SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need sound diagnosis - Howling/roaring/humming

Before I start, believe me, I have spent hours searching possible reasons why the car is making this howling/roaring/humming noise.<p>I'm running on Blizzaks on 17" Pegs. I have hit several curbs... the worst strike was on the passenger front, which has definitely thrown off the alignment (gotta hold the steering wheel to the left a tad to stay straight).<p>Here is what I know about the sound and how it affects the car.<br>1. Its definitely rotational<br>2. The sound dissipates when turning left<br>3. The sound dissipates when braking<br>4. There is a slight vibration which is running through the cabin at cruising speeds.<br>5. I can feel like a rotational "grinding" at low speeds (below 10mph). It feels like something is contacting the pads/rotors.<br>6. The steering wheel does not shake<br>7. The sound has progressively gotten worse over time.<p>What I have checked:<br>1. All 4 wheels/hubs, twice. I've tried shaking, pulling, spinning, and I gathered nothing. They all feel about the same, no metallic grinding sounds or high pitched noise from any of the hubs. All felt nice and tight <br>2. All 4 tires. Checked for bulges, bands showing, and just the general condition of the tire. Definitely have some uneven wear going on the front though. (Ex. the driver front tire has more wear on the outside than its inside, the passenger front has more wear on the inside than the outside...)<br>3. CV Joints. None were cracked, leaking, clicking, or doing anything funny.<p>So SwedeSpeeders...whats your recommendation? What else can I look at? Should I just take it to Mr. Tire or some tire place to have them check it out? 'Cause I can't find poop...<p>One strange thing though, when I was checking out the passenger rear hub, when I was first spinning it, I heard something was grinding. Come to find out, the brake shield was slightly contacting it lol. Haven't driven it yet since then. But after bending the shield back, that particular grinding noise stopped.<br>

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the brake hum which sounds more like blowing over the top of an empty beer bottle.

·
6,436 Posts
Re: Need sound diagnosis - Howling/roaring/humming (rollerskatenate)

I had a similar humming noise wbefore my angle gear went out....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (phuz)

Well it does kind of sound like that. Its a very hollow and constant sound. It sounds like the tires are badly cupped. <p>It has been doing this for awhile now and progressively gets worse. About the angle gear, I checked the housing, as well as just the whole undercarriage, and there are no leaks.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
FV-QR

I know you've checked them, but I would still say you might have a wheel bearing going. I ended up replacing both of my rears because of the awful howling sound, with a slight grind at very low speeds. I did the same thing as you; put the car up and turn the bearings etc. Mine "felt" fine, until I took them off the car. Holy hell they were messed up! I could feel metal on metal contact and it was like I was spinning a ratchet. I think the reason that it is hard to feel a bad bearing while it is on the car is because when you spin the driveline like that, you are mostly feeling other things, like the diff etc. The wheel bearing has a relatively light effect on what you feel when you are turning the hubs by hand. Just a suggestion...I'm not sure if the kind of howling you're talking about is the same kind I've heard.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: FV-QR (Evos_R)

It turned out to be a bad front driver wheel bearing. I'm going to tackle the job myself in a little bit as I just overnighted a new hub. Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, etc. when it comes to talking a front wheel bearing replacement?<p>I found a pretty good DIY on here so I think I got it down...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: FV-QR (rollerskatenate)

So... I replaced the driver front wheel hub with relative ease after I figured out what I had to undo to get to those 4 bolts (which hold the hub). Actually think I skipped a few steps, but anyway... The friggin noise is still there! I can clearly hear the bad wheel bearing is in the rear. Granted, the front one must have been bad, as the "wub wub wub" has subsided, but its still there. I hope the rear is similar to the the front as Ill be able to do it lickity split. <p>I guess this is one of the perks for owning one of these cars.<p>/Rant

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm guessing it's the rear bearing or bearings. Mine was like that - checked both sides and on one side there was a little shake in the hub, so I knew it was bad. The other side felt fine. After replacing the bad side the car was quiet for a week before the other side failed and the roar returned. These Italian hubs most definitely have seal issues. Someone should really produce a better aftermarket piece.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: (wideturnone)

Is this problem rampant with the Rs?<br>I had something like this pop up yesterday, on the highway at 60mph when a howl / tone quickly ramped up to a VERY high volume. Loudness decreased as I came to a stop, but that allowed me to notice a grinding noise at the same time. <br>I couldn't see anything wrong with any rim or rotor, so I tested some forward motion again, and the noise was gone - for five miles. <br>Is it possible that noise from a bad wheel bearing could come and go like that? The car seems REAL new to have this kind of issue.<p>Thanks!

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Re: (S60RNicks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>S60RNicks</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is this problem rampant with the Rs?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>It's rampant with all modern Volvos (I had bad wheel bearings on my T5 and my R) though obviously spirited driving will contribute to the issue, so statistically that will hit Rs and T5s more...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the other hub on its way from Tasca. And I'm sure my driving style and holding all of these cruises have not helped with this issue haha.<p>I can not wait to have a quiet ride again!<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by rollerskatenate at 10:26 AM 1-5-2010</i>

·
Registered
956 Posts
So are the hubs a poor design or is it poor quality control from the parts supplier?<p>My high speed ride is getting noisy and me thinks a front bearing is on the way out. When my rear bearing failed at 35k kms (20k miles) I couldn't believe it. Until this car I have never replaced bearings. My old Toyota truck did require a repack but that was at 150k miles. My 9 year old Dodge truck has never made a peep. What up Volvo?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: (Warpedcow)

FYI, my intermittent noise was actually the center driveshaft contacting the exhaust. This is apparently a documented problem with Volvo AWD, and dealers should have the fix in stock. <p>It makes sense that it wasn't bearing noise, as it came and went under straight-line driving, and was unaffected by side to side loading.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Is this problem rampant with the Rs?<br>I had something like this pop up yesterday, on the highway at 60mph when a howl / tone quickly ramped up to a VERY high volume. Loudness decreased as I came to a stop, but that allowed me to notice a grinding noise at the same time. <br>I couldn't see anything wrong with any rim or rotor, so I tested some forward motion again, and the noise was gone - for five miles. <br>Is it possible that noise from a bad wheel bearing could come and go like that? The car seems REAL new to have this kind of issue.<p>Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Sorry I meant I have the same intermittent growl/howl at speed problem as S60Rnicks

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Sorry I meant I have the same intermittent growl/howl at speed problem as S60Rnicks
Wheel bearings are your issue in most cases. How many miles? One will go before the other and only hear it when turning the wheel one way while driving.
The fronts are easy to replace, but the rears are harder. Do them all at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts