SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Search only returned one link so.

past few days, starting fairly suddenly the rear end has began to howl. It "seems" to come from the right rear, and it is most significant from 30-60mph, although it is always there at any speed .

Only have 50 k so its seems a bit suprsing to see this develop at all. Although the warranty just ended so its no suprise there is an issue.

Will obvioulsly be taking it in but figured i would ask if anyone had insight.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
981 Posts
Re: Howl out of Rear end?? (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »
Wheel bearing, almost certainly.

...or cupped tires.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Re: (Arbelac)

Quote, originally posted by Arbelac »
Wheel bearing is the most common culprit.

Bump I had one and I think I have another. :-(h

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: Howl out of Rear end?

This is, most certainly, your rear wheel bearings. I wanted to believe it was my tires, but it wasn't. It was both rear bearings that made the howl, and hence, they needed to be replaced. You're right, 50k is early for the bearings to fail, but they do. I was at 52k when I had them replaced ($400 for both rear bearings.)

If you get a chance, take a peek at the new OEM bearings vs the old style. The new ones are sealed much better, which helps protect against rain, snow, and other elements that corrode bearings.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (fergs60r)

Quote, originally posted by fergs60r »
i thought bearing as well but at 50k thats really soon

Not on these cars.

I've had 3 go, 2 in under 50k.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Howl out of Rear end?? (rushin_max)

Quote, originally posted by rushin_max »

...or cupped tires.

True, although I have cupped rears which I found out when I swapped them to the front and they were hellaciously noisy. Put them on the rear and they are really not noticable.

So it could be cupped tires, but I think the bearing is more likely.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re: Howl out of Rear end?? (fergs60r)

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me...although it could be the tires. I'd give a quick check to the pressure, tread wear, etc. to make sure they look okay.

-Eric

·
Registered
104 Posts
Re: Howl out of Rear end?? (Sue Esponte)

Another vote for wheel bearings (I've replaced 2) unless you put milk in the gas tank. That always makes my rear end howl.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Howl out of Rear end?? (ReseRved)

new tires and just rotated so i wll go with the bearings...anyone done this themselves or is this a mechanic job only

·
Registered
836 Posts
Phew -- I thought the title of the thread referred to the "end" result of our tour of the Yuengling brewery!

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts

new tires and just rotated so i wll go with the bearings...anyone done this themselves or is this a mechanic job only

I haven't done them on the R but I've done them on other cars. It's typically a pain in the arse, time consuming job but it's not really that difficult if you have the right tools.

-Eric

·
Registered
920 Posts
Re: Howl out of Rear end?? (Sue Esponte)

Volvo must use one of the cheapest kinds of wheel bearings on the market. At work we fix at least 2 or 3 a day on all cars from S40s with 40k on the tach to S80s and XC90s wright around 60k. I'll attribute the XC and 80 to their massive weight, but still....

·
Registered
587 Posts

Wheel bearing, especially if the howl dissipates when you turn the wheel left or right (that howl gets louder over time - and even my hard-of-hearing grandmother noticed it). My left rear was done at 51K.. several others on here were also at about the same mileage. Order it from http://www.tascavolvoparts.com and if you can't do a bearing yourself, find a good mechanic NOT a stealership as they will charge you big $$$ and this is only an hour job. Parts & labor for me was $231.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Howl out of Rear end?? (scootss60)

MacUnited, you had two new rear wheel bearings at 48K before you picked it up

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rear axle nut torque?

Ok, I've searched the myriad of threads on rear wheel bearings, and while several people have installed their own hubs, I cannot find the torque information for the rear hub center nut (or Axle Nut). This should be a critical torque, and is usually quite a large number, so I want to make sure I have the proper specs before installing the hubs, which should be coming early next week.

IPD was kind enough to give me general torque specs to use for the 4 hub bolts, but I'd love to have specific confirmation on those as well as the axle nut.

Would anyone be so kind as to look this up on VADIS (which I don't have access to) and let me know? The car is an '04 V70R.

In return, I'll take pictures, and put a decent "How to" together on the site, including all the torques, tools, and procedure to do it.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Rear axle nut torque? (sford56)

Quote, originally posted by sford56 »
Ok, I've searched the myriad of threads on rear wheel bearings, and while several people have installed their own hubs, I cannot find the torque information for the rear hub center nut (or Axle Nut). This should be a critical torque, and is usually quite a large number, so I want to make sure I have the proper specs before installing the hubs, which should be coming early next week.

IPD was kind enough to give me general torque specs to use for the 4 hub bolts, but I'd love to have specific confirmation on those as well as the axle nut.

Would anyone be so kind as to look this up on VADIS (which I don't have access to) and let me know? The car is an '04 V70R.

In return, I'll take pictures, and put a decent "How to" together on the site, including all the torques, tools, and procedure to do it.

Thanks,
Scott

There is a torque specs list in the FAQ thread at the top. See if it is in there (yes, I am being lazy)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Re: (fergs60r)

i thought bearing as well but at 50k thats really soon

My left rear wheel bearing was replaced at 5K. Go figure!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts