit.

Interestingly, that little cubby hole beneath the stereo is the perfect size for the remote. I thought it would be big enough for a CD, but i was wrong. It's wide enough, but not deep enough.

Of course, if volvo would put in a radio that was capable of taking some sort of (non volvo) aftermarket CD changer (kenwood, alpine, etc), then i would not have replaced it. The firmware download required at the dealership to activate an installed changer is the icing on the cake that irritates me.

It's all about profits i guess.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I decided to add an AMP to my HU-613 radio under the front seat, do I need to also upgrade the speakers? If so, how many of them need to be upgraded?

Michael

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I would recommend going with an external amp if you are currently just running off the internal to the headunit amp. Then listen to that for a week and see if you want to upgrade the speakers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Meinstei!

The speakers you currently have are not designed for the higher power that comes with the external amp.
As long as you know that it's good

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you know what the current HU-613 speakers are rated at?

Also, unless I totally crank with the new 4x50 amp to the MAX, will I be ok with my existing speakers from my HU-613? My hope is that it will give me a lot stronger/cleaner sound just by moving-up from the 4x25 amp that is built into the radio to the 4x50 external amp.

If I need to upgrade the speakers, then which speakers would I need to upgrade if I added the external Volvo AMP (The 4x50) to my HU-613 set-up? I count 11 speakers total in my car (I think). Three on each front door, 1 on each rear door, one on the center console and two on the rear shelf. I would hope that I wouldn't need to upgrade all of them. I doubt this would be worth the money.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi!

What you describes sounds like the premium sound system but that should not be with a HU 613. Only the HU 803 uses the centerspeaker.
Max spec from factory with a HU 613 hould be 10 speakers (coaxials on shelf counted as 2)
1*6,5" & 1*1" in each front door
1*6,5" in each rear door
2*8" coaxials with 1" tweeters on the shelf

The factory fitted doorspeakers for cars with no external amp has the following spec.
Power: Nom. 40 W
Frequency: 50-9000 Hz, -6 dB
Impedance: 8 ohm
Sensitivity: 91 dB/W/m

The speakers for the 4*50w amp has this spec.
Power: Nom 75 W
Frequency: 50-9000 Hz, -6 dB
Impedance: 8 ohm
Sensitivity: 86 dB/W/m

As long as you know that you have a bigger amp than the speakers are rated for and not crank it up to the max it should work.
You can see the difference between the standard and upgrade speakers in the cone material, the standard speaker have a papercone (darkgrey) and the upgrade speaker a cone in fibreglass (black)
It's a good way to change one part of the system at a time and evaluate the difference.

If you want to upgrade you should look at this numbers.
Rear door 8633 441-4
Front door 8633 440-6 (with standard panel)
9496 437-6 (with premium panel)
Shelf 8633 949-6

I hope you will be happy with your changes

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Somebody at the dealer told me that the center speaker on my S60 is a "blank". It is just there if I had opted to upgrade to the 803 radio, but that it is empty for the 613 radio system, which means I only have 10 speakers that work. Seems kind of stupid if this is what Volvo did. What a waste. Do you know if this is true??

Michael

·
Registered
194 Posts
quote:

Somebody at the dealer told me that the center speaker on my S60 is a "blank". It is just there if I had opted to upgrade to the 803 radio, but that it is empty for the 613 radio system, ... Do you know if this is true??

Michael
The center speaker is only fitted with the HU-8XX radios since this speaker is part of the Dolby Pro Logic surround sound system. The only radio that is fitted with an amplifier that can drive this speaker is the HU-8XX radio that also has the Dolby Pro Logic decoder that is required to derive the centre channel signal.

To avoid having too many variants of the dashboard top civer all cars are fitted with a centre speaker grille even if the car lacks a centre speaker. Compare with door and hatshelf speaker grilles that are also fitted regardless if there are any speakers behind them or not. This way of handling speakers and grilles is used by most car manufacturers since it saves money, many variants of similar parts costs a lot to keep in stock.

The Volvo C70 is an example of how it can look if you actually have different top covers depending on the centre speaker/navi screen options. This car has twice the number of different top covers as any other
Volvo model. As you can imagine this generates a lot of different part numbers to handle since there are many other factors that also generates variants, like left- or right hand drive, airbag, four different colours, climate sensors etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How can I tell if my front doors have the "Standard Panel" or the "Premium Panel".
The Parts person says that depending upon the panel, there are different speakers that i would upgrade to. I can bring the car to the dealer and let them tell me, but I was hoping to try to figure this out myself first.

·
Registered
194 Posts
quote:

How can I tell if my front doors have the "Standard Panel" or the "Premium Panel".
The premium panel has a larger speaker grille to allow for an 8" woofer and a 3" midrange. You can see that the large lower grille has two openings, one larger for the woofer at the bottom and one smaller facing upwards/rearwards for the midrange. The tweeter grille at the top of the panel is the same between the two panels.

The standard panel has a smaller lower grille that fits a 6.5" woofer/mid and hence only has one opening in the bottom.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I have the "premium" door panels based on your descriptions. My front door has 3 spots for speakers. A "1 inch tweeter" spot up high, and a "6 inch opening" and a "4 inch opening" down towards the bottom.

I am going to bring it by the dealer to have them check for sure. What is confusing to me is that it is almost impossible to see what is inside the speaker grills, so I really don't know what speakers (if any) are even in these grills currently.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts