SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its gotten to a point where when I take long medium to tight corners, because there is so little feel in the steering as it is, that the car almost wants to "hop" out of the corner and understeer. I'm not going excessively fast for the corner, just that because there's so much give in the steerring, that when turning I have to make sure that the steering doesn't give TOO much that I leave the corner too early.<p>So how can I improve steering and handling? I know better tires, lowering springs and strut bars will all help a little but what about making steering more responsive like a newer car? What would one expect to fix/replace to achieve this?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: How would one improve steering / handling? (Barry)

You really can't The only thing you can do is rebuild everything on the front end, lower the car with whatever spring you choose AND install a set of sway bars, engine bushings, etc.<br>The bars help a lot because you will have less lean, the car will be more responsive. The tighter (and lower) all around you make it, the better it will be but naturally you will start loosing ride quality.<br>If you think your steering is THAT bad install a rebuilt steering rack. That may not though be your problem. <br>If you think everything is pretty good in the front end I would go for a set of IPD bars, a shock tower brace and start with that first. <br>You <B>will</B> notice a <B>big </B>improvement without any degredation in ride quality.<br>You did mention it, but tires and wheel size DO make a HUGE difference.<br>The lower profile and the stickier tire you go, the better the steering response but at the expense of ride quality.<br>There's this fine line with Volvos, it can be acheived, but it's tricky<br>Also, although I've never used them, those Slater lower control arms <I>should</I> help<br><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by JRL at 4:11 PM 7-8-2006</i>

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How would one improve steering / handling? (JRL)

Thanks for the info JRL, it isn't THAT bad but it gets scarey enough at high speeds where I really don't dare to go fast for too long, heck just tonight I got out run by a newer model Polo simply because I lose my nerve going above 160kmh, 150 is a comfortable cruising speed though.<p>I do plan on adding springs and tower brace in the very near future, I hope those improve handling. Will also be adding 18" Pegs with new tires too, possibly a set of Eagle F1's, read some good reviews about them.<p>

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Re: How would one improve steering / handling? (Barry)

I lowered my car with Koni and the handling is a lot better.... BUT.... the steering got a bit knackered because when you lower the car the cambers and castors get affected. So now it has a tendancy to drift away to the left (mine is UK car - right hand drive). <p>Also, the steering doesn't self-center at the very last degree. <p>I would like to add a strut bar. They're about £80 and should be good I hope.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: How would one improve steering / handling? (Token)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Token</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I lowered my car with Koni and the handling is a lot better.... BUT.... the steering got a bit knackered because when you lower the car the cambers and castors get affected. So now it has a tendancy to drift away to the left (mine is UK car - right hand drive). <p>Also, the steering doesn't self-center at the very last degree. <p>I would like to add a strut bar. They're about £80 and should be good I hope.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Strut bar won't help that. You need a front camber kit and get your alignment in order

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: How would one improve steering / handling? (JRL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Barry</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So how can I improve steering and handling? I know better tires, lowering springs and strut bars will all help a little but what about making steering more responsive like a newer car? What would one expect to fix/replace to achieve this?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>You can start out by buying better traction tires for the front, If you can, get stiffer springs for the rear, it'll balance the front more<p>I don't know much about the C70 suspension design but common steering applies to all cars

1 - 6 of 6 Posts