SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 60 of 212 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,184 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great job on the videos! It's funny too ... just today I attempted to remove the bixenons on my '06 S40. The manual didn't provide that last step necessary. Perhaps you can recommend an online shop where bixenons can be purchased at a reasonable price?

Just one other question, I've been wanting to paint my grill black for quite some time. What paint did you use to give it that finish? Looks great!

·
Super Moderator
15,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I got my 6000K bulbs on Amazon, $120 for the pair. So much better than the 4300K that came stock

I painted my grille with plasti-dip, gives it that matte finish. Best part is that it's SUPER durable, but I can peel it all off if I want to change. Plasti-dip is THE STUFF!!! (Home Depot for like $5 for an aerosol can) My slash is done with 3M dinoc though.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Awesome videos, I'm sure I will be coming back to these quite often, thank you.

I tried out the "How to remove center air vent" and I just couldn't pop mine out. When you popped your clips out with the butterknife it sounded very clear cut, pop and done, and they were out. Mine had one or two pops on each side but were still very tight. I started on the bottom of the vent like you did, and the only way the vent would stay out is if I put a pen or two in there to hold it, otherwise it would just recede back in and click tight again. I left two pens in the bottom and tried prying out the top, and it was even harder than the bottom. I had to give up because I was going to either break my butterknife, foam, or something else with the prying action.

·
Super Moderator
15,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I tried out the "How to remove center air vent" and I just couldn't pop mine out. When you popped your clips out with the butterknife it sounded very clear cut, pop and done, and they were out. Mine had one or two pops on each side but were still very tight. I started on the bottom of the vent like you did, and the only way the vent would stay out is if I put a pen or two in there to hold it, otherwise it would just recede back in and click tight again. I left two pens in the bottom and tried prying out the top, and it was even harder than the bottom. I had to give up because I was going to either break my butterknife, foam, or something else with the prying action.
Removing anything for the first time will be a lot harder. Just keep working at it, maybe get a friend and two butter knives? I've also seen people start with popping the clips on the top first, that may work for you if the top ones seem to be the most stuck.

I will say, if you were to accidentally break the clips, I'm pretty sure the vent would still stay put without them (or at least with some double sided foam tape), it's a pretty snug fit.

Your 6000k dont seem to put out as much as the 4300?
They actually put out a LOT more. The picture may be a bad example.... It had just started raining so the crack in the driveway had water puddling up around it (that's why it's more reflective right there).

This may be a better example, right before the rain started :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi MyName... excellencet video's ....
i followed you removal of headlghts and zenon bulb change. i also noticed that you placed some sealant in your headlights? i have moisture in the left headlights and wonderign if you can include a video where to place sealants and the kind of sealant you used. thanks and more power!

·
Super Moderator
15,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
i also noticed that you placed some sealant in your headlights? i have moisture in the left headlights and wonderign if you can include a video where to place sealants and the kind of sealant you used. thanks and more power!
First thing would be to remove the cover lens to the headlight assembly. Clean out the inside and let it dry. Then reseal along the line where the clear plastic lens meets the assembly (you'll need to completely remove all of the factory adhesive before applying the new sealant).

I used a 4 hour rain ready window sealant from Home Depot (1 hand squeeze tube for each headlight, sold with the caulking and tapes). It's held up for months now, just fine!

Let me know if you have further questions and I'll try to take some pics. A video won't do much since I don't intend to take apart my headlight again. I'm more than willing to help if I can!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
These are very good and very useful.

May I suggest doing one for the cabin air filter replacement. Might what to be ready to bleep out any choice words though. I know I use a few whenever I change mine; not to mention band aids. ;)
Stan

·
Super Moderator
15,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
That would turn out as a PG13 video - language and violent gestures with with a screw driver.

Though I am almost due for another cabin filter replacement, I don't know if I could make a video of it... It's hard enough fitting myself back there to remove it, let alone a camera and a proper light source. But I can try!

The sticky on this is very useful though, the real challenge is just working in such a tight space.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Thanks very much for your videos men!

You can show how to make the blue effect?

Best regards from Chile!

·
Super Moderator
15,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
You can show how to make the blue effect?
The blue ring is just blue vinyl tint. I put it on when I had the headlights taken apart. There's many other write ups on this for when installing Halo lights.

The blueish hue to the projector beam itself is stock with the bi-xenon cars.

·
Super Moderator
15,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
A few of you have requested this:

How to disassemble and reassemble the headlight assemblies.

I have another project up my sleeves, and a video of this will be posted in the next few weeks. Stay tuned!

41 - 60 of 212 Posts