SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been looking for info on some serious hp upgrades but I am totally unaware of how much this stock motor can handle. I know the Toyota Supra 2jz motor is pretty bullet proof for a stock 3.0l inline 6. Kind of curious as to the limit's of this in line 6 ,3.0L motor.
Not trying to get 506hp like the modded Polestar concept S60R has(a lovely car), but looking to increase the output to at least 400 crank hp if possible. Has anyone here personally had any success with this endeavor in their T6 S80? It's hard to find much on this car other than an ECU upgrade and exhaust(thanks for the info Warpedcow) on the S80 T6.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You can do miracles with cars with proper funding. Adding a turbo or supercharger, widening cylinders, with open exhaust, loosing excess weoght etc.
For a car used for normal driving anything more then 10% increase thru ECU or chip, better air filter and exhaust is not to be realistic without massive investment and comprmise of functionality and comfort.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not talking about going in the motor , nor lightening up the car,however interest in a turbo upgrade if there is one, and upping the boost, along with complimentary mods should easily net 400hp without any sacrifice in comfort or drive ability. The question is if anyone has done it modestly or extreme and could they share.

The mods should run in the neighborhood of at least 4k or a tad less.
fmic
turbo upgrade
exhaust
Ecu
intake

·
Registered
108 Posts
Unfortunately, you would be the first to upgrade the turbo on the S80 T6 as far as I'm aware of. Most owners who like tuning and more power, buy older models or polestar s60/v60's.

I'm with you in belief that the T6 has some awesome potential, but that would require a guinea pig first

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Theoretically, you could mount a larger turbo and run the "safe" (Polestar) levels of boost (roughly 15 psi) but run that boost all the way to near redline and you would probably have 415HP or a bit more. I'm sure the internals would be fine. The Polestar T6 tune (325HP/354lb-ft) runs 14.7 psi midrange but falls off to 9-10psi near red line because the stock turbo is rather small.

Anyway, you would need:

1) Custom exhaust manifold to fit whatever turbo you pick
2) Custom turbo-back exhaust
3) Might need larger FMIC
4) Might/likely need injectors with higher duty cycle
5) Definitely need a custom tune from someone. SharkPerformance is the only US company I know of that would do this. I don't think ARD or others are unlocking and tuning the P3 platform cars yet.
6) Probably a bunch of things I've not thought of. Might need larger intake plumbing as well. Might need to add a larger oil cooler if you want things to stay cool for sustained heavy loads (like 30+ minute track day sessions, etc).

So if you have $7000-10000 to burn, and plenty of time, go for it! Note that doing this may shorten the life of your transmission. Hopefully not too much if it's tuned to protect it (less torque during shifts, etc).

If you want well past 400HP for less money, sell the S80 and get a turbocharged Audi or BMW.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Theoretically, you could mount a larger turbo and run the "safe" (Polestar) levels of boost (roughly 15 psi) but run that boost all the way to near redline and you would probably have 415HP or a bit more. I'm sure the internals would be fine. The Polestar T6 tune (325HP/354lb-ft) runs 14.7 psi midrange but falls off to 9-10psi near red line because the stock turbo is rather small.

Anyway, you would need:

1) Custom exhaust manifold to fit whatever turbo you pick
2) Custom turbo-back exhaust
3) Might need larger FMIC
4) Might/likely need injectors with higher duty cycle
5) Definitely need a custom tune from someone. SharkPerformance is the only US company I know of that would do this. I don't think ARD or others are unlocking and tuning the P3 platform cars yet.
6) Probably a bunch of things I've not thought of. Might need larger intake plumbing as well. Might need to add a larger oil cooler if you want things to stay cool for sustained heavy loads (like 30+ minute track day sessions, etc).

So if you have $7000-10000 to burn, and plenty of time, go for it! Note that doing this may shorten the life of your transmission. Hopefully not too much if it's tuned to protect it (less torque during shifts, etc).

If you want well past 400HP for less money, sell the S80 and get a turbocharged Audi or BMW.
Just need info on the turbo , in order to figure on how much boost and if changing the injectors are necessary. I will call Polestar for more info as well as some of the other vendors.
I will do the cat back and look at a downpipe if at all absolutely necessary even though I know it will be ideal to change it.
The brakes on this car are fantastic but the suspension definitely needs attention.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
By the way I do have a 550whp mitsu being built for roadracing. It is almost finished. Just feel the S80 has some potential to harass the E39 BMW M5 , Audi S4 and a few others. I will keep the limits of the motor and tranny in mind. Iwill get back to the board with whatever info I can find. Thanks again warped cow.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Please do not give up on this. If you could bring t6 s80 tuning to some companies I would love to start pushing my car to the 370+ horsepower range (which it should be fully capable of). This car has so much untapped potential it's sad.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Please do not give up on this. If you could bring t6 s80 tuning to some companies I would love to start pushing my car to the 370+ horsepower range (which it should be fully capable of). This car has so much untapped potential it's sad.
There is lots of engine potential. The 506HP Polestar S60 concept had stock T6 motor internals. Just bigger plumbing and turbo and tuning.
It also had the M66 manual transmission because that can handle the torque... unlike the TF-80SC automatics we all have... :(

·
Registered
848 Posts
Why oh why did this thread die? I need answers!! :p

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts