SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howl or whine from bevel gear?

I have have a 2000 V70 XC and it had a problem with no AWD, just the front was running, come to find out the collar between the transfer case (bevel gear Assy) and the transmission had the splines stripped, the bevel gear unit was not serviceable so we replaced the collar and the bevel gear assy. Well after that it has now created a whine that comes and goes like a switch being flipped on at times. It does not relate to speed other than the pitch, it does not relate to shifting in the AT and it does not relate to engine rpm. So we figured we got a bad rebuilt bevel gear from Volvo, so we replaced under warranty, but problem did not go away. So after reading I heard it could be a tire mismatch as far as different wear, so I replaced all tires with 4 new, problem did not go away. One thing that I did notice before the first repair is with the windows down going between 10 and 50 mph you could hear a hydralic pump type sound coming from under the vehicle, and that related to vehicle speed, well after the 1st and 2nd bevel gear assy was replaced that went away, then i notice that I had AWD going forward, but not in reverse, the rear would not go backwards, come to find out the viscous coupling at the input to the rear differential was not spinning in reverse, most likely the source of the hydralic noise which I don't hear anymore. I have not replaced the viscus coupling yet as thats another $1300 and this car is making me poor. So my question is does anyone have expience with this whine/howl, which is very noticable when the windows are rolled up. As well as has anyone had expiernce with this viscous coupling issue, and can anyone confirm that both these things might be related. Any thoughts, ideas, or expierences would be great, thanks,
BR

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Wouldn't say mine was a howl or whine more like a blowing into a bottle top. I thought it was my brakes AthruC said it could be the grommet by the steering column. I balanced the wheels had loose tie rod ends did those and an alignment now I don't hear it. could hear it with windows up not down though. Also when under 40 mph slowing down up to about 20-30 mph on the acceleration. I do have a weeping angle gear, though ever since i've done those things can't hear no more blowing sound.
Hope you find your problem, good luck perhaps it is similar to mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.