SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While Boot Camp is a nice solution for running VIDA, and I have a computer where I do just that, I swapped to an SSD based Mac and can't justify wasting 30+ GB just for VIDA. So I looked into options for running it without BootCamp. Oracle makes a free virtulization program called VirtualBox and it works. All you need is a Windows disk image, VIDA disk image, and some time. It installs just fine. The only things that you need to do are install the VirtualBox USB controllers and the "Guest additions" ISO. Enjoy your recaptured SSD space! And ability to look things up/screenshot (if you keep your bootcamp box/ virtual machine off the web for "reasons".

·
Registered
128 Posts
Also, did you install any other software on your clean Win7 VM before installing VIDA?

http://blog.obdresource.com/vida-not-ok-issue-volvo-dice-install/ says to install:
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable
Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0
Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack

Is it okay to go with Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express Edition instead?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To update this thread... VirtualBox did not support USB3 at the time (idk about now) so I ended up with VMWare Fusion because it had usb passthrough. I now just have a VM of Windows and VIDA I keep backed up so I never have to deal with the torture of installing VIDA again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.