SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was not a difficult replacement. I'm documenting it anyway since I took pictures. I bought the part at TascaParts for $83 + $10 shipping.

Symptoms: The car makes a clunking noise when going over bumps. The noise sounds like it's coming from the passenger side.
Difficulty: 3/10
Time: 30 min on average
Parts:
* Motor Mount (part number: 31262676 for VIN number up to 190210)
* 15mm socket
* 17mm socket
* 1' extension
* ratchet
* 2 jacks (1 to jack the car, the other to jack the engine)
* piece of 2x4 piece of wood
* Torx 25 (remove bottom splash guard)

Steps:
1) Jack up the car on the passenger side
2) (recommended)Position jack stand
3) Using the Torx 25, remove the underbody splash guard
4) Use a piece of wood and the second jack, jack up the engine a little bit

5) Remove the radiator reservoir by wiggling and pulling straight up.
6) Position the reservoir out over the engine

7) Using the 15mm socket and extension, remove the limiter. That's the retangular piece of metal that goes over the motor mount.
This is what it looks like the limiter removed.

8) Wiggle the engine a little bit. If the engine does not move around, jack up the engine until it does.
9) Using the 17mm socket, remove the two bolts that is attached to the engine. You need to use your muscles here.
10) Remove the motor mount
Mine fell apart

11) Install the new motor mount. You may have to jack up the engine just a bit more if it does not fit.
12) Install the two 17mm bolt
13) Place the limiter back in its place
14) Shift the engine front or back to line up the bolt holes. It is fairly easy to move.
15) Reinstall 15mm bolts
16) Place the reservoir back in its place
17) Remove engine jack
18) Reinstall splash guard

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
Very nice write up. Amazing how many of these go bad but upon inspection no one notices they sag so much.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I wish someone would make a stiffer one. The mazda3 ones look close but not the same.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I wish someone would make a stiffer one. The mazda3 ones look close but not the same.
Hey NB,

GREAT write-up, my god I thought that would never be an issue with our cars. A few questions:

1. Why or what prompted you to replace that specific mount?

2. Have you noticed an improvement in performance or ride? What changed specifically?

3. Someone mentioned a stiffer mount, is it possible to just fill this one with polyeurethane? (That black tar stuff I see often mounts filled with)

Are any of the mounts due for replacement?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Do you also have pictures of the new mount? Comparing the two as well?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you also have pictures of the new mount? Comparing the two as well?
I replaced my mount because it was making a rattling noise when going over bumps. It started a long time ago and got progressively worse over time. It reached a point that when I turn right it made what sounded like a grinding noise. For the longest time I thought it was my struts and cv joint. When I realized it wasn't my struts, I started this thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...r-bumps-and-grinding-noise-when-turning-right

With the new part installed, you can see a little more clearance. It is hard to tell that it is bad even looking directly at it. You can tell the old part is sagging a little bit which cause the two metal parts to hit each other when going over a bump or such.

Old part

New

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Nice write-up. Mine seems fine ATM, good for future reference.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Yep, stickied. Thanks VolvoNB!

·
Registered
43 Posts
GREAT write up! Thrilled to hear that you've solved your (our) issue! I'm caving and just taking mine in to a local shop tomorrow to have them check some other issues I'm having so may have them replace mine just for sheer convenience. I'm convinced that it's the same issue.

Thanks again and congrats!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the compliments. Makes me more inclined to do more HowTos. It helps me as well because I usually go back and do it again in the future.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Nice write up! Recently replaced mine too, but it was done by dealer at regular service. I didn't even notice it was bad...

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Thank You Very much for the great detailed write up!, Im actually going to be ordering mine very soon...

We only have the choice of stock motor mount ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
wow perfect. Got my timing belt done yesterday and they said that mine is like completely gone. Its been making a terrible noise going over bumbs wrong or if i drop the clutch too hard from a stand still. Basically it prevented me from ever spinning the tires as the noise is absolutely horrendous. Ive been ignoring/avoid making the noise it since i bought the car (8 months) because it sounded really expensive. They said it would cost 175-200 to replace at the dealer. How much did the part cost? the cheapest i can find is $105, which i feel is pricey for an engine mount, but much cheaper than i suspected the noise to be. Is it neccesary to lift up the whole side or can i manage just fine on the ground w/ a jack under the pan? Do you know what the torque specs are? This would probably take 15mins in a shop to do this so i dont feel like paying volvo the 200 they want.

They must have repositioned/tightened it when they did the belt because its better than it was, but definatly needs to be replaced. What do you suspect are the dangers of putting this off?

thanks alot -DAVE

·
Registered
357 Posts
I was having the exact same issue. Dealership said it was the lower control arm bushing. Had them replace it. Still had the same problem. They said it was the strut. Wanted 900 to fix so I ordered myself with plans to install next weekend. But I kept thinking there was no way the noise was a strut. Took it in again today and confirmed it was the same motor mount you replaced. Only I didn't think it would be that east to do it myself so i had them do it for me. Exact cost was 257 (parts, labor, taxes) I asked for the old mount and it was also in 2 pieces. Seems like there is a defect with these to go bad so fast. My car is 4 1/2 years old with 45k on it. This is the first car I ever had to replace a mount on and all of my other cars had over 100k on them. Wish I would have seen this before today.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Defect, maybe, but there's a LOT of force on this mount. It's a "pendulum" type - the motor literally hangs on it, unlike other designs. The supposed advantage is size, being able to fit the powerplant in a more compact space. Safety systems too I'm sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
any other mounts you are replacing soon and are willing to write more DIY's for? :D

Thanks, great write-up

·
Registered
43 Posts
Finally had two mounts replaced last week along with several other trouble items (egnition coils, leaking fuel injector seal, sunroof drain leak) and couldn't be happier to have my car back to the way it should be! Will be hanging on to my LCA's I bought from Eurosport for a rainy day when they are ACTUALLY ready to be replaced - unlike the previous Volvo shop I'd been using, who said that they were bad, the new (more reliable) shop got me under the car with him and showed me that my current ones are just fine! Who knew that my "suspension" issues were the damn motor mounts the whole time!

Thanks again to VolvoNB for helping get us to the bottom of this situation! :D

1 - 20 of 141 Posts