SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo uses 2 blue plastic sliders to keep their windows on track. Over time these sliders tend to crack causing the window to dive or fall into the door. Volvo charges around around $400 to fix this but you can do it for under $10.

1.) Call your local volvo dealer and ask for part number 3509416. I paid less than 5 dollars each.

On the left is the good part with the clip and on the right is the broken one-

2.) Remove the triangle piece on the inside coner of the window. It is held on by 3 clips. Be careful as they are brittle.

3.)Remove your door panel. It is held on by 8 push pin style clips. Use a small screwdriver to push the center of the clip in and pull the clip out. Remove the grey clip, green clip, and door handle cable and set the door panel somewhere safe.

Once the panel is off the door will look like this-

Now remove the foam to get to the window-

4.) Now you need to position your window so you can replace the broken slider. Since I already had the door apart I decided to replace both sliders. The rear one is easier than the front one (in relation to when the door is closed). The rear one can be accesses through the big opening in the door. Here is a picture of the regulator arm without the blue slider on it.

5.)Put on a liberal coating of white lithium grease and put the slider on the track. Pull the arm slightly away from the track, line up the slider and pop the ball on the arm into the slider. Now put the little black clip on the slider. Rear is done.

6.) Now move the window so you can access the front slider. This one needs to be replaced through the tiny hole by the speaker. Remove the foam circle and set it aside. Now try and maneuver the slider into place just like the rear, and pop the clip on. It helps to use a small pair of needle nose pliers to get it started due to the lack of room.

7.) Use some double sides tape to secure the foam pieces back on the door. Re-install the electrical connections and door handle cable, and pop the door panel clips back in. The clips go in by removing the center pin, installing the big part of the clip and then pushing the little pin back in. Now make sure your window works. I had to slightly guide mine up one time, I'm guess that it just needed a little help getting back in line. That's it! Stand back and admire your handy work.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
you've got to be kidding me. they should recall that kind of crap.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: How To: Window slider replacement (sacrifice)

Nice post. Very helpful fix for a common problem. Pics were great! Plus you get points for being from Jersey. I grew up on the shore, exit 98.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

Sweet, now why would the dealer charge $400 for that
and

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

Excellent write up. Thanks for taking the time.

Tim

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: How To: Window slider replacement (850arrrsaylikepirate)

Quote, originally posted by 850arrrsaylikepirate »
Sweet, now why would the dealer charge $400 for that
and

my mom was charged a little over 500. they replaced this and the regulator. probably more around 350 for just replacing the sliders. and also, BECAUSE THEY CAN

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

Talk about needing the lube for the anal port, jeezzus.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Re: (inteller)

Great writeup, awesome... thanks! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Quote, originally posted by inteller »
you've got to be kidding me. they should recall that kind of crap.

Why? I'd love if it was recalled (mine failed tonight) but every VW and Audi I've owned has suffered from this failure. My dad says 'don't get power windows, that stuff just breaks and it'll just cost you money" ... He's 76 this year.

I just keep replacing window clips and sliders, the cars change but the problems remain.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts

Awesome writeup and great pictures! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Did basically this same repair for one of the windows on my ol' 850

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Re: (-Pascal)

Quote, originally posted by -Pascal »
My dad says 'don't get power windows, that stuff just breaks and it'll just cost you money" ... He's 76 this year.

I'm only 50 and I'd have to agree with your dad...just try finding a nice car with role-up windows nowadays..

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

Thanks for such a useful and complete post!

Quote, originally posted by sacrifice »
BECAUSE THEY CAN
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Quote, originally posted by Blurry »
I'm only 50 and I'd have to agree with your dad...just try finding a nice car with role-up windows nowadays..
Well, I'm 61, and the 2nd-to-last car I had with roll-up windows was a '79 BMW 530i. It was so hard to turn the window crank handles that I can still recall yelling at my wife as she used two hands to try and lower the window "Stop or the handle is going to come off in your hand!" They worked great on my '87 Sentra, though.

Just when you wonder what other stupid thing can go wrong with these cars that should not be going wrong with them, all you have to do is come here and find out!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the compliments guys. also if a mod sees this, would you mind adding it to the list of writeups in the stickys? that would save people from searching in the future

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
thanks buddy! i wasnt able to get to my appt to get it fixed last week due to work, im going to try and get in later this week. Hopefully they will fix it for free since they just did the same repair less than 2 months ago..

Im more angry that it ruined my tint, again.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: (AbsolutZer0)

My window started acting funny today, how do you diagnose that the problem is with these clips? Mine makes a kinda loud-ish sound when just starting to move down, like it's stuck on something and then pops off of it, and then as it goes down the front part of the window goes down too fast and there is a gap between the rear part of the window and the pillar - it kinda dives down "nose first" and gets crooked. I can push it down and it goes back flush. Putting the window back up seems to be no problem.

We've had frost at night and I first noticed when trying to move the window up and down to scrape off the frost. I guess that's not something I should be doing.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you probably broke the front clip. my moms broke when she tried to do the same exact thing with the frost.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Re: (sacrifice)

Quote, originally posted by sacrifice »
you probably broke the front clip. my moms broke when she tried to do the same exact thing with the frost.

It's an effing design flaw if you ask me. Swedish car, heavy sales in cold weather environment. they should know that most people wont have sparkling clean windows when rolling them down during the winter.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Awesome, at the very least this should go on to one of the quick-launch threads.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

Quote, originally posted by AbsolutZer0 »
thanks buddy! i wasnt able to get to my appt to get it fixed last week due to work, im going to try and get in later this week. Hopefully they will fix it for free since they just did the same repair less than 2 months ago..

Im more angry that it ruined my tint, again.

Present this link to help them get it done right the second time around.

I had the experience of service scratching my tint years ago- they were good enough to pick up the cost of replacement. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Excellent OP!
Scott

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The same day I traded my R this happened to my passenger side window. Dealer fixed for approx $150. Traded the car about 4 hours later.

·
Registered
572 Posts

The front clip is way easier to replace if you remove the black cap above the speaker and work through there.

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 64 Posts